Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What ISO are you using for your pictures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What ISO are you using for your pictures?

Just curious, I am using film and used 400 ISO film. Are you guys using lower or higher ISO?
    You're Norma Desmond you used to be big.

I am big it's the pictures that got small.

From the classic movie "Sunset Boulevard"

I dont use film.. but for the digi it says 400. on my reg cam, i used to use 400 too. I think the higher the number, the faster the object is running. Madison would know.

Comment

400 is a safe ISO. Any higher and the pics might start to look "grainy". Any lower and they might be under exposed and/or show motion blur (if you are not using a tripod.

ISO is another way of cotrolling how much light is needed for a correct exposure. The higher the number the less light is needed. But there is always a trade off. Also the higher the ISO number the more grainy/pixilated the image is. 400 is a pretty good one for both digi and film.

Comment

Thanks. It just seems like my pics are a out of focus compared to the really good pics that some people are able to shoot. I am using film instead of digital (which by the way the colors are my film shots are great) and I did a test last weekend where I shot every coral at 30, 60, and 90 shutter speed. My camera (rebel 2000) has a setting where you can pic a shutter speed and the camera automatically pics the aperature to go with it. I got the shots back and the pics are still a little blurry.
        I was hoping to decrease the shutter speed to get better depth of field but it just didn't seem to work that way. I just see how some of the shots people take can get a whole coral in focus. It always seems when I shoot, the nearest part of the coral is in focus yet the back is blurry or just the opposite. How do you get large sections into focus? Should I be increasing my shutter speed, but then I thought when you increase shutter speed you get less depth of field. Help, any tips are welcome.

Comment

I'm going to right up a tutorial for tank photography very soon and post it in this forum so be sure to check it out. For your question, 1/30 shutter speed is the slowest I would go handheld. Even at that speed you will see motion blur in your macro shots/closeups. The trick to getting the whole corals in focus is depth of field. You are thinking correctly. You will need a tripod to do it successfully though. I think you can get a decent tripod for $20-$30 and obviously the more you spend, the better it is. To get the whole coral in focus you will need a really long shutter speed (ie 1-2 seconds) Instead of using the "shutter speed priority" use the "aperature priority". This way you can set the F-Stop/aperature at F:22 (or largest number you have on your lens). This will give you the most depth of field possible and set the shutter speed for it's equivalent to make a normally exposed image. Remember, you will have to use a tripod. But, play around and shoot some at F:16, F:11 etc. Not only does this number affect depth of field but the lens your using, and also the distance of the subject to the focal plane are also important factors. Also note, that using a long or slow shutter speed will result in blurry lps corals, anemones, fish swimming etc. So if this particular corals has polyps swaying about, they won't be in focus with these increased shutter speeds. That is another reason why I suggested to use more than one F stop.

Comment

Let me add one more thing. If you can get a shutter release for that camera, it might be a good idea. I can't remember the price. If not, don't worry. Instead, use the "timer" function. Set it to fire about 2 seconds after you press the button. This will elimate any vibration from our hands pressing on the camera. Also, it's a good idea to not have the lens resting on the aquarium wall. the vibration from the all the pumps, and water movement is enough to make a perfectly set up picture look out of focus. Try to have the lens as close to the glass as possible though.

Comment

Good, very good. Thank you QuinLA, I will try using the aperature setting instead of the shutter speed setting and let the camera adjust the shutter speed automatically. I already have a tripod so that box is checked. What I will do to decrease movement in my coral polyps is to shut off all the pumps in my tank so the water is still. I will reshoot my corals and check out the difference sometime this week. If you have anymore suggestions keep them coming.

Comment

Waiting for your tutorial Madison. I personally need all the help I can get when taking pics of the precious reef. Can never get those kinda shots that can even make a normal reef look amazing! hehehe
                Farish

Setup: 250G System, ATI Powermodul 10x80w T5s, 4x6100 Tunze Streams & 7095 MultiController, Deltec PF1000 CR, Deltec AP902 Skimmer, IKS, Zeovit, Artica 1Hp Chiller

Comment

i'll try and get something started tonight. i've been pretty sick the past few days and haven't been able to work on it.

Comment

Hope you are feeling better.. Looking foreword the the tutorial aswell...

Comment

jeff I made a camera box to shoot down on corals for you but I don't like it. I spilled a little glue on the viewing pane. So, i'll hopefully make another one next week for you.

Comment

well this thread helped me understand a whole lot more
                        Nick
                        Nick
                        180G SPS Mainly
                        10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                        Calcium Reactor
                        3 Tunze 6105's
                        Profilux Controller
                        ATB Return w/ wavysea
                        ATB M External Skimmer

Comment