What is purple monster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is purple monster?

I heard purple monster is popular in US.

What is PM? (not private message )

and I wanna know Tort,bonsai,Tyree xxx and know the each charateristic.

Thanks in advance~

www.spsholic.com

It is a stupid name for a overpriced slow growing purple coral. Basically, IMO.
    Proud owner of an Elegance Coral "that lived". (It is thriving whith long tentacle tips...purchased in January 2005.) It has white tentacle tips, I beleive this has something to do with ones that will typically live due to the collection site.

Comment

Most people agree that the orginal Purple Monster is a unique color morph of either Acropora lokani, or Acropora valida. It looks very much like the coral in <a href="http://66.246.56.221/%7Ezeovit/forums/showthread.php?t=697">this</a> thread, only is is deep rich purple in color (ideally) with stark WHITE polyps. It has a unique "christmas" tree growth form...

It has extremely small polyps for an Acropora, and is delicate, and normally grows very slowly, which is why frags are tiny and expensive here in the US. It was imported into the US in the mid 1990's I believe, from the Solomon Islands and not since; collectors have tried to find it in the wild and cannot—it is rare even in nature...! There is another PM, "Eddies", or the "Fiji", Purple Monster that is similair, but duller in color and with a different growth pattern.
      Last edited by Todd March; 02-25-2005, 07:02 PM.
      Rimless Starfire 85g SPS
      (36" x 26" x 21")
      ATI Powermodule 10 x 39W
      ATB Small Cone
      RK2
      Vortech MP40W
      6025 Stream modded
      Vertex Zeo Reactor
      Balling

Comment

Purple Bonsai is an unknown Acropora species (at least I've never heard anyone try to ID it) that has been around for a few years...? It grows very low, and likes to spread out, making a large base, before attempting to grow up, unlike most other Acros...

It is a great deep purple color, with bright green polyps, although on some specimens the polyps can be white as well, particularily at the tips...

You can find some great pictures of it <a href="http://www.garf.org/10003.html">here</a>. These pictures are from GARF here in America, who made this coral popular/famous...
        Rimless Starfire 85g SPS
        (36" x 26" x 21")
        ATI Powermodule 10 x 39W
        ATB Small Cone
        RK2
        Vortech MP40W
        6025 Stream modded
        Vertex Zeo Reactor
        Balling

Comment

This is the best pic of the PM i have seen and its George's:

Comment

Here's my little frag.. finally taking off.

Comment

Niced pic, Edward... You can really see the unique X-mas tree growth formation very well in George's pic (his A. jacqueline (?) is gorgeous as well!)...
              Rimless Starfire 85g SPS
              (36" x 26" x 21")
              ATI Powermodule 10 x 39W
              ATB Small Cone
              RK2
              Vortech MP40W
              6025 Stream modded
              Vertex Zeo Reactor
              Balling

Comment

I thought the purple monster looked like a lokani...nothing like the pics invincible posted??? Is there 2 "Purple monsters" going around?? I am confused.

Are we talking about the garf purple monster...or the lokani-like purple monster???
                Proud owner of an Elegance Coral "that lived". (It is thriving whith long tentacle tips...purchased in January 2005.) It has white tentacle tips, I beleive this has something to do with ones that will typically live due to the collection site.

Comment

the pics he posted are the TRUE purple monster from Steve Tryee.

Georfge is the guy who makes the GEO stuff, he got the coral from Steve Tryee i belive. its one of the nicest around.

Nick
                  275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

You guys are right. The true purple monster is like the true blue oregon tort. There will be imitations out there, but you can see the difference in the corals compared to other look alikes. As you can see, the true PM is not a valida.. its still unidentified just like the Oregon tort (its not a tort).

Comment

the one in the middle

[email protected]

Comment

my friend has a frag of the PM and it looks like invincibles it was from tyree thats the original
                        Nick
                        Nick
                        180G SPS Mainly
                        10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                        Calcium Reactor
                        3 Tunze 6105's
                        Profilux Controller
                        ATB Return w/ wavysea
                        ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Originally posted by golfish
                          the one in the middle

I have that PM as well as the OG. Growing great too!

www.zeovitusa.com

Comment

Adam I think your thinking of the "Larry Jackson Purple tipped Monster"
                            Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Not sure yet.....Build Thread to come!

Comment

It also looks different in George's picture because it's photographed from above...

That is the magic of PM—it truly is a unique coral...!
                              Rimless Starfire 85g SPS
                              (36" x 26" x 21")
                              ATI Powermodule 10 x 39W
                              ATB Small Cone
                              RK2
                              Vortech MP40W
                              6025 Stream modded
                              Vertex Zeo Reactor
                              Balling

Comment

Working...
                              X