Transitioning to Zeovit system from traditional system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transitioning to Zeovit system from traditional system

Hi Guys, I am new to this system. I am moving my tank from the existing system to zeovit system.

I have a 200 Gallon system and currently do 2-part dosing, with phosphate reactor, skimmer, and refugium. With the Zeovit system some basic questions :

1) Do I need to still dose 2 part?
    2) Do I still need to maintain refugium?
    3) I understand I don't need to run a phosphate reactor
    4) I understand that I should run a skimmer.
    4) How often do water change with zeovit system?

Sorry I have had a very bad experience in the last 1-1/2 years and trying to be as basic and meticulous as possible.

Welcome to ZeoVit.Com.

First, fill in more information about your tank so we can learn more.

https://forum.zeovit.com/forum/gener...bout-your-tank

Basically, refugium can be used with ZeoVit system, but it is not necessary.

Phosphate reactors are acceptable for temporary use to control nutrient levels, but are not recommended for long-term use, nor are they required equipment, and additional means of reducing nutrients are not recommended.

A balanced water change of 5-10% weekly is recommended

Comment

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter
      270 US Gallon
      2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter
      220G
      3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique
      No
      4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.)
      Yes from past 1 year
      5. Are you using Ozone
      No
      6. Are you using UV
      No
      7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume)
      Aquamaxx - rated for 300G
      8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels
      9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels
      Alk 9.46
      CA 498
      mg 1294
      10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.)
      Refugium
      11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.)
      2 Hydra HD 64
      2 hydra 16HD
      2 T4 coral blue

12. What corals do you keep
      Mix
      13. Tissue color (light or dark)
      in terrible shape
      14. How long has the tank been running
      1.5 years
      15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system
      Stable system growing and coloring corals
      16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.)
      2 part dosing (Alk, CA and MG) dosing
      17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.)
      250 lb
      18. Any present problems
      Algae attack
      19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.)
      Hair Algae bloom - Lowering phosphate and carbon dosing to get rid of it
      20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.)
      Hanna
      21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.)
      Alk 236 ml , 10 ml per hour
      Ca 210 ML , 8.5 ML per hour
      Mg 1 ml daily
      22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.)
      Salinity - 36
      Temp - 80
      23. Which salt brand do you use
      Red Sea Coral Pro

Comment

Thanks Jacky, Would you like me to dose Alk, CA and MG separately once I start on Zeovit system ?

Comment

Start with basic products that reduce nutrition first:

1. Put the 2.2 liter ZeoVit into the Zeo Reactor. The water flow is approximately 880 liters per hour. Connect the reactor pump to a clock timer and run the reactor pump at 3 hours on/3 hours off/3 hours on intervals. Make sure that the zeolite is not exposed to air when the pump is turned off. Clean materials daily. Leave the zeolite in the filter for 4 weeks until your first change. This is the first replacement interval, others can be extended to 6-8 weeks.

2. Put 0.88 liters of activated carbon in the filter bag and keep it in the passive water flow in the sink, change it every 30 days. Rub the charcoal daily to keep the surface clean. Most users get perfect results with korallenzucht carbon.

3. Take 9 drops of ZeoBac daily for the first 2 weeks, 9 drops 2-3 times a week. Take ZeoStart 0.88ml 2 times a day (morning and evening). Dosing the Zeo reactor pump while it is on. ZeoFood can be used later once the system is running stable. If you already have SpongePower, you can take an additional 9 drops every other day, which will have a positive effect on biology.

You can use other products later for coral coloring. Adjust your skimmer to skim off wetness and keep it as clean as possible for exit. Change the water 5 – 10% weekly and use good quality salt.

Basic water parameters don't look good, try to keep them as close to NSW as possible within the following ranges:

KH 6.5 – 7.5
          Ca 400 – 420 mg
          Mg 1250 – 1300 mg
          K+ ~ 380 mg

The basic water parameters are high, please also use a precision instrument to cross check whether the salinity is correct
          For malnourished environments, K+ (potassium) appears to be an important element. I suggest you get the test suite for this element as well, and post your results.

If you are currently using a phosphate reactor, let's reduce the material by 1/3, keep an eye on the nutrient levels shouldn't go up, and if all is well, slowly reduce the material to 0 at weekly intervals

During this process of switching/reducing nutrients, I also recommend that you get [email protected] drops every other day, to support the process and enhance biology
          (Two weeks)。Otherwise 2 times a week

I also recommend you to get [email protected] 2 times a week

This is a starting dose that may need to be adjusted later.​

Comment

Hi Jacky, Thank you so much. This is very helpful below is the table with a summary of your suggestion.

However I still do not have an answer about if i need to continue with my additional dosing.
            I currently Dose BRS 2 part system (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/2-par...ly-bundle.html). Looking at this I might need to stop it.

Just to recap here is my 30 day schedule looks like :

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	127
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	604255
            Attached Files

Comment

The dosing plan schedule looks fine.

just some fine tuning

1: If you can, SpongePower and BioMate, stagger them by days. This has no ill effects even if given 2 additions on the same day. Just suggested to separate.

2: BioMate is basically given for 2 weeks, otherwise 2 times a week, when gradually reducing the material, also pay close attention to the nutrient level situation, it should not rise. (If it goes up, please be patient and keep watching closely for a few days, also remember to not have a sudden rise/fall of nutrients, and post the actual concentration)

3: Your salt usage specification is not so appropriate, it is recommended to replace the salt to maintain water quality parameters similar to the natural coral reef environment

First check that the salinity is correct, if the salinity is at the correct level, adjust the Dose BRS and reduce it slowly to the NSW level, keeping it as stable as possible

Comment

I am not familiar with the BRS 2 part system but basically you can continue to use it but as Jacky mention reduce / adjust the dosage to keep the Ca and KH levels solid on the recommended ranges. Make sure that the 2 part salts are products with purest chemicals otherwise the nutrient poorer your system will be the more those “additional” elements have a darkening effect to the corals tissue and the coloration. The manufacturer say those chemicals are pharma grade to it should usually be OK.

Mg is a element I would personally not dose separate as the consumption is low and the element will be supplemented with the weekly water changes. Keeping the level above 1300 mg is not necessary.

G.Alexander

Comment

Thanks, Guys Waiting for my instrument and kit to arrive my current parameters are as follows:

Phos - 0
                  Nitrate - 5 PPM
                  Alk - 10.2
                  Ca - 418
                  mg - haven't checked. Dont think Hanna test kit is not available.
                  Salinity - 35.2

Ready for Jeovit system and thanks everyone.

Comment

Good luck and please let us know if you have any additional questions. If you are not able to get a Hanna checker for Mg a standard Mg test would be fine also, the level is usually very solid and need not to be checked so often.

G.Alexander

Comment

Zeo reactor is in 3 hrs on and 3 hrs off with 1l of material.

question - how often do I need to change the zeo material in reactor ?

Comment

I see a film forming on the glass - looks like nitrate / phosphates are increasing will test it in the evening and update the team.

meanwhile please let me know what needs to be done.

Comment

1 liter (ie 1 pack) of ZeoVit material = 100 US gallons (net water). The water flow is about 880 liters per hour (your system). Leave the zeolite in the filter for 4 weeks, cleaning the material daily until your first change. This is the first replacement interval, others can be extended to 6-8 weeks. What is the actual nutritional level so far, and have you started the ZeoVit program?

Comment

Because of the increase of nutrients have you removed all of the PO4 media you have used before at once ? Also is there any special reason why you use a lower quantity of ZeoVit, what is the actual reactor flow at the moment ?

G.Alexander

Comment

Day 1 Nitrates - 3.18 , Phosphates - 0
                              Day 2 Nitrrates - 5.0 , Phosphates - .21

Looks like phosphates are increasing. Any suggestions ?

The reason why I have only 1 L of Zeovit because my reactor is taller and if I switch it off, all media doesn't stay submerged. Let me know if leaving media dry is alright. I can adjust the cycle as suggested by experts here.

Comment

Working...
                              X