Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H&S

hi Brian,
    what kind of Acrylic is H&S using ? cast or extruded?

Heinz,
    It has been said that it is form of Extruded acrylic that is different than US extruded.(Very similar to US cast). I have sent a e-mail to H&S Germany to get an official answer. I should have that info for you tomorrow.
    Thanks,
    Brian
    Brian

Comment

if you get the text in german, i wont mind to translate it for you, i would think H&S is not using extruded, but lets see what they have to say,

Comment

"The acrylic we use for the skimmers is the best you can get here
        on the market."

That is part of the answer from H&S. The terms Extruded and Cell Cast do not correspond to how there supplier rate the acrylic that is avialable to them.
        I will investigate it a little further and see what I can find out on how it is different.

The acrylic used on the H&S is way better than the extruded that is used on the US skimmers, but looks a little different than the US Cell Cast, but form shipping both US made Cell cast skimmers and the German Made units, I have found the H&S to hold up better in shipping.

HTH
        Brian
        Fins Reef
        Brian

Comment

thanx for the info, i didnt think H&S would use regular extrueded acrylic, its funny how fast a rumor starts

Comment

Interesting. I would love to hear how an extruded acrylic has a hire tensile strength than cast. Give us the dirt Brian

Comment

I got my a150-f2001 yesterday and played with it quite a bit. Though I am just a lay person when it comes to acrylic, I think I have a sharp enough eye to add my 2 cents.

My a150 looks like it is using 3 types of plastic on the skimmer body. The reaction chamber and the skimmer cup is constructed with acrylic that looks very similar to the acrylic used on my euro reef cs 6-1 (which I understand to be cell cast). On the skimmer cup lid, there is a ring of acrylic that is clearly a different type of acrylic than the acrylic on the skimmer body. It has a bluish tinge and has "striations" that lead me to believe that it is very similar to what they call extruded acrylic here in the U.S. Incidentally, pics of deltec skimmers lead me to belive that the entire skimmer body on a deltec use this same "extruded acrylic" looking material. The third type of plastic that I noticed is PVC which is used to brace the skimmer body, used as the top for the skimmer cup and used as the platform for the skimmer to sit on.

I'd love to find out how they grade acrylic in germany and how that compares to the premium acrylics offered here in the U.S.

Comment

I was told that in Germany they use extruded and "GS". I am guessing that GS is what we call "cell cast".

Comment

Brian,

Any more insight as to grades of plastic used in german skimmers?

Thanks..

Comment

Ted,
                    Not yet, but I am trying to find out as much detail as possible.
                    Thanks,
                    Brian
                    Brian

Comment

Who's the guy who owns the BK 500? Naga? Something like that. He's an acrylic fabricator in Maryland or the like and has owned probably every euro make skimmer under the sun. He said that yes H&S and Deltec both use a form of
                      "extruded", but it's not like US extruded. Much tougher
                      10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
                      BK400ext
                      RD12 return, 2 RD12 closed loop, wavebox with extension
                      MRC kalkmixer
                      IKS

Comment

Moon,

I own both euro reef (cast acrylic) and h&s (german extruded acrylic??). I also have a phosban reactor (extruded acrylic). I can tell you that the h&s acrylic is closer to cast acrylic in looks than to the extruded acrylic on the phosban reactor. On all of the extruded acrylic products I've seen, I have noticed plenty of blemishes and striations. Presumably, those things happen as part of the manufacturing process. The body of my H&S skimmer has none of these characteristics.

Somehow I feel there is more to the story than we have heard. I'm personally very interested in finding some of the details as I'm sure there was some thought put to the choice of materials.

Ted

Comment

well, maybe its like the glass, there is no starphire available in germany, and there is no weissglass in the US, at least as far i know, maybe its the same thing with acrylic,

Comment

The labels 'extruded', 'cast' etc... can mean many things... just like leaded and unleaded (or diesel) can refer to a wide variety of particular fuels. Which smells most? Well... diesel, but there are now low-sulphur diesels that smell less than unleaded gas. What makes more of an impact is the exact process.

Also, keep in mind that there are two types of cast arylic as well... 'continuous cast' and 'cell cast'. Extruded shares some traits with the continuous cast, since it is made on a very long conveyor belt (500 feet long or more). The traits of each can be manipulated depending on how they are made.

Extruded in the US consists of plastic pellets that are heated up and run through a pair of rollers to produce a sheet as wide as the rollers. It is weak because it has a grain. It is possible to heat the pellets up more, or use a different pellet composition, and produce a stronger material. The pellets can even be mixed with the cast 'syrup' to make a hybrid material that is almost like cast, but much cheaper to produce...

And the Chinese... dont even get me started on them. Most of the stuff they put out is liquified with plasticizers (often too toxic and illegal in other countries) and recycled. Those Shenzhen Honya use recycled acrylic... man, that is just nasty stuff to work with.

Comment

Working...
                            X