What do you guys think this is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys think this is?

Its sold as monstastrea, but I am quite certain that is an improper ID.

It still looks like an Acan Enchinata to me. Has the mouth size changed since this pic?

Comment

Def not an echinata the main coralite is about 1.5 - 1.75" across. I think its some type of scoly.

Comment

I dont know i agree on the acan e.
        Nick
        180G SPS Mainly
        10 Bulb T5 Starfire
        Calcium Reactor
        3 Tunze 6105's
        Profilux Controller
        ATB Return w/ wavysea
        ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Yeah, I will try to get a shot of an a echinata next to it so you guys can see =), once you do you can def tell.

Any ideas Nick?

Comment

check out tjere subechinatas
            http://www.atlantisaquarium.net/LPSofties2.html
            Nick
            180G SPS Mainly
            10 Bulb T5 Starfire
            Calcium Reactor
            3 Tunze 6105's
            Profilux Controller
            ATB Return w/ wavysea
            ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Are there any dead coralites on the skeleton that you can show us a pic of? Be helpful to have a clear shot of one to compare skeletons in the available ref material. The subechinata doesn't normally have separated corallites, and I don't see any dead skeleton between them to suggest they may have once been there. As mane3215 suggested, the corallites are much too large to be a subechinata, which doesn't have corallites over 15mm.

The closest Monastrea that it resembles is M. multipunctata, which it can't be. M. multipunctata corallites are only 5-9mm. It isn't even close to any of the other Monastrea growth forms.
              Marc
              Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish and he'll sit in the boat and drink beer all day.

Comment

[QUOTE=mane3215]Def not an echinata QUOTE]

is too!

Comment

I agree with Ed thats a echinata
                  Nick
                  180G SPS Mainly
                  10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                  Calcium Reactor
                  3 Tunze 6105's
                  Profilux Controller
                  ATB Return w/ wavysea
                  ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

The corallites are too large to be an A. echinata. All reference materials clearly state that the corallites are 10-15mm, max. When comparing the corallites against the known size reference, the thumb, you can see that the corallites are too large. In addition, the A. echinata septa have very large teeth. This is a link to a typical A. echinata, and you can see how prominent the septa teeth are.
                    http://www.centrescientifique.mc/ima...anthastrea.jpg
                    The photos above do not display the septa tooth prominence, and the corallites are over 15mm.

What physical properties are you using to ID this as an A. echinata?
                    Marc
                    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish and he'll sit in the boat and drink beer all day.

Comment

Gettem Marc =).

I will try to get a photo of the coralites today with a measuring stick in front of them. They are pretty large. I am not sure if there is any skeletal coralites visible, but if there is I will snag some shots.

Comment

You guys have normal mouths right? Havent you ever met a person who has a BIG mouth? It happens, but we are still humans.

Comment

Scolymia australis

Comment

That is perfectly true...but regardless of the mouth size...it still looks like a mouth. Now if I have an ear growing under my nose, I'm not going to call it a mouth just because it is under my nose.

There are numerous identifying factors for A. echinata, corallite size is just one of them. Other than the fact that this is an LPS coral, none of the other identifying factors of A. echinata are clearly present. The maximum corallite size for A. echinata is 10-15mm...an unusually large corallite would be in the 15mm range. I would agree that there could be an odd corallite here & there over 15mm, but not "considerably" over 15mm. From the pictures, and taking into account the thumb for size representation, at least three of the corallites are in the 25mm+ range. In the second picture the corallites at 11 o'clock, 3 o'clock and 6 o'clock are all in the 25mm+ range.

As for Madison's identification as Scolymia australis. I would agree that it has more characteristics of S. australis than it does A. echinata.
                            Last edited by Marc Daniels; 11-27-2005, 04:21 PM.
                            Marc

Comment

Mane-

Some pics of dead corallites would be helpful, even partial corallite skeletons. You don't have to measure the coral, just measure acros your left thumb as follows...we can figure the corallite size by that measurement.
                              Marc

Comment

Working...
                              X