Latin name: Acropora humilis
    Discovered from / Year: Dana 1864
    Growth: compact, digitiform, slow grower
    Degree of difficulty: medium for advanced reefers
    Lighting: strong (bulb)
    Current: strong
    Reproduction: fragmenting

Reference: http://data.aims.gov.au/coralpages/h...20pages/35.htm

Members please post your experiences & pictures in this thread to this species.
    Last edited by G.Alexander; 07-07-2009, 03:25 AM.

I have noticed that if i place my humilis under 10k AB's, it will turn more purple like a Barney purple. But, if I put it under 14k AC's, it will turn more bluish/purple. I have also found that direct 10k light is not the best combination for mine. Its better if its sits in between bulbs. Thats just my experience. Strong flow is definitely the key to make this coral grow faster. Mine sits in VERY strong flow.

Comment

Here is mine.. All I have is a top down picture currently. It was a total brownout about 4-5 weeks ago.. It has started to color up nicely..

Peace, Jeff

Comment

AN other type of Acropora humilis
        <'))))< Pascal >(((('>

Comment

porites, that is gorgeous
          Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Not sure yet.....Build Thread to come!

Comment

I got a large piece of this, I want to break some off and propogate.
            A little unorthodox, but what I thought may work is to cut of branches, split down the middle, and glue cut side down to new rock. This IMO would give the most surface area from where it could encrust over the surrounding rock, and start sending out new branches.
            Any thoughts?

Comment

Alastair, interesting technique of proprogation in A.humilis. I've never tried that & would like your feedback on the results, thnx. Bob
              "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

I dotn see what that wouldnt work. Give it a shot!

Comment

Sweet Porites, Any idea where it came from (Bali,fiji,etc.)? Wild or Aquacultured? Looks like Jeff may have something similar .
                  Later,
                  Chad

Comment

Yea mine was very very dark brownish 4-5 weeks ago.. It is coloring nicely.... I gave a small spur2 does for the first time last night... Lets see what colors I get now.. This is the first dose so it might have been to small.. I am following Bobs recomendations so I am sure eveything will be great.. I thought I noticed a color change in 2 pcs last night about 9 hrs after dosing.. Can't wait for the lights to come on today...

Comment

Originally posted by Chad W
                      Any idea where it came from (Bali,fiji,etc.)?
                      Lombok
                      Aquacultured?
                      yes, imported by the Europe's importer : Amblard Oversis Trading
                      Last edited by porites; 03-05-2005, 11:49 AM.
                      <'))))< Pascal >(((('>

Comment

Bachir
                        Bachir
                        2000 - gallon saltwater

Comment

Lovely colonies indeed, but the two posted by invincible actually look like A. gemmifera, and not A. humilis, same Acro group, but different species.
                          Alessandro

Comment

Originally posted by reefaddict
                            Lovely colonies indeed, but the two posted by invincible actually look like A. gemmifera, and not A. humilis, same Acro group, but different species.
                            They are definitely humilis. If you look at Coral Search you could see the difference. The Coralites on gemmifera's are a little more scaly and branch's are also thicker. Mine are not like this

http://whelk.aims.gov.au/coralsearch...20pages/35.htm

Comment

Originally posted by invincible569
                              They are definitely humilis. If you look at Coral Search you could see the difference. The Coralites on gemmifera's are a little more scaly and branch's are also thicker. Mine are not like this
                              http://whelk.aims.gov.au/coralsearch...20pages/35.htm
                              I do believe you! You certainly can look closer at your acros than I do, but in the first picture you posted the axial corallites look quite small to me, like in gemmifera. But I just can't see the radial ones.

Anyway, what species is this?

I guess it's another humilis, right?
                              Alessandro

Comment

Working...
                              X