No announcement yet.

Transitioning to Zeovit system from traditional system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I compensate it by running the reactor longer ?

Comment

The material needs to be submerged, if you are not able to while the on / off mode I would suggest to run the reactor with continuous flow of 400 liters per hour while using 1 liter of the ZeoVit material. If you do the first exchange after 4 weeks just use one liter again and let it run for 2 weeks, than add the additional quantity and adjust the reactor flow to the recommended level.

Most important question is have you already removed all the PO4 absorber you have used before ?

G.Alexander

Comment

1) Thanks Reactor is setup for running 24x7
        2) Yes i shutdown my GFO reactor for phosphate export.

Comment

Removing the PO4 absorber at once is the reason for the increase of PO4, it would be better like Jacky has mention to remove the absorber slowly step by step. Would recommend you to keep a close eye on the PO4 level in the next 2 weeks, if it does not increase furthermore it should be OK otherwise I would thinking about adding a low quantity of PO4 absorber again to prevent a uncontrolled increase of PO4.

ZeoVit is a bacteria driven system which needs time to process nutrients effective so at the moment this process is just minimal and PO4 can increase as you removed the absorber which has controlled PO4 in the past.

G.Alexander

Comment

Also keep this in mind, changes in nutrient levels should be gradual and slow, and rapid changes in nutrient levels negatively affect coral health. Since you've shut down the reactor, I would also recommend giving the system some time to keep a close eye on the nutrient levels. It is also important to maintain the correct dosage of Zeo base products, as well as recommended products.

During these four weeks you can also: Change the water 5-10% weekly with suitable high quality salt while monitoring basal water parameters slowly to recommended levels. If you are using sand, remove the mud by vacuuming while changing the water.

In addition, the amount and flow of zeolite material is also an important Zeo core.

Comment

Thanks Guys. So far all dosing is on track as per my schedule. and Zeo reactor is on 24x7. I can see the Po4 level dropping. However my GFO reactor is in standby if there is a spike.

Thanks for the feedback.

Question - any instructions on Cyano Clean along with these steps ?

Comment

I have no experience with Cyano Clean, if your goal is to remove algae problem, but I don't know why and condition of your algae, CoralSnow 1ml/25 US gallons x 7~10 days treatment otherwise 2 times a week. Also make sure to use pure, high-quality RO/DI water.

Give the system some time for about 2 weeks, and if the nutrient levels keep trending down, gradually reduce the reactor material, this process should not be aggressive and rising.

Comment

CyanoClean from Korallenzucht will not cause any harm at this stage so you can dose it additional to prevent from Cyanos however my recommendation is if you like to use it to wait the first 2 or 3 weeks.

G.Alexander

Comment

Thanks. My current readings
                    Nitrates - 5
                    Phosphates - .08

They seem to be stable.

Changed my dosing to Calcium reactor - However I am still dosing MG (that's for another day). Will keep an eye on Alk and CA over next several weeks to ensure stability.

Regards,
                    Kapil

Comment

Current readings :
                      Nitrate - 5
                      Phosphate - 0
                      Ca - 450
                      Alk - 10.2

For few days the system is running on calcium reactor and results are great and stable. I am running calcium reactor at 6.8 ph and using sachem media.

Regards,
                      Kapil

Comment

Hello Kapil, good to see that PO4 does not increase, lets keep the path, just KH is to high, let it drop slowly to ~ 7.5 if you are sure your test kit is accurate. Also keep a eye on the Ca level, it should not increase furthermore, a level around 400 mg does work very well in a nutrient poor system.

G.Alexander

Comment

Test results again -

Ph - 0
                          Nitrates - 5.0

Alk - still at 10.2

The main reason why i am keeping high alk is due to following :

https://reefs.com/magazine/how-to-gr...hotosynthesis/

However if team suggests that I should reduce it i will start doing it slowly. But looks like system has gotten stable at this parameter.

Comment

I describe my idea in a simpler way. It is like a "coat", coral growth/health/coloring needs to take off this coat, it can fully optimize the color of the coral itself. However, as nutrient concentrations drop (the coat has been removed) corals are naturally magnified and more sensitive to external conditions. Therefore, balance is important, higher/lower basal water parameters are very sensitive to corals, negatively manifested as coral TN. Conversely, coloring/nutrients are also more likely to optimize coral absorption of color at the display.

It is recommended to use high-quality salt with appropriate parameters, salt + water. When changing the water every week, 5-10% of the elements are refreshed in a balanced way, and start adjusting/monitoring the basic water parameters as much as possible. Please also remember that this process should not happen in a hurry.

Comment

I would recommend you to slowly decrease the KH to the recommended range otherwise I fear you will have issues the nutrient poorer the system will be. My personal experience is you can not top growth in a nutrient poor system (zeovit) with a higher KH, growth in such systems if everything is optimal can be massive even if the KH is 6.5

G.Alexander

Comment

Interesting read, just skimmed half of what Dan wrote back then

no mention of No3 or pho4 under testing and the use of cycled water (why)

but this statement he made stood out

“While this experiment found that Porites lobata’s rate of photosynthesis could be influenced by the concentration of bicarbonate ions, there is evidence that such is not the case with all corals’ zooxanthellae”

Comment

Working...
                                X