Someone help with taking pics...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone help with taking pics...

Hey Guys,

can anyone give me some pointers to helping me take better pics? I mean i can get the color close, but the depth and clearness of the photo is lacking IMO.

espically when i try to photograph a larger coral the clearness of the pic is not good. Its fine for the spot i am focusing on, but the rest of the coral is all blurry.

first let me start off with the camera i am using, its my dad's Nikon D100 i am using a macro lens he has, its an AF MICRO NIKKOR 60mm 1:2.8 D

I am shooting pictures in the "P" mode on the dial thing. I can shoot in M,A,S, or P....

here are some stats for the pics that i just took,

Metering: Matrix
    Shutter: 1/60
    Aperture: F4
    Exposure Mode: program
    EXP. +/-: 0.0
    Focal Length: 60mm

so any help i can get would be great.

thanks

Nick
    275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Do you have a tripod? If so, it will make things a lot easier. What you want to do is find the setting for "aperature priority". Sorry I don't use Nikon, so I don't know what they call it on the setting wheel. By doing this (maybe the "P" setting) you can set the aperature (F-stop) to whatever you want and the camera will set the corresponding shutter speed to produce a properly exposed image. What you are wanting is to increase the depth of field so more is in focus besides the plane you are focusing on. Higher f stop numbers will do this. Your last pic was F4, you want to shoot around F11, F16, F22 or so. In doing that, the shutter speed will be very long, thus a tripod is needed.

Or, put it in manual (M) and try this. Set the F stop to F 16, then set the shutter speed to 1/4 of a second. that is the exact same exposure that you just took, but with different settings for depth of field (tripod needed). Or F22 and Shutter of 1/2 a second. HTH

Comment

Madison thanks.

Yes i do have a tripod for the camera, just have to find it. haha

I will pull it out and start doing what you say.

Let me see what i can come out with. I am really impressed with the colors zeo is giving me, just need to find a way to show you guys haha.

Thanks for the help Madison.

P.S. just incase you ever need to know the "aperature priority" is "A" on the Nikon... i think "P" in automatic....
      275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

Working...
      X
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎