sick SPS - what can be done ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sick SPS - what can be done ?

I have 2 SPS frags that have just never done well in my tank, for some unknown reason. 1 is a Milli that I recently got, it has always had polyps showing but now the skin is starting to come off in places (very slowly), I can still see polyps so I just don't get it. another guy I've had for a while has just never done well, and while he too has always had some polyps out he has never really looked that healthy. so, will they ever recover or are they just sick and going to die no matter what ?

thanks,
    rich.

Hi Rich, A. millipora are very hardy once adapted but generally they do not ship well, IME. Did you obtain it at the LFS or thru the mail? For whatever reason, yellow milli's have never done well for me but blues, greens,& reds do. Another thing, some corals just don't do well in aquaria, while all others adapt well. If 98% of your corals are fine with a fine, thin bacterial film on the panes, you are not using excess zeo-dosages. Bob
    "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

please check all your water paramaters, CA, Mg, SG, Alk, etc. There could be a problem with your water levels. When a coral rtn's it could be for many reasons.

Comment

triple checked all my water parameters and they are inline with the guide (alk 7.0). this isn't something that just started, these corals have just never looked really happy in the tank.

Whats strange is one of the sickly SPS I received with some other stuff from a guy in Chicago (mailed), everything else in the shipment has done really well, just this one stag has never grown, he recently started to STN and I fragged him and threw the base into the shade at the back of the tank. Putting it into the shade seemed to stop the STN, but this guy has just never done well. I've tried him in a few different spots with different light and current, but no luck, he continues to just slowly fade away. the corals all around him continue to grow and be healthy so I'm at a loss to explain why... yeah Bob, the other one is a yellow milli, but I picked it up locally a month or two ago.

current dosing:
        2 drops start in the morning
        2 drops start at night
        1 drop HCAA at night
        1 drop food EOD
        1 drop bak EOD

thanks,
        rich

Comment

One other thought, Rich, is I've had improved coral p-e when my KH is above 7.5-8. At 7, my corals have a "stressed" appearance. Bob

Comment

thanks Bob, I just tested alk and it was 7, so I bumped it with some baking/washing soda, I'll try bringing it closer to 8 over the next couple of days..

I still wonder why/how they are getting sick, and if there is anything that can be done to nurse them back to health. has anyone done antibiotic baths or stuff like that in an effort to revive near dead SPS ?

thanks,
            rich.

Comment

I finally found the problem: acro eating flatworms.. :-(

Comment

bleaching problem

Hi there people!

I am a new ZEOvit user for 6 weeks now. Formally , i had to say that I respected by the book the ZEOvit system instructions found i Korallen-Zucht.de.
                But, i have to complain about bleaching of some SPS .Some others are wealthy and begin tou get full coloured

I tried to find an answer in the others parameters of the tank : no clue .

The only thing i can say is that, before using the ZEOvit system i had close to 1 mg/l of PO4 .Actually, those Po4 has disapeared (yes!)
                Is this a beginning of an answer? Maybe a sudden and rude low level of nutriments?

The corals were loosing their "skin" in one night or in two or three days.The bleaching began by the base of the animals.

Comment

acro eating flatworms.. Damn seems like a lot of people are getting these lately.. Good luck Rich getting rid of these, seems its a lot of work...

Comment

Rich, can you take some pics of these????

Comment

sorry to hear that bro that sux
                      Nick
                      Nick
                      180G SPS Mainly
                      10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                      Calcium Reactor
                      3 Tunze 6105's
                      Profilux Controller
                      ATB Return w/ wavysea
                      ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Hi Laurent, basal tissue loss can be due to a numbers of factors: too low a KH[<6], low Ca level[<400], excess dosage of the supplements[elements], excess of Bak or Food7, too high a salinity[>35ppt], changing parameters too quickly, too low a current, too rapid a increase in water temperature. The parameters[Ca/Mg/KH/salinity] must be stable, & in line with NSW levels. If you could complete the sticky questionnaire at the top of this form "tell us about your tank", we can help you prevent further loss of your corals. Bob

Comment

Hey Bob funny thing i was just testing my water s ALK and it was 4.2 DKH god know show long its been this way but nothing bad to my sps all look fine im bumpin it up wit baking soda now but i would think that low things would be goin crazy
                          Nick
                          Nick
                          180G SPS Mainly
                          10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                          Calcium Reactor
                          3 Tunze 6105's
                          Profilux Controller
                          ATB Return w/ wavysea
                          ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Hi Nick, unforunately, TN may still result from low KH, some time [2wks.] from now. Bob

Comment

ill keep an eye on things but i have had it happen before and didnt have any problems
                              nick
                              Nick
                              180G SPS Mainly
                              10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                              Calcium Reactor
                              3 Tunze 6105's
                              Profilux Controller
                              ATB Return w/ wavysea
                              ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Working...
                              X