Do you quarantine your corals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you quarantine your corals?

Personally I just watch them for a few days in then put them in the tank, but I feel I need to become a bit more disciplined than that.

Curious what the more experienced SPS keepers with priceless collections do.
    I just take a good look for pests and if I don't see any plunk them into my tank right away
    72.58%
    I keep them in observation for 1 to a few days
    6.45%
    I keep them in observation for a few days and apply one or more dips
    4.84%
    I do a 2 week quarantine
    8.06%
    I do a 4 or more weeks quarantine
    8.06%
    Last edited by Orion76; 03-24-2005, 01:16 AM.
    400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Come on guys, this is an anonymous poll. Are you all really too embarrassed about your quarantine protocol to join in this poll?
    400 gallon reef, Bubble King 300, I~Spin, 2 x 10,000K BLV 400W, 2 x 20,000K Radium 400W, 2 x 6,400K Osram 400W, Schuran Jetstream 1, AquaController Pro

Comment

OK, Timon, I'll say it, I don't quarantine. Now, I feel cleansed but if[when] these critters hit my reef, I'll probably need to reconsider this procedure Bob
      "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Hi,
        just a detailed observation of the animal then an acclimatization at the temperature then, the coral is acclimatized gradually to lighting.
        <'))))< Pascal >(((('>

Comment

I have started dipping everything in seachems reef dip. Or Lugols. And looking the corals over well and then acclimate them to my tank. Also, I look for any eggs of the FW and remove them if I see any.

Comment

I check them when I get them and then plunk them into the tank and let them fly.
            You're Norma Desmond you used to be big.

I am big it's the pictures that got small.

From the classic movie "Sunset Boulevard"

Comment

I have never quarantined anything, until now. I picked up the dreaded Acro eating FWs. It has been a major PIA. I have had to remove just about every coral and dip them or frag them. I just setup a 55 gallon QT tank. I am now going to tear down my 120 and start over. I am removing, dipping and fragging every acro and putting them in my 55. I am then going to get all new live rock. Once I have the new rock in place I will SLOWLY put the corals back in from the QT tank that look healthy. I also plan to have about 4 or 5 different Wrasses in my 120 just in case. I will ALWAYS QT everything in the future. Did I mention that this is a PIA?

Comment

that sucks

Comment

I've had the regular FW, monti eating nudis, red bugs and you'd think I'd learn from that. But noooooo.
                  I need a smoke now.

SteveU
                  “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
                  ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

I have not had any problems with any sort of nasty creature (except those little starfish) for my sps yet thank god, when I get a new coral I will add a few drops of lugols to the container that it came in while Im acclimating. Id like to think that helps.

Comment

What do you guys think about leaving the specimen in a small tank with FW eXit overnight?

Comment

Whats quarantine?

Comment

Every coral that has ever gone in my tank gets a 20 min dip in lugols and tech-d then I shake the hell out of em in the water then i acclimate them with my tank water to get the temp exact .Zoanthids on the other hand get the sink ........Meaning i get my zoa container run some tap water check the temp with my finger to get it close ,then I fresh water dip em for 20 mins ,no amquel no nothing .Then I shake the hell out of em in the freshwater. then I put them in a high flow area in saltwater ........
                          www.reeftecdesigns.com

Comment

To do a quarantine period or treat the new corals is a pice of cake!
                            If you compare it with the work to clean out a serious acro flatworm infestion!
                            Dont even think that you will start to quarantine/treat your new corals after you have had your first pest getting into your system. If you think that will work you may get some nasty experiences in the future!

You guys dont want to see the box i have standing with "treated afterwards i found the acro flatworm" SPS corals!

As Wade2185 say never put anything in the tank without dipping in iodin or quarantine!

Comment

Does anyone have pics of the eggs from these AE Flat worms? Also how are you finding them?

Comment

Working...
                              X