No announcement yet.

Aubrey’s Acros

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I have just lost a pink acropora Spathulata frag. I think a combination of a cleaned and fully functioning skimmer, too fast increase in alkalinity and the temperature increase last week were to blame.

    I have changed an actinic bulb to a blue plus for a slightly brighter look so i now have 4x blue plus, 2x coral plus, 1 x aquablue special and 1x purple plus. I am considering another purple to replace the aquablue.

    Alkalinity consumption is confirmed and increasing so i have increased my doser amounts.

    No other KZ products are being added as of yet although i am considering Zeofood plus once a week.

    Alk - 7.5
    calcium - 450
    Magnesium - 1320
    Potassium - 400
    Nitrate - 2.5
    Phosphate - 7pbb (0.02)

    I am happy with these numbers so i will continue with the current feeding.


    • #17


      • #18


        • #19


          • #20
            Consumption continues to increase daily. I am now dosing 72ml of Fauna Marin carbonate a day, spread over 12 doses (every 2 hrs).

            I have made a conscious effort to not put my hands in the tank and it looks like it is paying off. It may also be the additional blue plus bulb that is helping.

            On advice of G.Alexander i have increased my Zeostart 3 dosing from 0.1ml a day to 0.2ml.

            I usually perform a 15% WC weekly and 20% WC on the first weekend of the month so this weekend will be a 20% WC. I cleaned the sump and skimmer last week so this weekend i will vacuum the sand and clean the wavemakers.


            • #21
              The tank continues to progress well using just Zeobak, Biomate, Sponge Power, Zeostart and Coral Vitalizer.

              Still running 50% of zeolite and 50% zeostart which is keeping nutrients undetectable, even with 3x a day feeding. Cyano is reducing, however i have bryopsis. I will deal with this later as it is not a huge problem at the moment.

              Coral color is good, PE is good. Many are lightening with colour coming through. Pink millipora is now more pink than red and all LPS, especially Goniopora are ding very well.

              I have 1 more week before my first zeolite change and will more than likely continue to run 50% zeolites (about 300ml) as the tank seems to be happy here with corals growing well.

              I will be doing an ICP test before i change the zeolites to see what 6 weeks of running zeovit has done to trace elements.


              • #22


                • #23
                  alk 7.7
                  ca 415
                  mag 1290
                  K+ 390
                  no3 0.2
                  po4 0

                  cyano almost gone but bryopsis has taken hold. There is a treatment, in Fluconazole that will ombat this but i have corals arriving in the next week or two so am reluctant to do anything to unsettle the tank either just before or during the new corals settlement.

                  Coral growth is great and colours are improving.


                  • #24
                    First change of zeolites complete. I have now moved up to 75% of the recommended quantity of stones. I also removed a lot of the smaller gravel sized pieces as they were clogging the reactor holes.I have drilled out the reactor holes a little larger to help flow through the stones rather than the water by pass them.

                    Flow is 144lph (measured) and 425ml of zeolites. Zeostart 3 will remain the same for a 2 weeks (50% - 0.2ml/day) and i will make a judgement at this point whether to increase or keep it the same.

                    the first stones were run for 6 weeks and if i am honest, over the past 3 or 4 days i have noticed dirtier glass and a brown dusting on the sandbed which may point to the zeolites nearing the end of their life.

                    I have new corals coming in a week so keen to allow the tank to stabilize before and shortly after.

                    PE is good, colours good and growth is great.

                    I have bryopsis and other than being a pest, its much prettier than GHA or cyano.