X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to zeo

hello everyone,
    very nice site
    anyway, im new to zeo and i currently dont have a zeo tank, although there might be a place for zeo in my next tank. have a few questions: on the zeo guide, it lists a bunch of other bottles and liquids other than the "basic 4" (zeovit,zeofood,zeobak,zeostart, am i getting this right?)...do i really need all those other things? also i read the zeoliths are supposed to be changed out every 6 weeks or so right? how much(as in money) do you guys think it will take to run a zeo tank? thats all the questions i can think of right now, but there will definitely be more to come
    -thanks

Jonah, fill out the sticky at the top of the page about your tank.. That will give everyone a good amt of info on your tank and help to better answer your questions.

WELCOME aboard, Jeff

Comment

o sorry, hehe...this is not for my current tank, which is only about 20 gallons, if i do zeo, it will be on my next tank which will probably be around 270 gallons total. skimmer will probably be an AP702. i will probably add a reactor of some sort once the frags start growing, dont plan on using UV, ozone, rowa, phosban, etc...tank will be BB, SPS only,...i think thats about it.

Comment

Hi Jonah, the avg. cost for using the ZEOvit method is ~$25/100g/mo. This includes just the basic four which for the first several mos. of use, is all I needs for the method to be successful. The other supplements are used when nutrient-poor waters are present for these to "fine-tune" coral coloration. The initial cost of the zeo-filter is not included in this & is a one-time only expense. HTH. Bob
        "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

I HAVE A 125 IVE BEEN DOIN zeo SINCE DEC AND I HAVE MORE THEN 1/2 THE BOTTLE OF food aa start and i just finishd my bak today and 3 bags of the zeo so thats 80 for 3 months which is 20 a month
          Nick
          Nick
          180G SPS Mainly
          10 Bulb T5 Starfire
          Calcium Reactor
          3 Tunze 6105's
          Profilux Controller
          ATB Return w/ wavysea
          ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

ok, so all i need is the basic 4? and the zeo filters...are the groteech units the only ones...cause they are $$$

Comment

You can get them for example also form OUinLA (Madison) www.pieceofreef.com. Please contact him direct for details.

G.Alexander

Comment

i have a question regarding skimming. on hte zeo guide, it recommends not to "wet" skim, but i thought you are supposed to skim wet on BB tanks?

Comment

That's a difficult sentence to understand.
                  It means not to adjust the skimmer to skim only black skimmate instead adjust to skim wet.

SteveU
                  “People are very open-minded about new things - as long as they're exactly like the old ones.”
                  ...Charles F. Kettering

Comment

Hi Jonah, the ZEOvit guide states " efficient, strong skimming". "The results are better when the skimmer is adjusted in order not to produce too much concentrated skimmage[wet skimming]" I agree that the wording & therefore, the interpretation can be miscontrued. But not too concentrated a skimmate is "wet skimming". HTH. Bob

Comment

i see, just adjust it so that the skimmate doesnt look black?

also, i will be needing to replace around 2.5L (1L per 100gallons)of zeoliths every 2 months or so right?

how long do the other "ZEO"s (bak, food, start) typically last? as in how many gallons can i treat per bottle if i follow the recommendations given in the guide?

one last question: am i right in saying that zeovit causes corals to color up because (a) it lowers the nutrient content of the water and (b) it also feeds corals bacteria thus eliminating the need for excessive zoox(which shows the corals true colors)

Comment

Jonah, to answer your last question first, yes, you have the concept correct When I first started ZEOvit, my bak/food/start lasted pass the 6mo. mark[450g net]. Now that I'm using very low doses of zeo's, this will extend out to 1yr. If one is keeping SPS, you canot afford not to use ZEOvit with it's rewards. Bob

Comment

just wondering, the guide says i am supposed to do 10% WC every week. what if i do it ever two weeks...or three? will it be bad?

Comment

doesnt the bak only last around 3 mo.?

i cant wait to start!!! LOL, i havnt even used zeo and im already addicted...o well, i will have to wait some more...

Comment

I think its closer to 6months after being opened. Keep it in the fridge.

Good luck mate
                              Josh
                              System: 430ltr SPS ZEOvit system, Balling Method (Growtech), BubbleKing200, Profilux with LAN and Salinity
                              Lighting: Dimmbar 54w T5: D&D and KZ mixture.
                              Flow: Tunze 6060, Iwaki MX70 CL + penductors
                              BlauRiff

"I love the smell of Napalm in the morning"

Comment

Working...
                              X