Need PC hard drive help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need PC hard drive help

I have an older system running window 98 and it will only boot in safe mode.
    I can get to all the data but can't get it off the system since in safe mode the CD or zip drive don't work.
    Is the any way I can pull the hard drives out of this PC and externally hook them to another system to transfer the data?

SteveU
    “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
    ...Charles F. Kettering

Originally posted by GTR
    I have an older system running window 98 and it will only boot in safe mode.
    I can get to all the data but can't get it off the system since in safe mode the CD or zip drive don't work.
    Is the any way I can pull the hard drives out of this PC and externally hook them to another system to transfer the data?

SteveU
    You sure can. Unlug it, then you will have to set the jumpers to slave. Place it in your new computer on the 2nd IDE cable with power. You may need to play with the existing HD jumpers and set it to either Master or Cable Select.

Comment

you sure can Steve... The thing about IDE drives is you can have 2 per controller, a master and a slave.. there is a jumper on the drive that can be master, slave, or CS (cable select)..

so, if you are adding it to another machine plug the cable into the second controller, if there is already a drive (CD / DVD) on the controller you may have to add it to the cable and change the jumper so it doesn't clash with the existing drive, or remove the CD/DVD and replace it with the old HDD (easiest way)

Just don't change the boot drive in the new machine and you should be fine, otherwise it may want to boot off the old drive.

rich.

Comment

Well every machine I have already has two drives in it (just as the one that won't boot normal).
        So I guess I'll go buy another desktop with a big drive and transfer both onto it.
        I tried to boot from the CD to try a reinstall of win 98 but I can't get it to see the drive. Win 2000 will start up in the CD drive at start up but I'm afraid of how it wants to change the data and reformat the drives.

Thanks...

SteveU
        “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
        ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

Originally posted by GTR
          Well every machine I have already has two drives in it (just as the one that won't boot normal).
          So I guess I'll go buy another desktop with a big drive and transfer both onto it.
          I tried to boot from the CD to try a reinstall of win 98 but I can't get it to see the drive. Win 2000 will start up in the CD drive at start up but I'm afraid of how it wants to change the data and reformat the drives.

Thanks...

SteveU
          You have two options. You can either buy a second IDE controller so you can have 3 HD's at once or you can remove one of your 2nd HD's temporarily, put the win98 HD in and copy all files to the bootable HD, then put the original back in.

Comment

No big deal... the HD only has about 5,000 part images and 1,500 pages of my catalog in Pagemaker and all the PDF files for them.
            ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

Working...
            X