Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Very pale acropora delswasi(spelled wrong)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very pale acropora delswasi(spelled wrong)

About...well lets say sometime around January 1-8 I got a Acropora delswasi spelled wrong but you know what I mean..from fragfarmer. It was in good condition and had huge polyps and light pink tips and nice green branches...a BEUATY. I paid mabe $90 for it, BUT, i got it before I knew that my temp was getting way to high(90-92 degrees farenhiet). Anyway it started to go DOWNhill..fast, STNing on me. Half of it died. I also fraged the life out of it. Then the STN stopped after I fixed the temp problem. Now 4 or 7 weeks or so later it is still alive...BARELY. It is EXTREMELY pale with some slight algae growing on the very far gone places on the branches. I just got new 250w 10k XM bulbs(they are nice, btw). I had 175w 20k hamiltons. it is half way up in the tank with nearly direct lighting from the XM. I also have 2 VHO atentics.

It is getting paler and paler..I do run carbon, I dont run zeo. It is the only acro in the tank doing not so good, all others are fine and growing.

I really dont want to lose it. I run BB and do weekly 10g. water changes onmy tank(75 gallons). Should I move it furthur down to the bottom of the tank...or leave it where it is??

I cant give you tank paremiters...salt is 1.023 and temp is around 80-81 degrees farenheit.

What should I do?? I glued the frags I took of of it back on it and the might have encrusted a microscopic bit...Its pale pale cream color. it only has 2 polyps barely extended past the corralite.

they are greenish(the polpys extended)

I dont run zeo...help!!!
    Proud owner of an Elegance Coral "that lived". (It is thriving whith long tentacle tips...purchased in January 2005.) It has white tentacle tips, I beleive this has something to do with ones that will typically live due to the collection site.

well adam- we need your water parameters to help you, thats the one thing we defeintly need here if you cant give them to us, have your LFS test your water then report back or buy some test kits!

they are ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS

also i would say try to raise your SG to 1.025 or arroudnt here 1.023 is low BUT DO IT SLOWLY i mean very slowly! i woudl double check temp too, but other than that its a crap shoot without water parameters and raise your SG slowly to 1.025 or 1.024 most people shy away from running that low SG we are shoting for natural salt water levels so 1.025 is best IMO.

other than that we need your water parameters to help

Nick
    275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

also you may be blasting them with new light! did you aclimate them slowly like we said? or did you just throw them on there?

even if you raised them up you should not run them the full lighting period. you still need ot cut it down.

that may be your problem right there how are the other corals reacting to the new light?

Nick
      275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

also adam another helpful hint, join a local board, or try some other boards other than RC obviously, if you want PM me and i can help you look for more boards to join other than this board. this will help you becasue these other boards people generally do not use zeovite like you and can help you with general problems like this one.

PM me and i will point you in the right direction i belong to a couple of other boards where the people are great and can help you out.

Nick

Comment

Adam,sounds like you have had a "Bob-event" Unforunately, temp swings to that degree are often fatal to Acropora. Really, there's not much that can be done at this point & you are lucky the other Acroporas have not met a similar fate. To keep Acropora long-lived, takes a considerable amount of care with keeping all tank parameters inline & stable. Be sure to have test kits for the following: Ca/Mg/KH & test these frequently to ensure this stability of your tank waters. Bob
          "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Adam, sorry to hear of the news. Going from 20K to 10K is a major shift in intensity plus the upgrade in wattage. Bali does really good without a lot of light. In fact a majority of my Acro do good 25" below a 14K 250 w DE. Hope it recovers, the Desalwi is the exact same coral as the well known "Freaky Crayola Table" Eric

www.zeovitusa.com

Comment

Originally posted by Adam

I cant give you tank paremiters...salt is 1.023 and temp is around 80-81 degrees farenheit.
              I dont run zeo...help!!! <!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:17.25pt; height:11.25pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///COCUME~1ScottLOCALS~1Tempmsohtml1\01clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://66.246.56.221/%7Ezeovit/forums/images/smilies/help.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]--><!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shape id="_x0000_i1026" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:17.25pt;height:11.25pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///COCUME~1ScottLOCALS~1Tempmsohtml1\01clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://66.246.56.221/%7Ezeovit/forums/images/smilies/help.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]--><!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shape id="_x0000_i1027" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:17.25pt;height:11.25pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///COCUME~1ScottLOCALS~1Tempmsohtml1\01clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://66.246.56.221/%7Ezeovit/forums/images/smilies/help.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]-->
              First I will say I keep my tank around 75ish or so (I don’t have a heater in my tank, that is on a system over 600 gallons, I don’t recommend this to anyone, but it has worked for me, I run 6 250 DE and 4 VHO so by the time the tank cools down the lights kick back on), I keep it on the lower end, and have lost ZERO corals that have survived shipping to me. I use to keep it 79-80 and tended to lose a few here and there, not saying that was the problem but since I have lowered it I have noticed better colors, stronger growth. Get your salt up to 1.025-1.026ish.. Only wholesalers keep there salt that low (1.021-1.023), and they do it to keep parasites from growing.

*Get on ZEO is last opinion for you. You will notice better quality of water, colors of corals, growth will be better

Scott

*this is my personal opinion and has nothing to do with zeovit.com all things I say are personal opinions. Please take the info I give as that.

Comment

I dont think it is going to make it...:-(

It is just tooo pale...all my other corals are doing really good....they keep gaining more color every day and more growth every day. I really like BB and the 250w 10k XM SE's are just great...why did I ever have 175's...waste of electric...the 250's are GREAT!!!
                Proud owner of an Elegance Coral "that lived". (It is thriving whith long tentacle tips...purchased in January 2005.) It has white tentacle tips, I beleive this has something to do with ones that will typically live due to the collection site.

Comment

In a meager attempt to hopefully save it, I moved it where it got less light. I think that now the actual problem was that I was blasting it with too much light, so it started to go down hill. I really hope it doesnt die...it was my absolue all time super favorite coral. I mean after it arrived...all my other corals looked drab compared to it...it had dark green branches with light brown corralites with purple tips = a STUNNING coral. I really hope it lives...if not the delswasi will be on the top of my list, before the soli or efflo or anything like that....mabe some miracle will occur and it will live...I hope.

Comment

Ok, it is not a Acropora delswasi, it is a Acropora plana.

Anyways, it is still alive barely. I am amazed it is still alive

on one very pale cream branch, it has tiny polyps. They are mabe 1/4 the size of a pen head. Now THAT is small.

Anyhow, I moved it up a little, it seems to be barely holding on. I do, though, think that it might live, but the chances are very, very, very slim. My dad keeps asking me why I dont throw the coral out, and I tell him I am not going to throw it out untill it is white and is covered in corraline algae.(But if it is covered in corraline, it would be purple, wouldnt it?) But now it is pale pale cream with some tiny polpys, so I will keep it. I will keep ya all updated.

Comment

hey adam i had a sps that fell into some rocks it was WHITE i let it be and in 3 months itis a Beautiful dark Green w/purple tips and groeing g8
                      Nick
                      Nick
                      180G SPS Mainly
                      10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                      Calcium Reactor
                      3 Tunze 6105's
                      Profilux Controller
                      ATB Return w/ wavysea
                      ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

hrmmm....yeah this one seems to be recovering very, very slowly but I do think that is is getting there....time will tell...

Comment

be patient jusy like everything else in this hobby
                          Nick
                          Nick
                          180G SPS Mainly
                          10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                          Calcium Reactor
                          3 Tunze 6105's
                          Profilux Controller
                          ATB Return w/ wavysea
                          ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Update: The polyps are coming back! Now on one branch, the polpys are pinhead sized, some bigger(!), and polyps are coming back on other branches too! It is still cream colored, though. I guess when it gains all its polyp size back, it will start to turn light green with the pink tips it used to have.

Dreams do come true!!!!

Comment

good 4 u
                              Nick
                              180G SPS Mainly
                              10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                              Calcium Reactor
                              3 Tunze 6105's
                              Profilux Controller
                              ATB Return w/ wavysea
                              ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Working...