Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cyno?

Greetings All,

I have been having a problem with cyno for the last couple of months. I have stopped dosing AAHC for 21 days to see if this corrects itself and it didn't. Currently I have stopped dosing start to see if this will correct the problem. I am in a 7 day off period so far and still no reduction in the cyno.

Current dosing is as follows:

'bac 4 drops every 3 days
    'food 4 drops every 3 days
    'start was 5ml then 2ml for the last 30 days
    'AAHC 2 drops daily. Reduced from 4 drops daily 30 days ago
    'Io/Po 4 drops daily. Just started dosing 7 days ago.
    Carbon changed out the beginning of every month - 1/2 cup
    ZeoVit changed out every 42 days. Due to change in 7 days.
    I have been dosing since July 29th - 210 days so far.

The only times that I have had cyno is when I did not have enough flow. I am running 2 Streams 6100's and a T-4 as my return pump. I have a 125 gallon tank. I feel that I have enough flow.

What do ya'll think my next step is?

Gordon
    I am out there, and loving every minute of it!

Out of the closet, that is. The Zeo closet.

hi gordon,
    I think one problem my be your dose of ZEOstart:

Thomas writes, that you should dose 0,5 - 1ml per 250 gallons depending on nutrient conditions. You wrote, you have a 125 gallon tank and you dose 5ml then 2ml for the last 30 days. Thats not good!!! So I think you give the cyano permanent food! I think its better you stop with ZEOstart for a while during cyanos are gone.

robert
    300 x 90 x 70
    http//www.korallenzucht.at/oshop

Comment

Hi Robert,

When I placed my last order for supplies, I saw that they lowered the amount of start to be dosed.

Comment

Actually my dosages have been 0.5ml and 0.2ml. Not 10 times what I should of been dosing. My error here on the thread.

Gordon

Comment

Hi Gordon, can you give us your present parameters/nutrient levels & coral appearances, thnx. Bob
          "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Perameters:
            6.9-7.1dKh
            430 calcium
            1280 magnesium
            0 nitrate
            0 phosphate

Corals look great. Very good coloration and polyp extension. Excelent polyp extension at night.

The only thing that isn't good is the cyno. If I let it go 4 or 5 days without syphoning it out, it gets to be a couple of inches long. I thought about throwing in a bag of chemi-pure. I have used that in the past with cyno (this was years and years ago). Bob, what is the next approach?

Gordon

Comment

Gordon, thnx. for your info, which looks to be inline, as does your corals I'd like you to recheck your zeo-filter flow--it should be at a flow rate of 125gph. You can estimate this very closely by checking the time it takes to fill a 1g container from the filter--it should be ~29 sec. This is very important so as to coordinate your zeo-doses & nutrient extraction. I would hold all zeo-supplements, ie, AAHC, PIF, etc. As Robert has mentioned, hold Start for the next two wks. but continue to dose Bak/Food as above. If there is no improvement in the red algae at that time, resume Start at .5ml 2x's/day with the same quantities of bak/food. Keep us posted. Bob

Comment

My ZeoVit filter is a 14" long piece of 4" ABS sewer pipe (clean of course ) With a 1/4" acrylic plate drilled with 100 1/8" holes and 1/2" PVC pipe as the plunger. This is driven by a MaxiJet 1200 powerhead. The pump is rated at 295gph. I tried a MaxiJet 900 and there wasn't enough power to push water through the filter so I put the 1200 back in place. The water needs to go through a litre of material to exit out of the top of the filter.

I will continue to hold off on adding 'start for another week to see if this is the culprit.

Bob, any thought on using Chemi-Pure with zeoVit?

Comment

Hi Gordon, I've never used that product, but, I think Edward did with ZEOvit & had positive results. Maybe PM him on that, if he doesn't jump in here. Bob

Comment

[Thomas writes, that you should dose 0,5 - 1ml per 250 gallons depending on nutrient conditions]
                    Little confused here can you help me I thought it is 1ml every 100g every second day is that right?
                    Bob you mentioned to me in a thread on reef central that I should dose 1.5 ml twice a day for the first 2 weeks on a 100 gallon tank?

Not sure if I am doing this right now?

Please can you double check your recommendations on :

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=503553

Please can you clarify?

Once again thank you so much for all the help!!!!

Comment

hi funky,

thomas writes:
                      Amount to be used in tanks with high nutrient load and in tanks using ZEOvit for the first time:
                      Dose 1ml per 100g volume daily over a period of 2 weeks, subsequently, dose 1ml per 200g daily.

Amount to be used in tanks, which are nutrient poor and running stable with ZEOvit :
                      Dose continuously 0,5 – 1ml per 250g daily depending on nutrient conditions.

so, if you have a new tank and you start with ZEOvit, so you are right with you dose.

robert
                      300 x 90 x 70
                      http//www.korallenzucht.at/oshop

Comment

I have recently changed my set up, to a zeovit system it does not have a huge nutrient load, but the water is far from being nutrient poor.

So according to Bob's recommendations I am dosing zeostart 1.5 ml twice a day, and reading all of this it seems like it could be a little high: it means that in a day I am dosing 3ml of Zeostart in total on a 100 gallon system for the first 2 weeks?

It this right?

Thanks
                        Last edited by Funkyskunk; 02-26-2005, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Hi Christiaan, the zeo-dosages are dependent on one's nutrient level, age of the tank/LR, bacterial population, & coral appearances. As Robert mentioned, the guide recommends different quantities for different situations. Did you have a algae problem? Test + on Salifert's? Coral color dark? Parameter levels? I'm sorry, but I can not remember your tank's history. How long now have you used ZEOvit? What's your present dosage of the basic four? Are you cycling the zeolites? Christiaan, if you can answer these, maybe that will refresh my recollection on my recommendations. Thnx. Bob

Comment

yes, ive used chemi clean and havent seen cyano since. I had a lot because I took out a lot of my sand. People said to wait it out and it will go away and it just kept getting worse. ordered chemi clean and next day it was gone for good. no livestock losses.

Comment

I put in two bags at 3:00pm and I can't wait for tomorrow. I will keep the thread posted on my progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X