Color Temp. in relation to SPS health

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color Temp. in relation to SPS health

OK, I made it to where I have 250w MH on my tank instead of 175 w..this is on my 75 gallon...anywhay to the question

Right now I have really yellow 42k I think 250w MH bulbs...will the acros be ok under this low of k rating or do I need to go to 10k like intentionally planned...I am guessing these bulbs will provide quick growth???(the 42k ones)

thanks
    Proud owner of an Elegance Coral "that lived". (It is thriving whith long tentacle tips...purchased in January 2005.) It has white tentacle tips, I beleive this has something to do with ones that will typically live due to the collection site.

i have never heard of 42K bulbs?

also make sure you check your temp so that hole 90 thing does NOT happen again! these 250w MHs will put out ALOPT more heat so beware!

i would go with 10k since you have supplemtation

Nick
    275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

it is not generally an aquarium bulb...the lowest I have seen is 55k these are 42k I beleive...anyone else?
      Proud owner of an Elegance Coral "that lived". (It is thriving whith long tentacle tips...purchased in January 2005.) It has white tentacle tips, I beleive this has something to do with ones that will typically live due to the collection site.

Comment

Adam- i would stick with either 10k, 20k, or 14k, or 13k these are the ones used all people in the SPS game.

i would personally not put that 42k on your tank, do you haev a brand name?

which ballast are you using?

look at those links provided by Eric about Sanjays lighting experiments, then pick your bulb you want.

Its worth the read even if you dont like to read, YOU NEED TO READ THIS!

then decide, personally i would ditch the 42k or whatever and stick to something more convential.

Nick
        275 Gallon Envision Acrylics Tank, 70 gallon sump, BK 300 internal, Zeovit, 5 sequence darts (1 on a oceansmotions 4-way), medusa dual controller, 2 ebo jaer 250w heaters, 1/2 hp JBJ comercial chiller, 4 RO IIIs w/14k hamilitons, 4 VHOs super actinic, deltec pf500 Ca Rx, 3 reef ceramic pillar, and 1 reef ceramic mini-reef, 5 ceramic closed loop intake screen covers, with 50ish pounds of LR

Comment

6500k is the lowest i would go but it looks like crap
          Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Not sure yet.....Build Thread to come!

Comment

prob 4500k grow bulbs.. I would switch them out aswell for the fact these bulbs have to look pretty yellow. Poeple do run low kelvin bulbs, Iwasaki 6500K's.. You will see you best growth from these bulbs cause of the higher Par.. A good xm 10 with actinic though will give you nice results for color and growth.. If you like a little more blue maybe try a 14K with the actinics.. I myself prefer the xm 20K....

Comment

I dont think they are plant bulbs...they are Mercury Vapor Bulbs...if that helps any

Comment

Mercury vapor.. Hmm I am not sure I would be using them at all.. Maybe they are fine but maybe they are not, def get some REAL reef lights Adam... You have to much time and money invested to run lights over your reef that are not meant for reef keeping.. Not trying to sound mean but I would def get some bulbs asap. What ballast do you have ready for your 250's?

Comment

I will be ordering the MX 10k's immediately....will have to get back to you on the ballast.

Comment

i have xm10k on my tank for a week now and AMAING growth since i out them on i had xm 20k before major major diffrence
                    Nick
                    Nick
                    180G SPS Mainly
                    10 Bulb T5 Starfire
                    Calcium Reactor
                    3 Tunze 6105's
                    Profilux Controller
                    ATB Return w/ wavysea
                    ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Adam before ordering xm10k make sure that the ballasts are compatible
                      Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Not sure yet.....Build Thread to come!

Comment

Yes still waiting for the ballasts info aswell...

Comment

I will get the ballast info sometime before saturday!

(mebe even today I have to just look at the thing)

Comment

Greetings All !

...they are Mercury Vapor Bulbs...
                            "Forms of lighting that are not recommended for reef tanks include some mercury vapour and sodium vapour lights, as well as HQL and HQI-NDL lighting which have color temperatures (4300K) and spectrums that aren't ideal. These lights can be used successfully for reef aquariums provided UV emissions are blocked and temperature is managed. With 4300K light, the color of the animals and appearance of the tank is not as good as with a daylight spectrum, but most corals will still grow as long as they receive bright light."
                            - The Reef Aquarium (Volume 1). J. Charles Delbeek & Julian Sprung (1994).
                            Chapter 6, Lighting the Reef Aquarium, p. 189.

And yet, things change ... notice that Aquatic Ecosystems is now marketing High Pressure Sodium (HPS) lighting as options with metal halide systems.

Trying to save money? Consider the cost of rebuilding the homestead after it burns to the ground because of an inappropriate ballast-wiring-fixture-bulb configuration.

Just a thought ...
                            "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
                            Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

i heard alot of xm bulb giving problem after running for a few month...

or even xm bulb cant even work for some ballast.. that is the reason that stop me going for xm bulb...
                              ---------------------------
                              180g 3 side Low Iron Glass, Lighting: ATI Power Module 10 x 80W KZ Coral Light (awiting for to mix with fiji purple), Return Pump: Red Dragon 12m3, Tunze WaveMaker:1x 6200, 3 x 6100 and 1 x 6060 + Multicontroller 7095, Bubble King 300 Internal, Deltec - PF 601S, Arctica Chiller 1/2HP, I~Zeo Reactor IZ-618

BK 300 in actionhttp://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v5...IDEO_00003.flv

Comment

Working...
                              X