Another Red Algae Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Red Algae Problem

I just completed my second week of ZEO, and have experienced an outbreak of red turf algae.

My filtration consists of a refugium containing Miracle Mud and Chaetomorpha along with a ER CS8-1 (run as wet as possible. . .I have to clean the collection cup every 2-3 days). My total system volume is around 80 gallons.

Prior to beginning ZEO, I also ran Polyfilters and Bio-Chemzorb. I removed these from my system about 1 week before beginning ZEO, and noticed a single small patch of red turf developing. This one patch has now become a 1/2 dozen or so patches and it's spread to some of my live-rock.

My ZEO dosing for the first 2 weeks was 2ml start, and 2 drops BAK/Food daily with 1/2 liter of stones and 3/4 cup carbon. The stones are in a filter bag in my sump, and the overflow from the 'fuge run right over them. Based on Bob's original recommendations, weeks 2-4 call for BAK/Food twice a week and 1ml of start split into 2 daily doses.

I've got to admit that I'm disappointed in my results. . .the proliferation of algae is a step backward in my opinion.

On a positive note, my corals do seem to look healthier. My LPS have never looked better and the few SPS I have show more polyp extension and color. My anemones and fish are also very healthy looking.

I rarely check my organics as they've been undetectable forever, but just for kicks I checked them tonight (all Salifert):

NO2 - 0
    NO3 < .2
    PO4 - 0

My other parameters are:

Alk - 7.7 dKH
    Salinity 1.026 (bringing it down slowly)
    Ca - 460
    Mg - 1320
    PH - 8.19
    Temp - 78

I do weekly 4 gallon (the size of my bucket) water changes using Oceanic or Tropic Marin, and feed a very small amount each day (I have 10 fish). The anemones get fed twice a week. All water is replaced by RO/DI which tests just fine.

What can I do about the algae?

Hi Rob, be patient, your corals have never looked better, & your dosing is fine. Did you recently begin Oceanic salt? Did you add any new livestock & how much if you did? Did you change your fish-feeding quantities or change your photoperiod? Another zeouser experienced similar problems with use of passive zeolite filtration which when he switched to a dedicated zeolite filter, resulted in his red algae disappearing Bob
    "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Thanks Bob.

Nothing's changed other than a reduction in my feeding routine. I've been using Oceanic for months without a problem (I know others have experienced algae issues).

I have been thinking about a dedicated ZEO filter but I don't have room in my sump right now. I'm replacing it with a 40 gal breeder this weekend. I'll get rid of the MM but keep the Chaeto. . .it will also give me more space for equipment.

Just a little frustrated right now. . .

Bob

Comment

Yea, Rob, reef-keeping is serendipity The key is to stay the course, no matter which method one uses in reefing. The zeo-filter improve the method immensely, resulting in lower nutrients & more effective utilization of the zeo-components Bob
        "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

And if you really get to the point that you cannot take the turf algae any longer, buy yourself some astrea snails, they have done a very good job for me........

If it is the red turf, it can get out of hand pretty easily......

Good luck, John
          IF IT IS WORTH DOING, TAKE YOUR TIME AND DO IT RIGHT..........

Comment

Working...
          X