Bubble Algae

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bubble Algae

Hey all! I had a bubble algae issues in one of my non-ZeoVit tanks... And, even though I feel like I tried every quarantine/isolation procedure, it has move to my SPS only ZeoVit tank.... I have had luck using Vibrant in the other system, but I am terrified to use Vibrant with the zeo method... Either to drop nutrients TOO low or somehow mess up the bacterial balance in the system. Is there any other way besides vibrant (I added some emerald crabs) to eradicate this algae? Fluconazole has been disastrous for me with SPS in the past, so that’s not an option.....

thank you!

Maybe we can do more siphoning on it while replacing the water, and try to remove it carefully in this process to avoid it breaking.

Comment

Hi there.

are these two tanks joined to gether ??

Or like a cross contamination (hands in one tank and the other)

vibrant does have its place in the market
      if your no3 and pho are a little higher then it would be and option.
      as it does drive them down, and it can induce Cyanobacteria (imbalance meant).

Fluconazole I have use and full strength and at 1/2 strength with no ill effect to SpS.

you could try 1/2 or 1/4 dose and see how it goes.

if you can islolate the rock ( removed it from the tank) and try hydrogen peroxide.
      Remove scub infected area with toothbrush and HP and rinse a couple of time.

maybe check out the r2r thread on hydrogen peroxide dosing, and see if theees anything relating to “bubble algae”

don’t pop the bubbles as the release spores.
      which you already know.

Just a few ideas.

regards
      nickb

Comment

Originally posted by NZ-Nick View Post
        Hi there.

are these two tanks joined to gether ??

Or like a cross contamination (hands in one tank and the other)

vibrant does have its place in the market
        if your no3 and pho are a little higher then it would be and option.
        as it does drive them down, and it can induce Cyanobacteria (imbalance meant).

Fluconazole I have use and full strength and at 1/2 strength with no ill effect to SpS.

you could try 1/2 or 1/4 dose and see how it goes.

if you can islolate the rock ( removed it from the tank) and try hydrogen peroxide.
        Remove scub infected area with toothbrush and HP and rinse a couple of time.

maybe check out the r2r thread on hydrogen peroxide dosing, and see if theees anything relating to “bubble algae”

don’t pop the bubbles as the release spores.
        which you already know.

Just a few ideas.

regards
        nickb

Unfortunately, it was cross-contamination somehow... I have tried fluco and it was a disaster as it STOPPED my alkalinity consumption and led to a real nightmare... I'm just wondering if there is a safer method as the Zeo system is already a balancing act that I don't want to throw something out of whack (such as Vibrant).

Comment

From my experience I can tell that bubble algae do grow in a nutrient poor system also even if PO4 and NO3 is not detectable but their growth is slower. Not sure about the size of your system but a Naso tang should get rid of them within a short time.

G.Alexander

Comment

Emerald Crabs do a good job.

Comment

Working...
            X