Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JBJ 12G Nano Using ZeoLive

Greetings All !

This is the 12G JBJ Nano tank that I'm using ZeoLife on ... dosing 0.5 ml / day ... so far, so good. My NH3/NH4, NO2 and NO3 levels stabilized out faster than expected. There's also a significantly larger amount of "mulm" being spit out by the LR than I expected. It has been up and running since 2/18/05. No other Zeo Products being used.

I'm still trying to figure out what "fluidized filter media" means, exactly ...
    Last edited by mesocosm; 03-29-2005, 09:11 PM.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
    Hunter S. Thompson

whats zeolive?

Comment

Greetings All !

Oooops ... ZeoLife ... sorry about that ...

ZeoLife is a non-ZEOvit supplement ...

ZeoLife is a liquid filter medium. We created it to boost specific metabolic processes occurring in an aquarium. It will remove yellowing compounds and duff. If used continuously it will also remove small amounts of nitrate and phosphate. It can be used in conjunction with Zeovit – it is especially helpful during the start-up phase of the system. Dose directly into the tank. If possible, turn off skimmer for a period of 1 hour after dosing. 1000 ml will effectively treat 5000 liters. This dosage can be doubled if you experience acute problems in your tank. Shake well before use. We recommend the use of this supplement after each water change. Dosing amount if used continuously: 3 ml/25 gallons daily.

Extracted from:
      http://www.captiveoceans.com/product...pplements.html

HTH.
      Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Awesome, I've got an OG 12g nano I'm setting up now, I was going to do ZEOvit but found that for now it's pretty complicated with no skimmer.

I think you sold me on the ZEOlife though I'm going to get myself a bottle!

Comment

I either need to buy a 250w pendant to hang over mine for the time being, or figure out a mod to give myself more light.

I'd hate to throw 150 bucks out there when I could just save up and buy a 250w ROIII and use it for the mean time..

How do you like your DX?

Have you modded anything? Flow?

Comment

Greetings All !

How do you like your DX?
            Have you modded anything? Flow?
            The DX's lighting and fans are a significant improvement over the previous version ... but I generally hate these kinds of tanks. I'm always very suspicious of saltwater products presented as "complete" systems or solutions ... look honey, it's a complete mini-reef system AND a dessert topping ... drives me nuts.

For a first-time saltwater hobbyist on a limited budget, or for small physical space limitations, or for someone who "inherits" one or just has one lying around, I can see it ... why not? ...it's not a bad little unit for what it is ... but I find the inherent design compromises to be irritatingly limiting: no protein skimmer, only average flow without modification, limited intake grid, no opportunity to insert additional components without shredding the hood, and too much lost space with a ridiculous "filter" compartment arrangement.

I resisted the urge to modify anything on it because I wanted customers to see what they could do with it without having to wander into the land of DIY. I did orient the return fan nozzle vertically (... perpendicular to the surface of the water ...) in order to eliminate the film that tends to form on the surface without agitation.

JMO ... HTH.
            Last edited by mesocosm; 04-09-2006, 08:51 AM. Reason: learning to spell ...
            Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Nice Gary!!! You are always ahead of the game!

Comment

Ah. Didn't know you were a store owner

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the the cubes, but I got when I first started the hobby, I've modded the flow to 300gph and I'm looking at MH for the hood.

Keep us updated on the developments!

Comment

Greetings All !

Originally posted by SeanCallan
                  Ah. Didn't know you were a store owner ... Keep us updated on the developments!
                  Not an owner, although my parents keep suggesting that I should become one. No thanks. Now a "live food culturalist" ... well ... stay tuned sports fans.

Just an update ... I stopped using ZeoLife after about 2 months. After the first month, there was no measureable correlation between the addition of the product and the water chemistry measurements that I could discern ... although it did appear to accelerate the cycling process initially.

Originally posted by mesocosm
                  I'm still trying to figure out what "fluidized filter media" means, exactly ...
                  Not any more. I couldn't find anything in the research literature which correlated to "fluidized filter media" and, "... boost specific metabolic processes occurring in an aquarium. It will remove yellowing compounds and duff. If used continuously it will also remove small amounts of nitrate and phosphate. It can be used in conjunction with Zeovit – it is especially helpful during the start-up phase of the system."

It's perhaps useful to note that there was one term which correlated reasonably well with the manufacturer's description, and which repeatedly kept popping into my head as I was looking into this stuff ... flocculant.

Flocculant: A chemical substance that promotes the aggregation or coagulation of suspended particles in the water; substance added to solutions to produce suspended particles; A chemical that can be added to the water to combine or coagulate small dirt particles into larger ones. Floccuclants are typically used with sand filters, which can allow some smaller particles of dirt to escape; A flocculant is a chemical which causes the particles in a colloidal dispersal to clump together and form 'flocs'.

(Source)

BTW ... here's the pic that seems to have become disconnected from the first post ...

JMO
                  Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by mesocosm
                    There's also a significantly larger amount of "mulm" being spit out by the LR than I expected.
                    Hey Gary, just stumbled across this thread. You mention that your LR was spitting out "mulm". In my tank, my rock too is spitting "mulm" - looks almost exactly like the mulm that would be released when I pumped my zeo reactor. I am curious if you know what this is, and what causes it? Every 2-3 weeks, I pull the rocks from the sump and scrub the mulm off. I also pull the larger rocks where frags are mounted and scrub those as well. I have been thinking about adding some snails to try and remove this stuff, but just haven't gotten around it yet.
                    --Matt

Comment

Working...
                    X