I am so frustrated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am so frustrated

I am a student at San Jose State University in California but in my spare time my true passion (besides saltwater tanks) is racing cars. I have raced cars for 4 years now. My first 3 years I road raced go-karts (my 3rd year winning the national championship) and last year I raced an IMCA Modified (finishing 4th in points out of 28).

This year I made some really beautiful sponsorship packets to promote my racecar/team to companies that would like to sponsor a racecar and in return recieve advertising and recognition. The sponsorships started around a couple of hundred dollars and went up to 1000. I sent my sponsorships out via e-mail and all the responses I have recieved back are "we are currently focusing on our national sponsorships and therefore are not interested". This is so frustrating and really a heartbreaker.

What companies don't seem to understand is that if you don't sponsor racecar drivers at the beginning stages of their careers then they have no chance in moving up. If people don't move up then there are less good racecar drivers in the professional levels. You have to support those at the bottom so one day there can be a top level. It is so sad when you really put your heart into something you love and no one is willing to notice your efforts.
    You're Norma Desmond you used to be big.

I am big it's the pictures that got small.

From the classic movie "Sunset Boulevard"

I am not into racing much.. I do watch Formula one and indy when I do watch at all.. I do own a business though.. I will tell you this ,we will not buy from any vendors over the phone or mail order stuff. We like to see a person and meet a person.. If I was you I would take that aproach aswell. Much easier for you to get money face to face with someone then through mai or emaill.. Think about it who would you rather sponsor a guy with a face or a piece of mail.. just food for thought.. I have many friends that race modified and late models.. I will say the late model guys do much better on sponsorship around here...

Comment

I'm surprised that you would get many responses at all to an email solicting funds. My email boxes are stuft full everyday with things I have no interest in at all. I look through them for things that will make me money... not places to spend it. So I guess I agree with Scott here.
      To be honest I view this as more of a donation and not for the value received as advertising. Either one is a business write-off but a write-off is just that and not the same as cash in hand.

Approach those local businesses that you see as potential sponsors and meet with them in person. Have some numbers on paper regarding the number of people they might reach that are target prospects for them. Your lower levels of sponsorship are affordable to any viable business. What you need to find is someone who wants to see their name on your car for the bragging rights it would give them at the track.
      Keep in mind large businesses have more to spend but reaching the decision maker on a regional level is difficult at best. If they need to follow it up the chain of command they must be even more convinced that it's the right thing to do.

What companies don't seem to understand is that if you don't sponsor racecar drivers at the beginning stages of their careers then they have no chance in moving up.
      You are asking for money... this is not about you... you need to make it about what it will do for them if they do decide to fork it out to you.
      SteveU
      Last edited by GTR; 03-15-2005, 07:07 PM.
      “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
      ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

Here's the problem, I live in California.

I have tried the face to face approach many, many times. However, for the most part, small business's in California could care less about racing because racing is not as big here as it is on the east coast. People in California want to sponsor young kids baseball teams, not racecars. So I thought I would try a different approach.

Hey at least corporations are getting back to me, business's in Cali. didn't even want to here what I had to say.

Comment

If nobody in California cared about racing you wouldn't be racing in California. I was involved in a local 1/4 mile track for a short time and realize that much of the money is made at the back gate but without people in the stands there will be no racing in short order.
          If you could somehow reach some of those people that might own a business you might get somewhere.You gotta look at this like you're a salesman and it's really just a numbers game. People even say no to the Girl Scout cookies ( I don't know how though).
          SteveU
          “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
          ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

True, the only problem is that where I race the fans typically don't have extra $$ to spend. It is a less wealthy part of Northern California. I am trying to get in touch with those who own business's and are fans of racing it's just so hard in Norcal. Trust me, the racing scene, even in SoCal, is much bigger than it is in NorCal. I guess persistance is the name of the game.

Comment

I do have to say one thing though. Out of all the companies I have approached so far Red Bull Energy Drinks is by far the best.

They worked with me one on one and wrote personal e-mails. They are focusing more on their national sponsorships right now but I am meeting with the South Bay Marketing Representative and they are going to give me some products. I am hoping they take a liking to me and decide to reconsider my sponsorship proposal. Wish me luck.

Comment

I know how it is Brad. Not racing, but looking for Sponsors. I'm a college student as well and I now own 2 small businesses (I wish that ment I had money...).

Anyways, one I am co-founder and we've just started. South East Gamers, we're trying to take over the South East Console game tournaments since we're all gamers. Bring in a lot of competition etc, but we really have no funds so we have to look for sponsors. We got Bawls already who've been a big help, but we really can't find any others.

I'd say, get a web site together, get a record up for people to see. Pictures, etc. Most of our sponsors want to see pictures of events, sign up sheets etc. They want to see we can really get them people.

Also look for companies who want to target that audience, I don't see a tie between Red Bull and cars, but hey, if they sponsor you, power to you. Car part companies, performance companies, car clubs and the sorts are going to be your best bet. We only go after companies who want to targer gamers and young adults, they can see the real benefit in the advertising. Right now we're looking at hotels so our players can get discounted rates during the tournaments. We might even be able to pull an airliner later this year if we can get 5+ regional tournaments with 200+ individuals. It looks like we're going to get 2 done in April.

As mentioned above, try to not make it about money, but about the advertising. Money should be the last thing mentioned, sell the advertising.
                "I wanted to see if you were interested in sponorsing a raceteam. The advantages would be a great source of advertising.." etc etc.

Also consider, not all sponsors want to give money, some would rather give items. For instance, Bawls doesn't provide with any money, they provide ALL the beverages for a competition and we make money off that. You might want to look into a place that could provide car parts...Just an idea.

Best of luck!

Comment

I am involved in a local Drag car team on the central coast of Cali, I wouldn't consider the area to be wealthy. We have managed to secure several local sponsorships for about the same amount of money you are talking. We simply went business to business with an 8x10 of the car and the trailer, showed them the ad space they were buying on each and landed a few sponsors. As you well know, the sponsors don't add up to much in the grand scheme of things. We got a local contractor to buy fuel for the tow rig and the fuel to race with. (he uses it as a business write off). Others are cash which pays entry fees to the first couple races of the season, but hey, least we aren't carrying the whole nut, especially when your trying to make a 3000 lb 65 ElCamino run B gas (8.60's at 155 mph) with a small block chevy. Do the math, it takes 875 horsepower. Oh, and a parachute.

Good luck to you and "stay the course". If you have natural ability and a little luck, things will eventually go your way.
                  CAReefer
                  Last edited by CAReefer; 03-16-2005, 12:01 AM.
                  265 gallon SPS tank. Bubble King 300 Internal, MRC CR-6 Calc Reactor. 3 400 watt 20k Helios. 90 gallon Frag tank plumbed into main display.

Comment

CAReefer... Need door or window seals for the EC?

SteveU
                    ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

Nah, rubber weights too much and All except windshield is Plexi. Thanks tho.
                      265 gallon SPS tank. Bubble King 300 Internal, MRC CR-6 Calc Reactor. 3 400 watt 20k Helios. 90 gallon Frag tank plumbed into main display.

Comment

The last car we did was a 68 Fury turning high 8's so I don't think the weight of the rubber was much of an issue. He really just wanted something to keep all the rattles in check.
                        SteveU
                        ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

Rattles, hell can't hear squat with the open headers.

Comment

Wow Im surprised that not many people are into the legal race scene over there. Considering how popular the street racing scene is there. Another thing Im suprised with with all the "car shops" out there Im surprised as well. I drive a heavilly modded Acura Integra as my daily driver and I would have to say that 95% of all the products on my car came from Cali. Here in SoFL its a big thing but I always thought it was a whole different ball game over there.
                            Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Not sure yet.....Build Thread to come!

Comment

It is, but most of those parts come out of Socal, not Norcal. I would say street racing is way bigger in the LA area then it is in the Bay Area.

Comment

Working...
                              X