Images from Splash

Latin name: Acanthastrea lordhowensis
    Discovered from / Year: Veron and Pichon, 1982
    Growth: slow / medium grower
    Degree of difficulty: easy - medium for advanced reefers
    Lighting: low / medium (bulb)
    Current: low

Reference: http://data.aims.gov.au/coralpages/h...%20pages/4.htm

Members please post your experiences & pictures in this thread to this species.
    Last edited by G.Alexander; 07-07-2009, 05:55 AM.

Image from Bachir

Bachir
    Last edited by G.Alexander; 04-02-2008, 09:34 AM.
    Bachir
    2000 - gallon saltwater

Comment

Bachir
      Bachir
      2000 - gallon saltwater

Comment

Man I love these guys but I just cannot get myself to drop down the $$$$ for them
        Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Not sure yet.....Build Thread to come!

Comment

what kind of care do they need? i have been totally ignorant toward acans till now

Comment

Very very easy. These are the most hardy corals ever. Require very little care. Just place them in a low-medium flow area with low-medium lighting. New growth can be seen monthly.
            Farish

Setup: 250G System, ATI Powermodul 10x80w T5s, 4x6100 Tunze Streams & 7095 MultiController, Deltec PF1000 CR, Deltec AP902 Skimmer, IKS, Zeovit, Artica 1Hp Chiller

Comment

you know what...I almost think I saw a acan lord at my lfs today...it was not looking so good and about 15% of it looked decent, the other parts were alive but not looking good. I saw that some of the polpys on the end had the red and green color charicteristic to acans...I also looked at the corralite structure...it DID resemble a acan's sturcture. They had it listed as acan echit. I do not think they have it labled correctly!!! There was no price tag on it, but heck half of the corals at this LFS dont. I mean, if I had some store credit...and they sold it to me as a "damaged brain coral" and I brought it back to health...hrmmm...ebay..... >:-)
              Proud owner of an Elegance Coral "that lived". (It is thriving whith long tentacle tips...purchased in January 2005.) It has white tentacle tips, I beleive this has something to do with ones that will typically live due to the collection site.

Comment

i have heard of people feeding them...what should i feed em?

Comment

The feeding tentacles are very pronounced at nite. I believe they accept anything from cyclopeeze to mysis to prawn meat.
                  Farish

Setup: 250G System, ATI Powermodul 10x80w T5s, 4x6100 Tunze Streams & 7095 MultiController, Deltec PF1000 CR, Deltec AP902 Skimmer, IKS, Zeovit, Artica 1Hp Chiller

Comment

Just curious. How much are you paying for these colonies? Seems to me some people are charging outrageous prices.

Comment

lord prices

znut the price is totally dependant on the crazy market. I can pick up lord colonies locally from one retailer who only puts normal markup on them . The typical indo colonies are what we get. The outrageous colored varieties are rumored to come from Japan illegally and are coming from a handful of people. I would hate to guess what they cost in a full colony.

Comment

Frink,

You got a PM.

Comment

And I find yet another forum haha.

Comment

mane, those are beautiful!! WOW!

Znut, the prices in Japan are as much as any other LPS coral would cost you. Average of $70-$80 for those colonies.

Comment

Thanks bro!

The prices in Japan are actually usually less then that, starting at just $10.00 believe it or not haha.

Comment

Working...
                              X