Alternative To Zeo Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative To Zeo Filter

I've been running Zeo in a filter bag in a high-flow area of my sump for 4 weeks now. I actually had 2 sumps. . .one for my 'fuge (MM and Chaeto) and another to house my ER CS8-1 skimmer.

This set-up was less than ideal, as I the sumps weren't connected and I had to pump water from the skimmer sump into the 'fuge using a separate pump.

Last week I changed both sumps out to a single 40 gallon breeder, getting rid of the mud in the process. I still have space constraints that don't really permit a reactor style Zeo filter so I've been looking for alternatives. I found something that really seems to fit the bill. I went to my local Petsmart looking for ideas, and found the Tetra Whisper 40i internal filter ($26.99). This unit can either be hung on the side of a tank (inside the tank) or completely submerged on the bottom. It holds just about 3/4 liter of Zeolites in a filter bag, which is perfect for my setup. It's rated at 170gph, and the water pumps from the bottom of the unit upward. While the flow rating is higher than recommended, the fact that it's not completely forced through the stones seems like a fair tradeoff.

I've been running the filter 24/7 (changed stones yesterday), and the cyano problem I've been battling for a month is noticeably better. Today is also the first day that I didn't come home to find a green haze all over the inside glass (this was an issue pre-Zeo also).

Hopefully, I've turned the corner with my micro-algae issues. This filter may be an inexpensive option for others to consider as well.

Bob, that's does help, doesn't it? Now obtain one of Madison's new HOT Zeo-filter & you'll improve again from where the Whisper can take you. Bob
    "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Def. go for a MAdison DIY filter
      Nick
      Nick
      180G SPS Mainly
      10 Bulb T5 Starfire
      Calcium Reactor
      3 Tunze 6105's
      Profilux Controller
      ATB Return w/ wavysea
      ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Does anyone have any information on the HOT unit? I've e-mailed Madison but I'm sure he's busy with the new baby.

Comment

i think theres pic somewhere in here
          Nick
          Nick
          180G SPS Mainly
          10 Bulb T5 Starfire
          Calcium Reactor
          3 Tunze 6105's
          Profilux Controller
          ATB Return w/ wavysea
          ATB M External Skimmer

Comment