• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monti eating Nudibranch - Aeolid

Images provided by Geronte

Scientific Name: Aeolid
    Target: Montipora
    Problem: The Nudibranch consumes SPS and actually separates these stinging cells within its digestive track.
    Solution: Dip infested coral in Lugols. Yellow Coriss Wrasse (hit or miss)

Reference: http://www.reeffarmers.com/tracygraynudi01.htm
    Last edited by G.Alexander; 04-21-2008, 04:54 AM.

http://www.farms-of-thesea.com/catal...0Predators.pdf

Comment

I've been plagued by these more than once. The only cure i've found is manual removal, although I didn't try any special fish as natural predators. Recently i found a large group of them on a yellow encrusting monti. I didn't take any chances and I just discarded the whole coral. They are absolutely terrible to deal with.

Comment

I have finally given in to these, removed all montis, what a waste, trust this though, another lesson well learned about quarantine...................
        IF IT IS WORTH DOING, TAKE YOUR TIME AND DO IT RIGHT..........

Comment

Images provided by gobygoby

Comment

I dumped a massive bright green encruster last week that just about got wiped out in less than a couple weeks. It was hidden in a back corner of one of the tanks. It was the only place I could keep it without it bleaching. This morning I fragged a bunch of caps down to manageable sizes without any deep folds. Hopefully now I can keep an eye on them daily.
            I've seen new transshipped colonies just covered with these on arrival. It make me wonder what keeping them in check in the wild. Or maybe these infestations coming from the holding tanks overseas.

SteveU
            “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
            ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

~\0\0\0\0~ the zeo forum I'll start light. I just came home from LA and to have whitenesed first hand a few wholesalers covered in the Monti nuidis and the Acro flaworms. One in particular was blowing them off then bagging/shipping them out. IMO there are always pests out there but stick to the reputable ones and look/quarantine for your own sake. JMO Look and look again.

Marvin

Comment

Close-up of Porites pest

Last year I found large numbers of small (2mm) white nudibranch type creatures - similar or identical to those in Heinz's post - underneath a Porites cylindrica frag which had been looking off colour. Decided they were probably the cause of the problem and spent two hours with a magnifying glass and tweezers removing them all. That seemed to do the trick.

This picture was taken at 40x magnification - excuse quality.

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by GTR
                  I dumped a massive bright green encruster last week that just about got wiped out in less than a couple weeks. It was hidden in a back corner of one of the tanks. It was the only place I could keep it without it bleaching. This morning I fragged a bunch of caps down to manageable sizes without any deep folds. Hopefully now I can keep an eye on them daily.
                  I've seen new transshipped colonies just covered with these on arrival. It make me wonder what keeping them in check in the wild. Or maybe these infestations coming from the holding tanks overseas.

SteveU
                  I wonder if retailers would object to corals being checked for parasites with a Mesoscope prior to purchase?

Barry.

Comment

i am currently battleing these dam things.... if i was to take all my montis out is there any guarantee that they will die with nothing to eat?

Comment

Iv'e had them twice now. Both times I resorted to fragging down to small pices I could inspect and be sure they were not on the coral. Even then they seem to return. If I see them on the small frags then I just toss the frag. The key is to continue to inspect and remove, daily.

I'm sure without a food source they will die off. Just not sure of the time frame needing for that to be viable.

SteveU
                      “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
                      ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

I've been raising these for a while now and still trying to pinpoint the lifecycle as far as egg incubation, lifespan and life expectancy without a food source.

These are in a 10g QT and all these pieces have been picked and brushed several times. I can see nudibranch from time to time 6" away from any coral. I've actually placed pieces in this tank to keep the lifecycle going.

They always start on the undersides or in the folds of the coral. Once they've eaten that tissue they'll move to the top, day or night. Some might hide by day but for the most part in my QT they stay in the open.

A red/orange cap that will be gone in less than a week. I see at least 10 adults at the tissue margins and a few egg masses on the eaten skeleton about dead center.

An encrusting piece. You can see it's unhappy but without close inspection you'd still wonder what was wrong. It seems they irritate the coral as well as eat it.

Small shot zoomed in on the egg masses.

There's only a couple people I know I'd wish these on.

SteveU
                        ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

this is like reliving a bad dream . i lost most of my tank due to them , i had alot of montis.but im slowly rebuilding ! i just got sick of removing the nudis one by one . so i tossed all the infected montis out , was a very sad day .
                          sarcasm is just another free service i offer .

Comment

WOW, Steve, excellent pix's. If something was eating on me, I'd be irritated tooAnyone taking over/under bets on Steve's wish-list? Bob
                            "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Great info Steve. Thanks for the work.

If you ever need any donor monti's LMK, I got live rock I need to get cleaned of some M. caps. Keeps growing back in the most inopportune places. Too impatient to cook it.

Keep us posted on what you learn of life cycle and such.

Marshal
                              265 gallon SPS tank. Bubble King 300 Internal, MRC CR-6 Calc Reactor. 3 400 watt 20k Helios. 90 gallon Frag tank plumbed into main display.

Comment

Working...
                              X