Weird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird

I dont know whats up im seeing g8 growth in my frags but heres the weird part of it .......I do 5-10g WC a week w/ oceanic last week i didnt do one i was too busy so yesterday i did some test on the water my cal was at 500 my mag was at 1470 and my alk 8 i dont get how nothing gotten depleted i am "NOT" supplementing anything in my tank other then the Zeo stuff also i use salifert test kits
    Nick
    Nick
    180G SPS Mainly
    10 Bulb T5 Starfire
    Calcium Reactor
    3 Tunze 6105's
    Profilux Controller
    ATB Return w/ wavysea
    ATB M External Skimmer

If you dont have full size colonies and walls full of coralline algae who depend on Ca for growth, then this would be normal IMO.

Comment

o ok i wasnt sure i havent missed a weekly WC in 2 years i thought also the growth would suck up alot also
      Nick
      Nick
      180G SPS Mainly
      10 Bulb T5 Starfire
      Calcium Reactor
      3 Tunze 6105's
      Profilux Controller
      ATB Return w/ wavysea
      ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Nick, I was using all Oceanic as well... Could never get my Ca under 490-500, and didn't use my Ca reactor for over a month. Also had to supplement ALK very regularily...

I switched to 50/50 Oceanic/Instant Ocean and Ca and ALK feel much more into place. But I now have residue at the bottom of the mixing container however (after mixing with a powerhead for 3 days!), something Oceanic never did.

I think Oceanic has way too much Ca... I have seen posts on RC that when mixed to 1.025, the Ca is WAY over 500ppm...!
        Rimless Starfire 85g SPS
        (36" x 26" x 21")
        ATI Powermodule 10 x 39W
        ATB Small Cone
        RK2
        Vortech MP40W
        6025 Stream modded
        Vertex Zeo Reactor
        Balling

Comment

yeah i know i use baking soda to get my Alk up but i love not dosing anything what is the big deal having cal at 500 or is there not any
          Nick
          Nick
          180G SPS Mainly
          10 Bulb T5 Starfire
          Calcium Reactor
          3 Tunze 6105's
          Profilux Controller
          ATB Return w/ wavysea
          ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

It doesn't seem to be big deal for many, Nick, but rememer that Ca and ALK have a marriage, and Mg is thier bastard child—they are all related and if one gets too high, the others can be affected. With such high Ca levels, you're REALLY going to have to monitor ALK, which is seems you are doing well already.

Also, the end goal of ZEOvit is to obtain NSW conditions, and most NSW tests in the 350-400ppm range for Ca, which is nowhere near 500ppm...

Also, are you baking the bakign soda first? I remember reading on RC, that Randy Holmes Farley really recommends this rather than just using it out of the box. You might want to check it out and research over on RC...?
            Rimless Starfire 85g SPS
            (36" x 26" x 21")
            ATI Powermodule 10 x 39W
            ATB Small Cone
            RK2
            Vortech MP40W
            6025 Stream modded
            Vertex Zeo Reactor
            Balling

Comment

i read that thank you its called washing soda at that point i believe and that is to affect the PH as well if i remmeber correct also my mag is @ 1470 and my alk 8
              Nick
              Nick
              180G SPS Mainly
              10 Bulb T5 Starfire
              Calcium Reactor
              3 Tunze 6105's
              Profilux Controller
              ATB Return w/ wavysea
              ATB M External Skimmer

Comment

Sounds like everything is in line for you, Nick, I wouldn't worry then...

When Oceanic had my Ca at 500ppm, my Mg was off the map at 1600ppm or above...!

Do you remember why they recommended baking the baking soda first? I seem to remember Farley saying something that sounded convincing...?
                Rimless Starfire 85g SPS
                (36" x 26" x 21")
                ATI Powermodule 10 x 39W
                ATB Small Cone
                RK2
                Vortech MP40W
                6025 Stream modded
                Vertex Zeo Reactor
                Balling

Comment

Working...
                X