No announcement yet.

Removing rock - how do I adjust dosing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing rock - how do I adjust dosing?

I'm tired of fighting all the detritus leeching from my rocks (and the associated algae), so I have decided to cook my rocks. I've been debating this for several weeks, but I think it is the best move in keeping with the long-term goals of my tank, even if it means some short-term inconvenience.

Some of you may also remember that I have to replace my tank because the seams are failing on my old one. Well, the new tank will be ready next week, and 1 week from today I am doing the switch out. To make things even more interesting, I will be out of town most of this week, limiting my ability to prepare for all of this.

So I want to get some advice about how to handle the switch, and in particular the Zeo dosing. If I were just removing the rocks, I would feel more comfortable about the biological filter in my tank staying intact, but with me replacing the tank as well, I am a little nervous. The bioload is pretty light - 3 chromis, a lawnmower blenny, and a CB angel. The dozen or so corals that I am keeping will stay in the tank on eggcrate shelves.

What I'm thinking is that I could remove 1/2 the rocks and start cooking them when I swap tanks. Then about 2 weeks later I would remove the rest of the rocks, and hopefully by that time some of the nitrifying bacteria will have started to colonize the new tank walls. I'm also throwing some sponge filters in the sump now to provide a place for the bacteria to colonize.

As for zeo dosing, I'm thinking that I would just stay the course, except maybe increase my Start dosage for a couple of weeks to help kickstart the nitrifying bacteria. My current dosage on my 130g net water volume tank is 5/5 bak and food twice a week and 1 ml start daily. I am 6 weeks in and did my first changeout 2 weeks ago. I also just started dosing AA's a few days ago, 5 drops every day.

hmm IMO i would not cook your rock now, if you get your tank next week and wanne switch, i would do some water changes and safe the old water for your new tank, that will help with your move,

Comment

I just did something similar my transfer did'nt go real well but I had alot of other variables. I switched lighting,increased water volume by almost 100%,plus maybe a few other things that could have had a role in my current problem.
      I was about 4 weeks into the zeolith stones so I continued w/ recommended bac/food7/start/aahc dosing when I switched tanks. My tank is currently going through a slight increase in NO3 (2ml was .02). As you said maybe increase start and dose 2x's/day. I wonder if a slight increase in bac/food7 would help in colonizing new system. Maybe someone else can comment on that. One other thing to watch is ALK w/o rock your ALK demands should fall causing KH to rise. My tank did this and I kind of think this is what happened. I think your switch should go much easier than mine as you have "seasoned water" where 50% of mine was fresh. Maybe you could put a couple rocks in the sump to help seed if this is even needed at all.
      Take Care,
      Chad

Comment

Hi Mike, looks like some work ahead before the enjoyment of your new reef The zeo-filter will do all the biological filtration for your new system. Go ahead & renew all your LR at the same time--tootbrush/skim the holding tank for this revival of good clean LR.This may require more than a few wks. to achieve Be sure to dose the proper zeolite quantities based on net water vol with the correct flow rate. I'd continue with your present bak/food7 dosages but increase Start to .5ml 3x's/day. Same for carbon based on net vol. Bob
        "There might be something to this ZEOvit"

Comment

Thanks for the info Dr. Bob. I was hoping that the Zeovit filter would handle the biological filtration, but I wasn't 100% sure. I already have a hospital tank that is running and cycled, so if I see any sign of a cycle I can pull the fish out.

Yes, it will be a lot of work, but it's worse trying to deal with all the detritus in the tank. Even if I elevate the rocks and get more flow underneath (which I plan to do in the new tank), the stuff that's there now sticks to the starboard - probably because of the slime from the bacteria breaking it down. To get it off, I have to remove all the rocks and scrape the starboard, and after all that it's covered again in a few days. Honestly, I think it will be easier to deal with the rocks outside of the main tank.

Comment

Working...
          X