Mods for standard ER skimmer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mods for standard ER skimmer

has anybody turned their standard ER skimmer into a recirculating model..I can see how to do the recirculating mod. I'm just not sure how the water is feed into the skimmer?
    [email protected]

Mark, you would just make a hole about 3/4 or 4/5 (or so) of the way up on the side of the skimmer, install a Uniseal, and then some pipe or a barb, and feed water via a hose coming from a dedicated pump or plumbing...

It really is easy, as long as making holes in your skimmer doesn't freak you out. And I do think it makes big difference in skimmer performance...!

In the picture below, the red line and arrow represent the feedline coming into the skimmer...

Last edited by Todd March; 03-03-2005, 08:49 PM.
    Rimless Starfire 85g SPS
    (36" x 26" x 21")
    ATI Powermodule 10 x 39W
    ATB Small Cone
    RK2
    Vortech MP40W
    6025 Stream modded
    Vertex Zeo Reactor
    Balling

Comment

What is the whosiewhatsit on the very bottom? Also in that skimmer it looks like the output to the recirc is pointing down. This doesn't create micro bubbles exiting the skimmer? Or allow them to be sucked up (recirc) back through the pump?

Comment

OK first off, the thing in the bottom is just a drain valve. Second off, the 45 on the pump outlet doesn't even come with the skimmers. I provided my own and put one on the feed inlet and one on the pump and made the thing "swirl", not point down. The one on the pump actually fell off b/c there wasn't enough pipe in there on mine to really stay on securely without gluing which I didn't really want to do b/c uniseals wear out and then I'd have a problem if something was glued onto both sides. Golfish, http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=523212
        has pix of my RC6-2 that is on my office tank.

Madison, the above being said, at least on my 6-2 the pump isn't strong enough to "fill the reactor column" so no bubbles make it out or back to the pump. A good 3" or so of the bottom of the skimmer is completely clear. In contrast, on my Deltec, only the very bottom of the skimmer is free of bubbles....
        Last edited by moonpod; 03-04-2005, 08:24 AM. Reason: Fixed the URL link
        10x3x2 FOWLR (for now)
        BK400ext
        RD12 return, 2 RD12 closed loop, wavebox with extension
        MRC kalkmixer
        IKS

Comment

This is a cheap ER 5-2 modified by adding an 18" long 6" dia cast acryclic bottom. Sedra 9000 pinwheel, and new over flow design,

Modified ER

HELP.......What is the trick to adding photos?

Comment

Originally posted by ldrhawke
            This is a cheap ER 5-2 modified by adding an 18" long 6" dia cast acryclic bottom. Sedra 9000 pinwheel, and new over flow design,

Modified ER

HELP.......What is the trick to adding photos?
            upload it to your gallery then copy the [img] [/img] up to here and your set. if you cant get it. upload it and pm me, I will get it up here for you.

scott

Comment

I tried that and do have the photos ip loaded into my gallery. I am doing something wrong when I copy over the image

Comment

Here is the pic for you bro..

Use the Insert Image tag in the tool bar. copy the link address then past it in there

Comment

Still doesn't work....I don't know what I am doing wrong

I click on insert image........copy link of photo from gallery.....close tag and it comes up with a ? mark box
                  Last edited by OUinLA; 03-04-2005, 10:19 AM.

Comment

hawk, you are using the link for the gallery page and not the link for the image itsself. I fixed it in your post but what you'll want to do is right click on the picture and get the url from "properties". hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by OUinLA
                      hawk, you are using the link for the gallery page and not the link for the image itsself. I fixed it in your post but what you'll want to do is right click on the picture and get the url from "properties". hope that helps.
                      That's the problem.....no right button on a MAC. Where to click and how else can I open and get the photot url from properties. I know it is a simple answer but I can't figure out how to open photo properties to get the url. If I click on "view source" I get the whole page.

Just figured it out how to doit on a MAC..."control" click on photo in gallery, open image in new window, and copy that location to insert image. Sorry for all the confusion and thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd March
                        and feed water via a hose coming from a dedicated pump or plumbing...

OK, I'm starting to get the idea..What kind of flow are we talking about on the feed pump to the skimmer? MJ 1200 or something more.

Maybe I should just sell my old CS6-3 and get a new skimmer...It is tax return time..

My wife would kill me if I spent 1000.00 on a new skimmer
                        [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                        X