Tip for setting white balance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip for setting white balance.

I have been struggling for along time trying to get an accurate white balance setting on my Nikon D70. I picked up a tip from RC and it worked like a champ first time out.

First off your camera needs to have a custom/preset w/b setting. Refer to your users guide and look up the section on custom w/b. For mine, I rotate the secondary command dial while holding down the w/b button until I get to the "preset" mode. Hold the button down until "pre" flashes in the lcd. Hold a coffee filter in front of the tank and focus on the center of the filter. Hold down the shutter release and make sure the "good" flashes in the lcd. and there it is. In summary, hold a coffee filter against the front of the tank and point the camera at it to set the custom w/b setting. I can't get to the original link right now, but I will take an exerpt for a better explanation if needed.

HTH
    Marshal
    265 gallon SPS tank. Bubble King 300 Internal, MRC CR-6 Calc Reactor. 3 400 watt 20k Helios. 90 gallon Frag tank plumbed into main display.

Here are a couple quotes.
    "The method is to point your camera at your tank, put an ordinary white coffee filter over your lens (yes, you heard me right) and set your manual white balance."

"This is a method for setting your custom white balance, also called manual white balance. If you don’t have this feature, you’re still SOL. When you set your custom white balance, you’re supposed to point the camera at something white and press the shutter button. The camera then adjusts white balance accordingly, and should leave it set until you change it to another white balance mode (depends on your camera). What you do with this trick is, get your camera ready to measure the white balance. But before you press the shutter, you put the coffee filter in front of the lens (while pointed at your tank). Hope this explains it better."
    265 gallon SPS tank. Bubble King 300 Internal, MRC CR-6 Calc Reactor. 3 400 watt 20k Helios. 90 gallon Frag tank plumbed into main display.

Comment

Thanks... I'll try it. Using a piece of starboard in the tank most times my white balance wont even set. I'm guessing because of the glitter lines from the MH.

SteveU
      “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
      ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

I put a piece of 1 1/2" pvc in the tank near the front glass & set my white balance this way. Easy & works well. Just make sure the viewfinder is seeing nothing but the white of the pvc.

Comment

Another way is to use every setting possible and stick with the one that looks best
          400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

Personally i dont adjust white balance at all onboard with my D70s. I shoot everything with an auto white balance, but i shoot in RAW format.

The advantage of shooting in RAW is that it is lossless, and you get some incredible post processing tools to work with, including manually adjusting your white balance on the fly.

You can spend a lot of time trying to adjust the on board white balance and in the long run, it is MUCH easier to do it after the fact.

Comment

Working...
            X