Another Emergency....darnet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Emergency....darnet

Well, got home from school today and my 125 gallon...the water in the sump was drastically low and the powerstrip that had all the lights hooked to it was melting or something....smelled something burning...so I unplugged everything and cleaned up as much water as possible. I am not sure how I had a leak...the massive sump on this tank is actually 2 50 gallon rubbermaid tubs connected with like (2) 2" ID PVC pipes...I THINK what happened is something in the sump(filter bag? PVC pipes floating around down there?) got suctioned to both holes, or just one, so water could not flow through to the other sump. Therefore the pump pumped all the water out of the sump#2, overflowing sump#1. Since the water level was so high in sump#1, it overflowed and somehow magically(hav'nt figured out how yet) Whatever was stuck got unstuck and all the water flowed into sump#1, therefore the water level in sump#1 was high enough again? with all that water from sump#2 flowing into it....but no. The water level was very low in both sumps...something doesnt make sence...it is a mystery...a emergency mystery...right now everything is unplugged and "drying" Untill I figure out what happeded..

Emergencys are common with marine aquariums....I think I have around 20 per year...
    Proud owner of an Elegance Coral "that lived". (It is thriving whith long tentacle tips...purchased in January 2005.) It has white tentacle tips, I beleive this has something to do with ones that will typically live due to the collection site.

You need to spend more time setting up rather then rushing through everything to get a new tank setup.

Take your tank and examine all the aspects of your sump for possible leaks.

Comment

I've had two small problems with tank related wet floors in maybe the last ten years.
      One was a turbo snail in the overflow and the other was when a 15 year old tank started leaking. Look long and hard at your system with the assumption that if could happen it will, given enough time.

Now floods from RO/DI making and filling the top-off tub while answering the phone... that's another story.

SteveU
      “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
      ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

see there is absolutely no way I thought this tank could overflow...only if something is blocking pipes or RC system goes whack could it overflow..
        Proud owner of an Elegance Coral "that lived". (It is thriving whith long tentacle tips...purchased in January 2005.) It has white tentacle tips, I beleive this has something to do with ones that will typically live due to the collection site.

Comment

When the tank is full and the sump is a normal level what will happen when the power goes off? What will happen when it comes back on? Did you solve yesterdays problem with the u-tubes?

Do you have any pictures of your tank and sump?

SteveU
          “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
          ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

If a filter bag was sucked into the pipes, there shouldn't be a problem, water flows through filter bags, they wouldn't be the cause of a clog.

Check your rubbermaids for leaks, they tend to crack under the pressure of water, especially if you don't buy the super heavy duty ones. Also check the 2 pipes for any possible leaks in the silicone.

Comment

It is possible for a filter bag to get dirty enough that it would restrict the flow. I have no idea how you have it set up so I can't say if in your case it could happen. A pic would help and a description would be like telling me how to build your house using words only.

SteveU
              ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

Even if a filter bag was that dirty, under that amount of water pressure in a 2'' ID PVC pipe, the bag would most likely yield to the water.

Comment

Sean... I don't want to argue but depending on how the bag is attached to the return water pipe... it can happen. Water in the overflow pipe is not under much pressure, only the weight of the water.
                  A 100 micron filter bag becomes a 50 micro filter bag when it's dirty and then becomes a 10 micron filter bag... etc.
                  SteveU
                  ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

I'm not trying to argue.

Comment

Sean... I know... that's why I put in the .

If you tie the filter bag to a return pipe in time it WILL clog enough that the tank can no longer drain. We... (you and I) have no idea how Adam is using them.
                      I read the original post AGAIN and if I'm reading correct he leaves the bags and maybe other things floating in the sump. Also passive connections from one sump into another without any slope or drop need to be much larger than you would first think. I've run daisy chain tanks and sumps in the past and I was always suprised how little flow they can handle. I had a 1.5" BH connection which would only carry the flow from an MJ 1200 without causing level problems.

I guess Adams still mopping the floor, either that or he touched the wrong thing while standing in a puddle.

SteveU
                      ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

Steve, You are absolutley correct.. I went away for a few days and was lazy and didn't change the filter socks out.. Well I got home to a wet floor.. The filter bags can and will hinder flow enough to cause the tank to overflow... I change mine out now every 6 days and that works good for me.. 8 days and I will have an overfilled tank...

Comment

I figured out the problem. The water from the filter bag was leaking over the side of the sump because it had lots of detrius in it, so the water level was high in the filter bag, so it leaked over the side of the filter bag out of the sump on to the floor(The filter bag was touching the side of the sump...mistake. So I just took the filter bag off completely. I will figure something else out eventually.

My 75's overflow is working perfectly now....I hooked the air tube I have in the U-tube up to the venturi on the powerhead. So the venturi sucks the air out of the U tube into the vinturi out of the u-tube so air doesnt clog the u tube. :-)

Comment

Will the venturi pull the air out of the u-tube fast enough after a power failure. Since you now have a hole in the u-tuble I would think it will empty and lose siphon when the power is off. I'd turn everything off and check that Adam just to be sure.

SteveU
                            ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

I think a picture is needed for this one. That just sounds like 2 syphons into one during a power failure.

You'll have the U-tube syphon and the venturi in the PH syphoning.

The reason for those holes in U-tubes it to break syphon, mainly.

Comment

Working...
                              X