• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acanthurus leucosternon

Latin name: Acanthurus leucosternon
    Degree of difficulty: difficult
    Max size: about 23 cm
    Current: medium / strong

Members please post your experiences & pictures in this thread to this species.

Bachir
    Bachir
    2000 - gallon saltwater

Comment

Bachir
      Bachir
      2000 - gallon saltwater

Comment

These fish are definately not east to keep. I attempted one once in a 75 gallon reef. It looked fat and perfect at the store, I bought it directly after the shipment arrived. Still in the shipment bag, too. Well I put in in my 75 and thought "please, please dont die of ick, please!!!" It died. These fish are not hardy, I dont get it. I think they need a LARGE tank or else they will die. I still dont get why they always look so healthy at the LFS. mabe they come and go so fast I never see "bad ones"??? I am not sure.
        Proud owner of an Elegance Coral "that lived". (It is thriving whith long tentacle tips...purchased in January 2005.) It has white tentacle tips, I beleive this has something to do with ones that will typically live due to the collection site.

Comment

These guy really aren't that difficult to keep.

Adam, yours may have died due to stress. You have let it acclimate at the store for a week or so, then taken it home. Too much captive shipping can lead to an early death.

This fish prefers an large tank 125+, but can survive in a 75 for most of it's younger years.

Perfers room to swim as it's a very methodical swimmer.

Comment

ive always wanted one
            Nick
            Nick
            180G SPS Mainly
            10 Bulb T5 Starfire
            Calcium Reactor
            3 Tunze 6105's
            Profilux Controller
            ATB Return w/ wavysea
            ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Greetings All !

These guy really aren't that difficult to keep.
              I tend to agree. Source location ... in terms of how they get collected ... seems to be an important factor. More important ... IME ... is diet. These guys need something to graze. I've found that Gracilaria ... aka "ogo" ... to be an excellent primary food. The three tangs pictured above have been in that system for over 20 months ... their primary diet is a constant supply of Gracilaria, supplemented with blood worms, or brine shrimp, or a frozen food only 2 or 3 times a week.
              "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
              Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

mesocosm- what fish is more difficult to keep In your opipion the powder blue or the anchilles tang? i want to put 1 in my 180 SPS tank with the following fish

2 ocellaris clowns
                1 flame fairy wrasse
                1 labouti fairy wrasse
                1 lineatus fairy wrasse
                1 lubbocks fairy wrasse
                1 rhomboid fairy wrasse
                1 goldflake or majestic or regal angel (which ever one i can find first eating and in good shape)

then either the PB of the AT?

i have 4 tunze 6100 streams with a mag 12 for return so i have enough water movement for either fish.

what do you think?

thanks!

Nick
                275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

man you are really pushing your fish list nick! When do we get the pics of your tank???
                  Proud owner of an Elegance Coral "that lived". (It is thriving whith long tentacle tips...purchased in January 2005.) It has white tentacle tips, I beleive this has something to do with ones that will typically live due to the collection site.

Comment

Adam in time, maybe this weekend i will take some pics, i am just trying to finalize it. I jsut dont know if i can add a tang with those fairy wrasses.

Nick
                    275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

Comment

Gorgeous animals. I kept 2 at different times, one died overnight, the other lived a couple years.

My thought to share about them - they can be kept. They can get stressed and die easily if something freaks them out.

The most experienced fish retailer I know said, paraphrasing:
                        "The powder blue tang is my least favorite fish because of just how many die to get one to the hobbyist. The goldflake angel is my least favorite. Most die before getting acclimated at a store"

I wouldn't get one. When you buy one, you're telling store owners to keep ordering them. I've been there when the box opens up from the wholesaler and it's full of dead powder blue tangs.

For every one that sees a home aquarium, dozens probably die between diver-exporter-wholesaler-retailer. Big, fat, well fed, and stone cold dead.

I loooooove them dearly, but the terrible cost their species pays when people buy one isn't morally justifiable.

Maybe if someone doesn't know better, but buying one because "it's pretty - who cares about how many die as long as I get one home" is the kind of thing that is leading our hobby to tight restrictions.

For those who have them already, keep up the great work - you obviously love that fish and take remarkable care of it (just being on this site seems an indicator of level of dedication). Just please don't replace them once they pass on (even if it's from old age).

Seeing a big box of dead ones is sickening, then seeing amateur people (not zeo.com users) buy one (that represents it's 10-15 dead brothers and sisters) to kill it is too much.

Boxes of dead PBT's are just awful, but completely common. I'm not trying to admonish anyone reading this - I dearly loved my PBT that lived for years. I was bummed when it died. They're one of the prettiest fish in the trade. It's obvious why people want them.

But they also die en masse because of this hobby, and few people understand this. Actually seeing the carnage changed my attitude, and I hope you consider this as fellow hobbyists who care about the wild reefs that are disappearing.
                        Last edited by Bad Motor Finger; 10-26-2005, 06:39 PM.

Comment

BTW Mesocosm - that photo is stunning. I like not only the striking tangs lining up near each other, but the corals framing them in the shot. Wow.

Is the clown or PBT the alpha?

The other PBT shots show healthy specimens. They're so attractive. Great shots too. I should go to the Maldives so I could collect them carefully myself just to have a tank full of them.

Here's Fenner's article on them - http://www.wetwebmedia.com/powdbluetg.htm

Comment

Working...
                          X