Coral tissue is extremly thin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coral tissue is extremly thin

Okay guys I changed out the Zeoliths for the second time. About 2 wks ago. After 3 days I had some tissue tip loss and tissue base loss And tissue is extremly thin. I think as an overdose of zeo. Non of my other params have been out of whak for about a month. Im gettind kind of worried guys as the tissue becomes thinner and thinner . I have not dosed zeo in about 4 days now. Please help
    Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Not sure yet.....Build Thread to come!

If you can, dose AA's, food and bacteria. These help your corals get better. Stop Start for a while until you see improvement. A nice water change MAY help replenish lost nutrients. Also, how far is it from your lighting and what Kelvin temp are you running?

Comment

Hi Sean, as Edward mentioned, holding Start which thins or can in excess cause tissue recession is prudent.Continue this until the tips have fully recovered, about another 4-5 days. Dosing AAHC is helpful. Be sure your filter flow rate is proper--plz. reck. this. I've had this happen now on three occasions, & have found by withholding all the zeo's, all three of these tissue-tip situations has resulted in complete recovery Bob
      "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

10000k (150wde) Ushios with t5 blue+ over my 55g about 6in off the water surface(has not been changed). I can dose only AA's, food and bac no prob. Still every other day until this week is up?(2 wk cycle). Tomm i will check my filter flow rate just to make suere it is A ok
        Last edited by Diesel3443; 02-13-2005, 08:18 PM.
        Sean

Tank Specs:60g Cube SPS/Clam tank, ASM G1x Skimmer, DIY ZEOvit Reactor, 1x400w EVC 14k, Marine Life Aquatics CR-250 CaRx (RIP)

Comment

What's the difference between bak and start?. From reading the guide it seems that they both contain nitrification bacteria. This is the first time I've heard of stopping start for tissue thining.

thanks,
          Albert

Comment

Sean, beside stopping ZeoStart and adding amino acids I also also would recommend you to lower the water flow through your reactor. This is helpful to slower bring down the nutrients.

I also adjust my reactor form time to time with a easy DIY control to the pump. The reactor pump is attached at the soak up side with a filter basket tube. I build a easy PVC pipe which inside diameter is about 1 mm bigger then the filter basket tube. I shift the PVC pipe over the filter basket tube so I easy can adjust the flow through the reactor by minimize the soak up quantity of water by moving the PVC pipe.

If I feel coral tissue is to thin or colors are to light, I reduce the flow through the reactor for some days.

G.Alexander

Comment

Originally posted by alazo1
              What's the difference between bak and start?. From reading the guide it seems that they both contain nitrification bacteria. This is the first time I've heard of stopping start for tissue thining.

thanks,
              Albert
              Albert, plz. reread the "ZEOvit guide" as the descriptions of all the components is thoroughly explained Bob

Comment

Thanks Alexander Do you have a pick of this diy controler at all? Im trying to visualize it but I cannot
                Sean

Comment

Sean, sorry I tried to take a picture of the construction, but in the sump room I do not have enough light to show it clear. I will post a drawing tomorrow.

Hope this helps,

G.Alexander

Comment

That wil do Thanks Alexander
                    Sean

Comment

Sean, one can place a valve inline between the filter pump & the zeo-filter to reduce flow. Bob

Comment

Bob, the problem is finding valve small enough to fit my maxijet. Next time Im at the home depot I will take a look at some JG fittings
                        Sean

Comment

Sean, this is a picture of the filter tube basket which is attached to the soak up side of my reactor pump. The idea was to regulate the surface of the basket to limit the water quantity which the pump can soak in. It is a one side closed, slitted plastic tube which came with the pump (AquaBee 2000/1).

To do this I use a piece of PVC tube which diameter is a little bit larger then the diameter of the basket tube. If I shift the whole PVC tube above the filter basket, no surface is available for the pump to soak up water. The water flow is reduced to zero.

By shifting the PVC tube I can easy regulate the flow ratio of the pump.

G.Alexander

Comment

Thanks alexander. Its clear as day now Thanks for all your help. As an updateon my situation I took Edwards advice and have been dosing only Food , Bac , and AA an it seems to be getting better I do need to check on the flow through the reactor to day though
                            Sean

Comment

G.Alexander

Comment

Working...
                              X