• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rename_01
    ZEOhead
    • Jul 2016

Clams and Sponge Power

Hi, All.

So I had a clam die (other two are fine) recently and everyone's asking me if I dose Phyto. Well I don't, and I've never really dosed it aside from putting it in one time, so the changes of my clams that have been in my tank for over a year needing Phyto to live, I'd say, slim to none.

Long story short, I've decided to just add like 5 more next time and get it overwith. With a clam load that large, would you guys increase your Sponge Power dosing? Right now, I'm dosing every other day, question is, can I dose SP every day and what negative impacts might it have?
  • chrisevich
    Almost a ZEOhead
    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by maLx
    Hi, All.

So I had a clam die (other two are fine) recently and everyone's asking me if I dose Phyto. Well I don't, and I've never really dosed it aside from putting it in one time, so the changes of my clams that have been in my tank for over a year needing Phyto to live, I'd say, slim to none.

Long story short, I've decided to just add like 5 more next time and get it overwith. With a clam load that large, would you guys increase your Sponge Power dosing? Right now, I'm dosing every other day, question is, can I dose SP every day and what negative impacts might it have?
    i think maxima clam doesn't need feeding, they can create enough energy from the light. If u had a fire clam, it is basically impossible to keep that long term in an aquarium, dosing more sponge power won't work I think

Comment

• Clavius
      Almost a ZEOhead
      • Aug 2009

I've always been told by my LFS to forget about clams whilst on Zeovit. I tried two times anyway, both times proving him right: I was unable to keep them alive. They need more dissolved nutrients then the Zeosystem will provide. Spongepower didn't help. A shame, I really really miss keeping clams!

Comment

• G.Alexander
        ZEOadmin
        • Jan 2005

In never had problems with Tridacna clams in my systems and I have not feed them separate. I kept them all a couple of years while they get bigger and bigger.

G.Alexander

Comment

• Clavius
          Almost a ZEOhead
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by G.Alexander
          In never had problems with Tridacna clams in my systems and I have not feed them separate. I kept them all a couple of years while they get bigger and bigger.

G.Alexander
          And what happens after those couple of yours? With me, first they seem to do fine. They grow fast for a year, maybe two and then very suddenly die. They start 'gaping' / they don't have the energy anymore to close the shells.

Comment

• Clavius
            Almost a ZEOhead
            • Aug 2009

That should have been "years" in my previous post, of course. Sorry, can't seem to edit my post.

Comment

• sps_muc
              ZEOhead
              • Sep 2010

Hi,
              I also had clams for years in my old big tank, which was very low nutrients.
              I did not feed them any "special" food...
              So for the question about Sponge Power daily: it was not necessary for me.

Keep in mind that clams need enough light and they are fragile for parasites.
              There might be snails and/or worms which might harm the clam.
              Did you check very closely for parasites?

regards
              George

Comment

• G.Alexander
                ZEOadmin
                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Clavius
                And what happens after those couple of yours? With me, first they seem to do fine. They grow fast for a year, maybe two and then very suddenly die. They start 'gaping' / they don't have the energy anymore to close the shells.
                I have kept squamosa and gigas both have become to big over the time so I sold them, as much as I know they are still alive.

The maxima and the crocea clam I have kept where sold after I have broken down my system back in 2012.

Pictures are from my two tank threads:

http://zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15390
                http://zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5950

G.Alexander

Comment

• Rename_01
                  ZEOhead
                  • Jul 2016

I have kept squamosa and gigas both have become to big over the time so I sold them, as much as I know they are still alive.

The maxima and the crocea clam I have kept where sold after I have broken down my system back in 2012.

Pictures are from my two tank threads:

http://zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15390
                  http://zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5950

G.Alexander
                  Those clams look great. But I had a similar issue. I had four clams and now I have one left. The maxima looks like it's going to give up today. With that said, i think it's more disease related than the ZEOvit system.

G. Did you add all of these clams at once or over time?

Let me know,
                  Joey

Comment

• Rename_01
                    ZEOhead
                    • Jul 2016

Originally posted by sps_muc
                    Hi,
                    I also had clams for years in my old big tank, which was very low nutrients.
                    I did not feed them any "special" food...
                    So for the question about Sponge Power daily: it was not necessary for me.

Keep in mind that clams need enough light and they are fragile for parasites.
                    There might be snails and/or worms which might harm the clam.
                    Did you check very closely for parasites?

regards
                    George
                    Yes I've looked and found nerite snails but not worms. I've had baby nerite snails in my tank for a year never bothered anything. What do the worms look like? Any clue? Are they worms specific to clams?

Comment

• G.Alexander
                      ZEOadmin
                      • Jan 2005

Those clams look great. But I had a similar issue. I had four clams and now I have one left. The maxima looks like it's going to give up today. With that said, i think it's more disease related than the ZEOvit system.

G. Did you add all of these clams at once or over time?

Let me know,
                      Joey
                      A older article but still actual:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/3/aafeature1

I have hear of bacteria infections with Tridacna clams which do harm the clams until death in a longer process and I also know some cases where a lot of clams died all in the same system within a short period of time without any kind of symptoms before. There was no issue with the water or anything else. Those clams all came from Tridacna farms but I do not have more details.

The clams in the pictures where not add all at once to the system, it was a longer process.

G.Alexander

Comment

• Rename_01
                        ZEOhead
                        • Jul 2016

A older article but still actual:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/3/aafeature1

I have hear of bacteria infections with Tridacna clams which do harm the clams until death in a longer process and I also know some cases where a lot of clams died all in the same system within a short period of time without any kind of symptoms before. There was no issue with the water or anything else. Those clams all came from Tridacna farms but I do not have more details.

The clams in the pictures where not add all at once to the system, it was a longer process.

G.Alexander

Yeah I’ve seen that article. At this point I’m pretty sure some kind of bacteria or pathogen killed my clams. The first one died two weeks ago, I lost two more in the last 3 days. I have one left. I hope he lives. We will see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• sps_muc
                          ZEOhead
                          • Sep 2010

Yes I've looked and found nerite snails but not worms. I've had baby nerite snails in my tank for a year never bothered anything. What do the worms look like? Any clue? Are they worms specific to clams?
                          Hi,
                          Here is an interesting article about clams:
                          http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/jf/index.php

Alexander's link also explains a lot.
                          For the worms: I read somewhere that bristle worms may hurt clams.

regards
                          George

Comment

Working...