Ask A Cop!!! Questions Answered Here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask A Cop!!! Questions Answered Here!

Well, I've seen similar threads other places, so I figured I'd start one here.
    Feel free to ask me anything police related. I'll answer it the best I can. My answers will be based on personal knowledge & experiences as an officer & trainer for the last 10 years in Wisconsin.
    Speeding? Arrested? Interpretations of the law? Girlfriend beat you up....again? Why are handcuffs tight? Do I know so and so? Ask away, but please keep it civil. This isn't a cop-bashing thread...not that there would be people like that in Zeoville!

Disclaimer: Any responses I give are not to be considered legal advice. If you are in a serious legal situation, please consult an attorney (which I am not). This is meant to be for fun, NOT legal advice.
    T.J.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

NICE TJ and great idea!!

I do have a question. I drove to another city far from me in the state of TX and received a speeding ticket of 15mph over limit. Well, I wasnt able to make the next month court date and now I have a warrant in this city. My question is.. does the warrant only show for the jurisdiction I was in or does it travel all across the state of TX? They sent me a letter and the only way for me to fix this problem is to drive there and pay, but that is way out of my area and dont plan on visiting this area again. And now Im worried if I get pulled over in Houston, that they may see this? But then again, I doubt it.. but thats only assuming.

Comment

Thanks for the question, Ed!
      Your question can have many answers. Some of the larger cities will only put their traffic (ie: municipal) warrants into their own local system. So if another city stops you, the warrant won't even show up. Other communities (like mine of about 60,000) will put them into the national database, but put "geographic restrictions" on it. Usually it will only include the surrounding counties.
      I'm guessing that the warrant is only for the surrounding areas, especially for such a small forfeiture (I'm guessing about $130?). The best way to take care of this is call the clerk of courts for the city, then send them a check for what you owe.
      If it's more involved, get a liar...ahem, I mean low-yer....dang it, I mean lawyer!
      T.J.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Comment

bad boy edwarddddddddddddddd..........
        www.reeftecdesigns.com

Comment

Edward, Just send me the $130 and forget about it . I promise if you get arrested, You can call me for bail.
          Brian

Comment

Thanks TJ!! Thats what I suspected. It makes me feel better, but i know I still need to take care of it and the best way is probably through a lawyer. Now.. I always thought that you had to be convicted before they can put this on your record. Just yesterday, i was getting a new insurance quote and they looked into my records and this speeding ticket pulled up. I was really surprised!! I have had MANY speeding tickets in my life and always had them dismissed by a lawyer or other method, but I dont see how this court can do this without getting both sides of the story and then making a conviction. This ticket may not pull up in the Houston city limits, but it sure did in getting an insurance quote.

Comment

Tj, question #2. Wow, I love this thread!

Is it ok to video tape from any public road and sidewalk? Once, I ran into a problem where I was video taping a confrontation with some guys at a local club and the bouncer came out and told me to shut it off since they were in the wrong doing. Well, I told them no and they had to come after me to shut it off. We threw some words back and forth and I walked into the street because I knew that the street was public and like the news people, you can film from there. It got pretty hot, and then the bouncer decided to call a cop over to me and asked me nicely to put it away and I respected this and also told us that the bouncer was having a bad day. So again, my question is.. is it ok to video tape from any public area that belongs to the city?

Comment

Ed (aka: troublemaker);
                In regards to how the ticket can show up on your record, that's easy. You were found guilty...by default. That's what happens when you don't show up in court. You are found guilty and you are expected to pay the fine. You had your chance to give you side of the incident, but you failed to show up, so they default on you. You then have 60-90 days (usually) to pay the fine. Then it goes to warrant.
                EDIT: The only way to be able to give "your side" of the incident at this point would to petition the court to re-open the case. (costs some $$$) Then you could have your trial.

Answer to question #2...
                You may video tape from a sidewalk/public area. Different towns may have ordinances regarding your actions, but in general you can tape from public areas. To give a more specific answer to your incident, I'd have to get more details....but in general broad terms, you can tape. It's happened to me at work. I just ignore the camera and continue about my business.
                T.J.

Comment

Thanks TJ! Its nice to get a cops perspective especially for those who dont keep up with the laws they change every so often.

Comment

So let me ask this - truth or urban legand?

You get pulled over for speeding. Is it within the drivers right to ask for proof such as seeing the radar gun? And to take it a step further, if you decide to dispute it, can you actually request in court to use the calibration of said radar gun as well as officer training records as evidence in the drivers favor?

side note - I am not a trouble maker like Edward - in fact just a few weeks ago, I got pulled over, the officer says 'The reason you were pulled over is because you were doing 44 in a 30.' He even showed me the gun - I barely looked at it b/c I was so pissed at myself, becuase I was speeding and I knew it. I told him that 'I understand, here is my license and registration.' A few minutes later he comes back and says 'I am going to give you a break today, this is a formal warning, not a written violation requiring you to go to court. Just one thing, SLOW DOWN!'

--Matt

Comment

edward ,it would be easiest if you just took a day or 2 off and went back to the cout you were ticketed in and plede with the judge ...then pay his fine ,bring lots of cash just incase you get a prick judge..
                      when i was sixteen i got a speeding ticket and was required to show up in person .I showed up in shorts and sandals ,well I had to drive back home 1 hr away and change ,then show back in court at 1.30 that day .the judge was pissed b/c i wasnt there in the morning I tryed to explain ,but he said you need to pay 144.00 now ,i explained to him I only had 100 on me and I wanted a extension on payment(like the cleark and all my friends say they do standard ),he replyed if you would have been here in the morning i could have done that for you ...but since you were not you must pay in full now ..or get taken away ..he ended up having the cop in the court house handcuff me ..i know i must have showed fear in my face,b/c at that moment a guy stood up in the court room and offered and paid my 44 bucks on the spot ..I paid him back later that day ..and my lesson is cops and courts scare meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....Even though my dad is retired law enforcement and my uncle is retired law enforcement lutinuet of santa monica ..
                      www.reeftecdesigns.com

Comment

Tonka: The answer to your question is some truth and some urban legend. Officers (at least in Wisconsin) are NOT required to show you the speed tracking device. First off, it's an officer safety issue. As a vehicle contacts (read: traffic stops) instructor, I train officers not to have anything in their hands that they absolutely don't need when approaching a vehicle. This would include a bulky, cordless Lidar (laser) gun. For a wired system (ie: radar), it's a safety issue due to bringing an unsecured subject back to the squad. But, enough about that issue. Another reason we aren't required to show you proof at the time of the stop is, well, because it's not court. Even if I showed you a speed on the radar of 65 in a 35, there's nothing that says it's yours. I could've tracked someone else an hour earlier and left it on there (not that I would, but here's the point...). Sometimes you (and court) just have to take the officers word.
                        Now, the truth portion has to do with training records, calibrations, etc... For a trial, you can make a records request to have copies of all that information. Our speed detection equipment has the certification info on the side of the gun/unit, and is updated every 6-9 months. Officers are also required to do calibration checks at the beginning of each shift.
                        Hope that answers your questions!
                        T.J.

Comment

Seareef: Don't be afraid of officers. Remember, if you don't do anything wrong, you don't have anything to worry about! Believe me, there are enough troublemakers to keep me busy...I don't have to go "picking" on innocent people just to make their lives miserable (like mine)!!
                          Also, in your particular case, it seems that the "prick judge" was that way because he felt that you disrespected him and his court by showing up late and in shorts & sandels. I have to agree with the judge...court is serious business, and it upsets me when people expect a favor, or "the usual", and get upset when they get tagged with their full tickets, etc.
                          Remember, when you're in court, a judge doesn't have to follow common practice, such as the extension you mentioned. They can raise/lower fines and do all kinds of things...it's the ultimate power!
                          I think you learned something that day...but don't be afraid of us, we're people too! Demented people...strange people...but still people! Best of luck to you!
                          T.J.

Comment

Here is one for you T.J.
                            4 way traffic light controlled intersection. 2 right hand turn lanes, we will say northbound turning east (signed right on red after stop). There is no limit line on the left hand lane. Confused yet? Anyway, Right hand lane, obviously can make a right "when safe, after complete stop". Does this include the left (#2) turn lane? or does one need to wait for the green arrow?

Thanks, and great idea for a thread.
                            And from a correctional officer, thanks for keeping my family fed.
                            Marshal
                            265 gallon SPS tank. Bubble King 300 Internal, MRC CR-6 Calc Reactor. 3 400 watt 20k Helios. 90 gallon Frag tank plumbed into main display.

Comment

Marshal, glad I can help things on the homefront!
                              Regarding the right turn from the outer of the two right turn lanes....
                              ...it would depend on the signage. Where I'm at, when there are two right turn lanes, they are all posted "no turn on red from left lane". Makes it pretty simple.
                              I just looked up the California traffic code and found this:
                              22100 (3) Upon a highway having an additional lane or lanes marked for a
                              right turn by appropriate signs or markings, the driver of a vehicle
                              may turn right from any lane designated and marked for that turning
                              movement.
                              Then I found traffic code 21453....your laws read like stereo instructions...in Chinese! I would ask a local officer for their opinion...or just stay in the right lane!
                              T.J.

Comment

Working...
                              X