Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellow in sps

Hi,

I was wondering what could I dose or do to increase the yellow in my sps. I've purchased a yellow anacropora a little while ago, it was bright yellow when I got it now it's very pale but growing.

Thank you.
    Attached Files

I had the same coral in my system also and it exactly looked like the one in the second picture. I do not think you will be able to keep it as yellow as in the first picture however the coral looks really healthy. Keeping yellow of a coral is really difficult and it does need a very low nutrient concentration and a lot of light from my experience.

It is a Anacropora forbesi, you can find some more information and pictures from the natural environment over here:

http://www.coralsoftheworld.org/spec...opora-forbesi/

Here is a old picture of the one I had:

https://forum.zeovit.com/forum/lives...ropora-forbesi

G.Alexander

Comment

Thank you for the info, I will try to bring him up a bit, maybe he does need more light.

Comment

Yellow color, a white crow of Acropora keeping I never had luck in maintaining yellow color on Acropora for long time. They always slowly turned green-ish.
        While I searched for solution I found pictures of yellow Acros in the old threads around the internet. In most threads where I found reefers who had a success with keeping yellow SPS, they kept them under metal halides, 10k bulbs.
        โ€œEvery day is a journey, and the journey itself is home.โ€
        - Matsuo Munefusa

Comment

What Michal said is my experience also. Yellow corals are not very common and I had the best success with them directly under 10k halides (close to the water surface), undetectable nutrients, low element dosage and strong skimming. If dosed a little bit to much of iron or iodine for example the tissue become a green shine the next day.

The sarmentosa was one of the most beautiful corals I had in yellow:

https://forum.zeovit.com/forum/lives...ora-sarmentosa

G.Alexander

Comment

That is a beautiful acropora, I will try to get my hand on one of those.

Thanks for the help, I will try to move it see if that makes a difference.

Comment

Never had yellow corals. About a month - a month and a half ago I received 3 at once
              Acropora of Carolineana
              Acropora Pikachu
              Acropora Wolverine

The first two are still yellow, but a greenish tint has begun to appear.
              The third is still yellow.

From whom I got the corals do not work with ULNS, use a high PAR and regularly send water for the ICP test.
              They argue that it is the correct balance of microelements that is important for color retention.
              I also sent my water to the ICP test in Fauna Marine, I will see how things are with me with trace elements, since I began to dose them only 2 months ago, before that relying only on water changes.

Comment

Let us know how your ICP test looks like, I've also just purchased one.

Comment

Hello Nick, would love to see a picture of these corals ๐Ÿ‘

G.Alexander

Comment

Originally posted by G.Alexander View Post
                    Hello Nick, would love to see a picture of these corals ๐Ÿ‘

G.Alexander
                    I will try to post pictures when I am at home. 3 weeks have passed and everything remains as it was, Wolverine remains yellow, pikachu and Carolinian with a greenish tint.

Comment

Originally posted by Amy View Post
                      Let us know how your ICP test looks like, I've also just purchased one.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	ICP.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	599679 Click image for larger version

Name:	ICP.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	599680

Comment

My ISP test from Fauna Marin. Everything looks fine except for Lithium, Barium and Aluminum. These are all problems with the reverse osmosis membrane.
                        4 years did not change, mistakenly believing that 0 TDS is a reason not to change membrane.
                        I changed the membrane and started massive water changes, for 300 liters of tank, 70 liters once a week.
                        I think a couple of months of massive changes will reduce the dangerous level of these elements.

If anyone has any additional comments, I will be glad.

Comment

Hello Nick, might be the right time to replace the TDS meter also, it does not seem to be accurate. From my experience those cheap meters which can be connected to the RO unit directly are not really accurate.

You can additional vacuum the sand a couple of times while doing the regular water changes to prevent that any of those substances has settle down in the sand.

G.Alexander

Comment

Working...
                          X