No announcement yet.

Aubrey’s Acros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have just lost a pink acropora Spathulata frag. I think a combination of a cleaned and fully functioning skimmer, too fast increase in alkalinity and the temperature increase last week were to blame.

I have changed an actinic bulb to a blue plus for a slightly brighter look so i now have 4x blue plus, 2x coral plus, 1 x aquablue special and 1x purple plus. I am considering another purple to replace the aquablue.

Alkalinity consumption is confirmed and increasing so i have increased my doser amounts.

No other KZ products are being added as of yet although i am considering Zeofood plus once a week.

Alk - 7.5
    calcium - 450
    Magnesium - 1320
    Potassium - 400
    Nitrate - 2.5
    Phosphate - 7pbb (0.02)

I am happy with these numbers so i will continue with the current feeding.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Consumption continues to increase daily. I am now dosing 72ml of Fauna Marin carbonate a day, spread over 12 doses (every 2 hrs).

I have made a conscious effort to not put my hands in the tank and it looks like it is paying off. It may also be the additional blue plus bulb that is helping.

On advice of G.Alexander i have increased my Zeostart 3 dosing from 0.1ml a day to 0.2ml.

I usually perform a 15% WC weekly and 20% WC on the first weekend of the month so this weekend will be a 20% WC. I cleaned the sump and skimmer last week so this weekend i will vacuum the sand and clean the wavemakers.

Comment

The tank continues to progress well using just Zeobak, Biomate, Sponge Power, Zeostart and Coral Vitalizer.

Still running 50% of zeolite and 50% zeostart which is keeping nutrients undetectable, even with 3x a day feeding. Cyano is reducing, however i have bryopsis. I will deal with this later as it is not a huge problem at the moment.

Coral color is good, PE is good. Many are lightening with colour coming through. Pink millipora is now more pink than red and all LPS, especially Goniopora are ding very well.

I have 1 more week before my first zeolite change and will more than likely continue to run 50% zeolites (about 300ml) as the tank seems to be happy here with corals growing well.

I will be doing an ICP test before i change the zeolites to see what 6 weeks of running zeovit has done to trace elements.

Comment

Comment

alk 7.7
                  ca 415
                  mag 1290
                  K+ 390
                  no3 0.2
                  po4 0

cyano almost gone but bryopsis has taken hold. There is a treatment, in Fluconazole that will ombat this but i have corals arriving in the next week or two so am reluctant to do anything to unsettle the tank either just before or during the new corals settlement.

Coral growth is great and colours are improving.

Comment

First change of zeolites complete. I have now moved up to 75% of the recommended quantity of stones. I also removed a lot of the smaller gravel sized pieces as they were clogging the reactor holes.I have drilled out the reactor holes a little larger to help flow through the stones rather than the water by pass them.

Flow is 144lph (measured) and 425ml of zeolites. Zeostart 3 will remain the same for a 2 weeks (50% - 0.2ml/day) and i will make a judgement at this point whether to increase or keep it the same.

the first stones were run for 6 weeks and if i am honest, over the past 3 or 4 days i have noticed dirtier glass and a brown dusting on the sandbed which may point to the zeolites nearing the end of their life.

I have new corals coming in a week so keen to allow the tank to stabilize before and shortly after.

PE is good, colours good and growth is great.

I have bryopsis and other than being a pest, its much prettier than GHA or cyano.

Comment

A month later and the tank has been through a number of things. Bryopsis and associated treatment and effects, heatwave and a slight temp increase, coral fragging and introduction.

These combined I feel has had a negative impact on the tank.

First the Bryopsis treatment. Fluconazole is treatment to target bryopsis and over 3-4 weeks it slowly kills it of, preventing regeneration and metabolic processes. The down side of this is that the skimmer ideally will be turned off for the treatment period. It worked, however with the skimmer off for 3 weeks, I had a large increase in cyano which is slowly declining. I also think that with the skimmer off for 3 weeks, the use of the zeolite was increased which has ultimately lead to an increase in intrates. I do feed 3x a day with frozen and pellets and with 75% zeolites perhaps 6 weeks is all it will last.

Recent heatwaves also mean I had temps increasing from 26 degrees to 27.7. This has now settled back down.

I have also fragged a number of corals which has resulted in alkalinity consumption fluctuating and instability.

Most corals are ok, however, the pink millepora and Oregon tort are not doing well with retracted polyps and basal tissue necrosis respectively. I am hoping stability will help this.

Additional supplements have been dialled back to zeobak, biomate, sponge power, AAHC, Coral Vitalizer. Water changes are back on schedule with 10% a week and 20% once a month.

Flow has been changed to a longer alternating gyre which seems to help keep the tank clean.

Comment

Post water change test results

Alkalinity 7.7
                        calcium 420
                        magnesium 1290
                        potassium 370
                        nitrate 2.5
                        phosphate 0.02

zeolites have been replaced using 75% of the recommended volume and 10% of the old stones.
                        Zeostart remains at 75% for now.
                        the only other dosing will be zeobak daily for 10 days, biomate 2x a week, sponge power 3x a week, iodine 3x a week and coral vitalizer 3x a week.
                        potassium is slowly being raised up to 400 over the next few weeks.

i will attempt to not change anything at all and run an icp test at the end of the month to see what trace elements are used up.

I may be losing my Oregon tort to stn st the base, all I can do is attempt to stabilise Alk and hope fir the best.

red dragon, green echinata and microclados have been mounted on rock scape now.

Comment

If you already have some K+ supplement I would try to dose it to increase the level a little bit to ~ 380 mg If your test kit is not 100% accurate the real level might be lower than 370 mg already.

Do all your corals show good growth, if you have a hystrix or plating montipora are thy doing fine also as they are the first corals which do negative response if the K+ level is to low.

G.Alexander

Comment

Hi,

I have checked my K+ test kit against a reference solution and make the adjustment accordingly. I understand that still K+ tests can have a margin for error.

I am slowly increasing K+ over the next few weeks by dosing a little every morning.

Both branch and plating monitpora in my tank both look good with good colour, polyp extension and growth.

I have recently noticed a Millepora starting to recede from the base as well as one other acropora. Everything else looks ok.

Comment

Working...
                            X