Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Again- any ideas

Last week lost a finger off the coral.
    - half the cut finger is in the Tonka toy tank and is ok.
    - in the weekend dipped the coral in iodine 15 minutes as the base finger was gone and pasted the fresh cut.
    it was also dipped in coral RX for 15 minutes rinse for 15m and returned back to the tank.

last night dose coral snow plus 5ml
    xtra 5ml
    amino 5ml

Not blaming the dosing
    but just got home and it starting in a couple of there spots- pic just taken.

other corals no issues no a few others were dipped as above in series.

Any ideas ??

Attached Files

Pic 2
    Attached Files

Comment

Difficult to say Nick, some partial TN can happen even if a system runs really good. The skeleton of the coral is white so you can rule out boring algae, I can also not see any coral to close which had a impact. Water movement can also be a reason, are your pumps are all clear or has the water movement slowly become less ? I would also check the potassium level and cross check the KH with a different test kit.

G.Alexander

Comment

Thanks G.Alexander

i if anything flow might/ should me more- I did clean the vortex pumps.

the first finger started in the middle- thought it might be a bug or something.
        dipping a few other corals was prevention - seeing if any (or I could see anything)

I’ll cross check things.

Comment

G.Alexander

I remember somewhere I think you might if mentioned (sticky) dosing xtra double strength.
          -
          ​​​​​​— Would this be worth giving ago ??

I did fine potassium was 370 ppm
          and calcium was 380.
          bumped up.
          moved vortex out wide,

skin stripping is slow, I expected it to be gone almost. Which seems differentish from past coral lists.

Regards
          NickB

Comment

Hello Nick, if corals tissue is light the XTra dosage can be increased for some time but it should not darken the corals tissue to much which does happen if you “overdose”. The higher dosage does not cause any issues beside darkening corals tissue if “overdosed”.

G.Alexander

Comment

Hi ya all.

well saved 70% of the coral above.

- still losing a couple more.

-This morning, I am pretty sure I have bite marks on another coral.

- I can not see anything when inspecting, even after a dip.

So I’m at a point where I don’t know what to do as everything seems to be in line chemical.

- Question is “Flatworm Exit” is it worth treating the tank. If so, is it required to turn if the zeo reactor as it might absorb chemical.
              I know to remove the carbon.

Triton have a TRITON STN-X SLOW TISSUE NECROSIS INHIBITOR
              And RTN-x slow

Has anyone used either of the products

Or any other ideas would be appreciated

Regards
              Nick B

Comment

Hello Nick, a coral which is infected with flatworms does usually first start to loose its coloration more and more and the tissue color does becomes lighter, difficult to describe but the green coral in the picture does not look like. Those corals are often loose their slime coat additional so if you took such a coral out of water for 30 seconds the tissue does looks “dry” instead of “slimy”. If you had flatworms on the other corals they should for sure come off while dipping so this is the reason why I think there are any kind of other issues or parasite.

I can not say anything to the triton product as I never used it but FlatwormStop would IMO not be the right product in this case but it will also not hurt as it does “strengthen” the corals additional.

Can you upload a picture of the bite mark of the other coral ?

G.Alexander

Comment

Hi ya G.Alexander

Heres a couple pics.

latest one fragged it the yellow/green might loose it.
                  Attached Files

Comment

The first pic has a bite mark but it’s hard to see

The purple is front left of the next pic is new marks, (white skin) and the purple with yellow tips has these white skin the growth. It’s one of the oldest sps in the tank. But the white bites are new

Comment

Originally posted by G.Alexander View Post
                      Hello Nick, a coral which is infected with flatworms does usually first start to loose its coloration more and more and the tissue color does becomes lighter, difficult to describe but the green coral in the picture does not look like. Those corals are often loose their slime coat additional so if you took such a coral out of water for 30 seconds the tissue does looks “dry” instead of “slimy”. If you had flatworms on the other corals they should for sure come off while dipping so this is the reason why I think there are any kind of other issues or parasite.

I can not say anything to the triton product as I never used it but FlatwormStop would IMO not be the right product in this case but it will also not hurt as it does “strengthen” the corals additional.

Can you upload a picture of the bite mark of the other coral ?

G.Alexander
                      Hey, I have up loaded some pics
                      I have been dosing flatworm stop twice a week.

kh 7.7
                      ca 430
                      mg 1270
                      k 400

What else could be causing the issues Or look into.

the only other item in my sump are two titanium heaters and in the tank is the prob ??

water changed in the weekend 70 l
                      and zeovite stone also.

Comment

Pictures are not very clear Nick but might it be a crab ? They are hiding while the day and come out while the night. I have used a red light to observe them in the night as they seem not to notice it.

G.Alexander

Comment

Cheer, I’ll check for then crabbies,
                          pic of the blueish and yellow tips was dipped iodine and coral rx and nothings came off like crabs or fw

But I think your right when u said something other like.

This morning when in left for Wk at 5am, I did notice mother coral tip issues.

Thinking on the way to work that my Kh dose have been moved for 24 dose to 20 per day- and the drop in dosing I’d at 10pm to 1 pm like.
                          - maybe the drop is causing the issue.

I am going to grab some new test kits.
                          Kh, ca are new and I’m using AF mag test kit.
                          -There have been some comments on the new salifert Ca kit and I do have one Goni that hasn’t come out for a week, So maybe the AF mag kits reading lower.

As for flow, it does sort of look like that, but I did use to run the vortex pumps a lot highter.
                          Lao has a Tunze turbelle stream 3 but it just way to big

Attached Files

Comment

The crabs do usually hide in the rocks coming out at the night so you will not get them with a dip. The TN from the tips has IMO nothing to do with a crab while KH swings are a possibility, it is also common when the K+ level is increased to quick. If you add a KH supplement I would recommend to add it in the sump, the last camber which does hold your return pump might be the best place.

G.Alexander

Comment

Working...
                            X