• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sps trouble

Hi ya all,

Mmm I’m have had a few issues with sps,

I have lost a very big sps I have had for years,
    which was sitting at the back of the tank.

At the time line earlier I move both vortex pumps to the back wall to try a different flow pattern.
    and then the coral started “peel” from tips bend the base within a few days.

also I have started using tropic marine reef salt

every thing seem to be fine, check potassium with a new test kit and was at 430

now a couple week later I have lost another coral, this was tips and gone within a day

another one on Monday and another one was peeling this morning almost gone when I got home.

I have done a couple of water changes 2x70 liter

Brought another potassium test kit 420pm
    ca 460
    kh 8.7
    mg1340
    pho I have found a little high @ 0.1
    no3 2ppm

all there corals are on the same area,
    inhave a very large stylo next to all this,
    and other sps under-ish there corals and the other side of the tank is not effected at all.

i was wondering if “maybe” the might be getting stung from a large bubble coral with is under-ish and or a very large candy caine

also have a temperature probe behind in the area.

just a bit lost atm.

regards
    Nick B

Also shorted my photo period from 9am to 9pm
    Not all light are on all at once,
    to 12 pm to 9pm when the first coral a few weeks ago issues.
    Also turn the night light off,

add pic of area and corals effected.

Comment

The basic water parameters seem to be a bit high. What kind of test tools are used for salinity, whether the new brine has been tested, and whether it is the same as the old water. Please also cross-test individual elements on the new brine in the correct salinity to confirm that the test package is correct.

Activated carbon, what brand of activated carbon do you use, and how do you use it

Comment

Those LPS corals can get very long tentacles especially at the night harming other corals so it is a possibility. Please also cross check your salinity with a different, accurate instrument to make sure yours is working well as the main water parameters are all a little bit to high.

From my experience I can tell you that the bigger a coral is growing the more sensitive it is to changes like placing it to another place or moving it to another system. In your case the change of the flow could have something to do with it. Please also check if the water flow now goes directly from the LPS corals to the affected coral (tentacles / nettle toxins).

G.Alexander

Comment

Originally posted by jacky View Post
          The basic water parameters seem to be a bit high. What kind of test tools are used for salinity, whether the new brine has been tested, and whether it is the same as the old water. Please also cross-test individual elements on the new brine in the correct salinity to confirm that the test package is correct.

Activated carbon, what brand of activated carbon do you use, and how do you use it

Hi ya, Jacky

Yes, when the first coral was going, I checked the salinity, and the potassium (new test kit)
          Found that the salinity had jumped up to 36ppt and made adjustment
          Since then it have been good

Have been using the tropic marine reef salt and also triton MG, CA and dialing it in,
          Is why why mt params are a little high,

While using TM salt - I haven't dosed any potassium,
          I do not know if this is normal,
          And am a little concerned

and one of the reasons for purchasing another potassium test kit,
          But both read the same.

Using the REDSEA salinity refractor
          gets zero and tested 4-5 time before use/matched

Carbon- KZ 500ml

Comment

Originally posted by G.Alexander View Post
            Those LPS corals can get very long tentacles especially at the night harming other corals so it is a possibility. Please also cross check your salinity with a different, accurate instrument to make sure yours is working well as the main water parameters are all a little bit to high.

From my experience I can tell you that the bigger a coral is growing the more sensitive it is to changes like placing it to another place or moving it to another system. In your case the change of the flow could have something to do with it. Please also check if the water flow now goes directly from the LPS corals to the affected coral (tentacles / nettle toxins).

G.Alexander
            Hi ya,

I know that the bubble coral tentacles have been reaching up and sting the mushrooms above it-
            I Think whats happened is when lights go off the tentacle retracts, breaks off and then whats still attached to the mushroom gets released at night and get pushed around the tank.
            Im pretty sure this is whats happened to the most resent corals

The first one, i think is a combination of of everything changes flow, toxins, salinity, and sting.

I have been meaning to trade/sell this coral- 10 year with me, one big mouth 8 inch's,
            But we have been in lockdown with delta out break here,
            I have the LF shop with a Pink Bubble Tip Anemone (entacmaea quadricolor) i could trade. and be a nice bit of color in that spot.

But unsure if the have stinging sweeping tentacles, like the Bubble Coral has.

Regards
            NickB

Comment

Hi ya all,

Yesturday I did another water change,
              100 liter, deep sand bed clean.
              And this morning I have checked all prams, and salinity.
              Ca has seem to go up 480
              Mg hasn’t changed
              Kh has come to 8dk

potassium tested with two new salifert kits @ 430ppm - which is concerning.
              also tested a fish holding tank which I don’t dose any sups into and that came back @ 430 ppm also.

Just picked up a bucket redsea salt and I mix up 20 litres and see where potassium sits.

is there any corolation between Ca high and K

maybe I have to faulty test kits ?

Comment

Even the quadricolor can start to move around in the tank a friend of mine had this issue. The anemone was shredder by a pump causing massive damage to the corals but usually they do not tend to move around as much as other corals is it is always a risk.

G.Alexander

Comment

Originally posted by G.Alexander View Post
                  Even the quadricolor can start to move around in the tank a friend of mine had this issue. The anemone was shredder by a pump causing massive damage to the corals but usually they do not tend to move around as much as other corals is it is always a risk.

G.Alexander
                  Hey, I have heard a few stories of this happening too. finding there happy place.
                  Not something I want to risk atm

Comment

Working...
                  X