Are sponges worth getting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are sponges worth getting?

I have seen some really nice Sponges locally and am wanting to try some out but I have never experienced in caring for a sponge. The ones I have seen are really nice blue with swirls and so on. Has anyone had any experience with sponges? I know they are non photosynthetic, but wasnt sure if I would be wasting my $$ if they die in a couple of months.

One of the ones I saw looked like this one but with a powder blue color.

Comment

I think they thrive on plankton etc etc.. would be very hard for them to survive in nutrient-free environments I think.. The blue sponges have been known to slowly die and turn white/translucent in color. Not worth the trouble IMHO

I has an orange sponge pretty much like the pic and it survies about 3-4 months. It was slowly disintegrating tho.
      Farish

Setup: 250G System, ATI Powermodul 10x80w T5s, 4x6100 Tunze Streams & 7095 MultiController, Deltec PF1000 CR, Deltec AP902 Skimmer, IKS, Zeovit, Artica 1Hp Chiller

Comment

Sponges

Most of the sponges for sale slowly go away over a period of months from lack of proper food. The only purchased sponge I have had long term sucess with is the blue sponge imported from Indonesia. It is partially photosynthetic and is able not only survive but grow in reeftanks.

Comment

Thanks Frink. It is said that if you stir the sand, you can feed your sponge.. but with that being said, I dotn need to as I can just feed them with the pumping of the stones on ZEOvit. I guess it wouldnt hurt to try and see what I can get out of them. They also said not to expose them to air.

Comment

I had a beautiful blue multi-conical sponge for months in between Imperator Forgot about that--the sponge lasted about 12hrs Bob
            "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Well the blue one i wanted was sold within 24 hrs... so I got another one instead just to see how it will do. I didnt realize how cheap they were. It was about $18. I placed it under a rock with MINIMAL light/No light.

Comment

I have one and have had it for almost a year. At first I kept the sponge/rock on the bottom and saw some resession. I raised it up about 6" and it has been doing well. I was looking at a picture that I took last year and it has almost doubled. Not bad on growth but it adds quite a bit of color to the tank.

Gordon
                I am out there, and loving every minute of it!

Out of the closet, that is. The Zeo closet.

Comment

Gordon, how much light is your sponge taking?

Comment

Edward, do you have a picture of your sponge?

Comment

My sponge is located abot 12" below the water and about 6" off center from a PFO mini pendant and an Aquaconnect 250 DE bulb. Here are the pictures. I hope that they show, the last ones I posted took almost a day to show up.

April 2004:

February 2005:

Gordon

Comment

Stop messing around w/ your tank and take some pics. Put down the Zeospur 2 for one minute. I want to see what your sponge looks like.

Hurry up

Comment

OMG Gordon, that sponge is a killer. Do you need lots of light for it to keep it's blue color? How about growth?

Comment

April 2004 info - Nikon CoolPix 775 and Hamilton 14K DE bulb VHO actinincs. Color balance- iffy at best.

February 2005 - Nikon D70 with Nikon 60mm Micro lense. Aquaconnect 250 watt DE bulb, without actinics. Color balance - Automatic.

Comment

WOW!! That is nice! Great job gordon! That sponge is identical to the one i saw yesterday but someone bought it but it was light like the first old pic you showed. Wish I would of bought it yesterday. Oh well.. I have a different looking sponge.. it has purple swirls with a translucent body. I would of taken pics today but I dont have my camera. Its at work! I will get them soon. I always thought that they would do better in shaded areas.. but now that you posted yours doing good under a 14K, Im rethinking of the location of mine. Do you spot feed yours Gordon?

Comment

Working...
                              X