Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which digital underwater camera should I get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which digital underwater camera should I get?

What camera do you guys recommend I should get? I bought a Sony a while back and planned to get the underwater housing. Well, one month later they stopped making the housing and now it's virtually impossible to buy it unless you are willing to spend $250 on a used housing on e-bay. I figured I might as well buy a new camera (along with the housing this time). Which one do you recommend?
    Fish eat poop....tastes just like chicken.

I dunno which "new" one. I got an oly c series camera with the housing (you gotta get it from oly japan, they don't market 'em in the US) and basically any oly c series camera will work. A bit clunky, but does the trick.
    10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
    BK400ext
    RD12 return, 2 RD12 closed loop, wavebox with extension
    MRC kalkmixer
    IKS

Comment

I use Canon whenever I can but I have been extremely pleased with my new Nikon.

Here's a link to the housing for the canon A95. It's a good camera, 5mp, with a close focus/macro distance of 2"
      http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...er%2520housing

Here's a link to a page with several nikon housings for sale. They are more expensive. Generally the Nikons let you get a little closer (maybe 1") than the canons.
      http://www.pricegrabber.com/search.p...r/topcat_id=11

What I don't like about the canons (most canons) is the battery. The one I linked first takes 4 double A's or 4 of the rechargeable double A's. I don't like those as much as the lithium batteries that Nikon uses. some canon cameras do have similar batteries but i'm not sure about the underwater housing's for those body's.

Comment

Chuck, do you have a link to the place where you got yours?

Madison, I assume I'd still have to get an external strobe when I use the camera for diving? Do they make one for the Canon you suggested?

Comment

if you want to get into strobes then you are probably looking at different cameras.

olympus housings are very common here. which cam was it chuck

Comment

I think I have a c4000 and a PT10 housing. It's old. You can't even find the stuff on the website anymore. I guess they are bringing the newer housings over now for like the c5050 and stuff. I can't even remember where I got the housing. I got it a long time ago...
            10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
            BK400ext
            RD12 return, 2 RD12 closed loop, wavebox with extension
            MRC kalkmixer
            IKS

Comment

any for fuji finepix ??????
              Nick
              Nick
              180G SPS Mainly
              10 Bulb T5 Starfire
              Calcium Reactor
              3 Tunze 6105's
              Profilux Controller
              ATB Return w/ wavysea
              ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

try www.leisurepro.com they have all kinds of cool stuff for underwater cameras

Comment

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...x=6&Submit.y=5

I'd go with Ikelite housings for quality. The camera depends on your photography style. Nikon is reputable for Macro shots. Canon and Olympus are also good. A digital SLR is top of the line but the whole set up could be around $3,000.00+ once you hook up the strobes and stuff.

I just have an old Nikon Coolpix 4300 and an Ikelite housing. Cost me $850.00 total.
                  My 180 Gallon SPS pictures-copy/paste

http://photobucket.com/albums/b373/t0mmy108/Reef%20Aquarium%20Pictures/

Comment

i jus bought my fuji finepix 6 MP 10x optical zoom but i would love a underwater camera to have also whats a good MACRO camera w/ housing
                    Nick
                    Nick
                    180G SPS Mainly
                    10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                    Calcium Reactor
                    3 Tunze 6105's
                    Profilux Controller
                    ATB Return w/ wavysea
                    ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Originally posted by moonpod
                      I think I have a c4000 and a PT10 housing. It's old. You can't even find the stuff on the website anymore. I guess they are bringing the newer housings over now for like the c5050 and stuff. I can't even remember where I got the housing. I got it a long time ago...
                      I also have Olympus C4000. I had idea to buy underwater housing PT10 for my camera, but it is not possible to buy PT10 anymore, so I have to buy new camera and housing.

Comment

This is just a follow up to the original thread.... I ended up getting a Canon G6 with the Ikelite housing and the Ikelite Strobe. The eTTL conversion is not available, yet, but I will upgrade as soon as it comes out. The built in flash is actually good enough for most pictures unless you get into wide angle... Let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

Well i think we need some sample pics Gary, haha.

Nick
                          275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

Working...
                          X