X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnesium

Been chasing magnesium in the Tonka Toy tank
    since starting up this time last year.
    Maybe a rock or sand issue at the start and been very concerned about the amount of magnesium pouring into the tank.
    - can only take so much irons, so where’s it going.
    nothing grown and nothing dieing ?
    A number of different test kits all saying the same.

My larger tank on a dosing pump had a few time strange magnesium consumption and put it down to an old jabao dosing pump.
    Dosing pump has been replaced.

Last weekend I tested the water mixed up for a water change. And was very surprised the the magnesium levels in both 30 liter and 80 liter buckets both measured 1100 ppm magnesium!!!

I remover salt from the buckets and roll and flip the salt to mix it etc.

if using the Red Sea blue bucket keep a eye on ur magnesium lever.

Hello Nick, have you already cross check salinity with a electronic meter ?

G.Alexander

Comment

Basically, I think (personally), commercially available brands of mixed salts (big brands) should not make such mistakes (the probability is very low), incorrect salinity is the problem, and abnormal test reagents may also be the problem. Another way of thinking, if the salinity in the main system is correct and stable, then maintaining a weekly 5-10% replacement of new water can basically satisfy the mg concentration at a suitable level, and if you mix other (inferior salt), which may also be the reason. Is your system mg seriously low end too? (Of course, the premise is that it needs to be in the correct salinity range)

Comment

Originally posted by G.Alexander View Post
        Hello Nick, have you already cross check salinity with a electronic meter ?

G.Alexander

A few months back i took one of my refractors, to one of the retailer/importers and tested his water,

And he tested the sample with his meter and a refractor too.
        Found no faults

Will take a sample of water over again this weekend and get him retest salinity, also magnesium.

Comment

Originally posted by jacky View Post
          Basically, I think (personally), commercially available brands of mixed salts (big brands) should not make such mistakes (the probability is very low), incorrect salinity is the problem, and abnormal test reagents may also be the problem. Another way of thinking, if the salinity in the main system is correct and stable, then maintaining a weekly 5-10% replacement of new water can basically satisfy the mg concentration at a suitable level, and if you mix other (inferior salt), which may also be the reason. Is your system mg seriously low end too? (Of course, the premise is that it needs to be in the correct salinity range)

To me the salt now has a pharmaceutical likeness to it now, so something has changed.

I have found a few other people on the web, have similar findings also.

I do not see salinity being out, dropping 900-1300ppm Mg on freshly made saltwater
          Ca ok
          Kh ok

It was just interesting measuring fresh salt water,

It just been the Tonka Toy tank Jacky,

Comment

Evening all.

Today sample of RODI water and salt mixed up last weekend was tested an number of time to today at Lfs with there meters, refractors and magnesium test kits.

salinity after a week hadn’t changed at 35ppt
            and magnesium was 1100 ppm

So at the moment I am on the hunt for a conductivity meter, as I have read a lot bout them.
            Pinpoint one is looking ok basics and reasonable which is all I really need.

- unfortunately Jacky, commercially big brand manufactured do make mistakes.

mixing up 10 ton of salt in a large vat, pouring into buckets , equals 454, 22kg buckets. We don’t know how many tons per batch
            like first buckets come out ok and the rest are off as the salts settle

- batch numbers
            Do they test every bucket, every 100 bucket, or the tonnage of salt mixed ??
            and give each bucket its own number !!

Anyway enough.
            happy days moving forward 😎

Comment

I can understand what you mean. If it were me, I personally believe that the chance of the manufacturer making mistakes is really small. After all, it really involves a lot of issues such as goodwill and so on. Personally I would double check and cross compare the results, it could just be that the salt mix wasn't mixed well enough before use. If the Mg value is really low, I personally just increase the elements slowly, and pay close attention to the basic water parameters.

Comment

Hello Nick, I would try to contact the manufacturer of the salt as they do publish the levels for the main elements in their product description:

https://g1.redseafish.com/red-sea-salts/red-sea-salt/

I have used a electronic meter from Greissinger and was very pleased with it, very accurate. This is the actual meter:

https://www.greisinger.de/p/handheld...h-3431/601917/

G.Alexander

Comment

Working...
                X