Sarcophyton dying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sarcophyton dying

Ok, i really need help ASAP trying to save a dying sarcophyton.

As wrote on my thread, i'm still waiting for the zeo reactor to start full zeovit method.
    Meanwhile, i've lowered Po4 from 0.10/0.13 to 0.03. A previously magnificent sarcophyton, home of 2 clownfish is now dying. I would like to save it.

Any idea ? Can I start full zeovit without zeo filter ?

Actually, i'm using the daphbio protocol (bacterias + zoo + fito). I'll stop the protocol as soon as i get the reactor. I'm not dosing any coral food (zeo + fito isn't enough for soft corals?)

Hi ya,

add a pic of the coral and ur tanks prameters

soft corals do curl up, shed wax film and can take hours or days to return.

in my experience they are very hard to kill, but not impossible.

change if flow, salinity, light or another coral near by could also be anoying them. Sometime after a water change they can close up and come out the next day.

kz LPS amino does help with soft coral
    But dose sparingly

regard
    Nickb

Comment

Originally posted by NZ-Nick View Post
      Hi ya,

add a pic of the coral and ur tanks prameters

soft corals do curl up, shed wax film and can take hours or days to return.

in my experience they are very hard to kill, but not impossible.

change if flow, salinity, light or another coral near by could also be anoying them. Sometime after a water change they can close up and come out the next day.

kz LPS amino does help with soft coral
      But dose sparingly

regard
      Nickb

Also any aluminium based phosphates remover usually has negative impacted if soft corals like
      Sarcophyton

Comment

yes, i used AL99 resin for about one month

Attached Files

Comment

I would remove the al99

# is there any brown jelly on the coral ?

You also have another greenish one behind/ side of this one.

# what condition is that one looking like ?

If you want to use a phosphates remover use GFO type

a few water changes will help dilute the alloy compounds ( water changes will also help reduce you phosphates)

Comment

I have another (smaller) sarco and it looks good. On this big one is suffering. Today I saw that is trying to open polyps, let's see later this day

Comment

As I wrote in another thread Al based absorbers can have a negative impact to corals as Nick also said. I would replace it with a iron based absorber even if you plan to use ZeoVit soon. While the transfer to ZeoVit keep the absorber for the first couple of weeks, it needs to be remove slowly step by step to prevent uncontrolled a increase of PO4.

By the way which kind of sand do you use, is this live sand ?

G.Alexander

Comment

AL99 resin was removed more than a week ago. Actually i'm not using any po4 absorber. Last time I've cheked po4, it was 0.03 (on 4th of Nov)

When switching to zeovit should I add some rowaphos ? (iron-based)

Comment

Originally posted by G.Alexander View Post
                  As I wrote in another thread Al based absorbers can have a negative impact to corals as Nick also said. I would replace it with a iron based absorber even if you plan to use ZeoVit soon. While the transfer to ZeoVit keep the absorber for the first couple of weeks, it needs to be remove slowly step by step to prevent uncontrolled a increase of PO4.

By the way which kind of sand do you use, is this live sand ?

G.Alexander

yes, use Rowaphos
                  replace your carbon with new
                  and a couple of water changes would be good.
                  dilution is the solution

G.Alexander has a weath of knowledge so please read carefully so we can all learn and share the experience and joy of reefing.

Comment

Sand is aragonite dry-sand, not live

Retested a couple of minutes ago: po4 0.06

If should I put some rowaphos, how much and for how much time ,when starting zeovit ?

Comment

Would recommend you to use as much as necessary to prevent increasing PO4 furthermore. Start slow and increase the quantity if necessary.

G.Alexander

Comment

Working...
                      X