two questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• two questions

1. What are the desired levels of alk and calcium for the effluent of a calcium reactor? The effluent from my 110cr is running at about 490ppm calcium and off the charts for alk.

2. Price and availability of zeo salt?

Thanks,

Ted

2. KZ salt is due in within the next week or two. I don't have the pricing yet. I will update as soon as I get the pricing.

1. I genreally don't worry about the effluent parameters, I would check your tank daily to see the impact it has on your tank. If that makes sense.
    Brian

Comment

What should the pH be inside the reactor? Also, I am dripping the effluent into a little container and measuring effluent pH there. Will there be a difference in pH readings if I measure in the reactor chamber instead?

Ted

BTW - it seems my phosphates are down to undetectable levels. No wonder my brown acropora was turning a shade of green.
      Last edited by adobo; 07-21-2005, 01:39 PM.

Comment

I would shoot for a PH of 6.5 and if it does not maintain your tank, decrease it to 6.4. There will be a slight difference by checking the ph in the chamber, but nothing major. I prefer to measure in the chamber though.
        Good news on the Brown Acro. It should continue to increase color as you go.
        Brian

Comment

The pH level sort of depends on the media you are running and your particular setup. To be safe, I'd start at 6.7 and gradually lower. Remember if you can't keep your CA and Alk to where you want it you may have to adjust both your effluent rate AND your CO2 input. Also, remember the CA reactor is to MAINTAIN CA and ALK levels, not raise them. You've gotta get 'em where you want 'em and keep 'em there with the reactor.
          10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
          BK400ext
          RD12 return, 2 RD12 closed loop, wavebox with extension
          MRC kalkmixer
          IKS

Comment

Also single or dual stage? If dual stage check the effluent of the first chamber..

Comment

I tested alkalinity this morning and found almost no change from the readings I got when I installed the ractor on Saturday (~ 6 dkh). I have not tested calcium yet but the last time I checked, it was at 350ppm. I think I need more time to see if the calcium and alk are trending up or down based on my current settings. A few days may not be adequate.

I use that chunky coral gravel stuff that you often see in the schuran reactor pics. My reactor is a single chamber h&s reactor.

Thanks,

Ted

Comment

Hi Ted, generally 24-48hrs. in between adjustments, should give one a trend, with the exception that of new media in the Ca Rx. Bob
                "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Working...
                X