Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Zeo Redsea Reefer 170

Hey,

Been out of the hobby for 6 years and finally stepping back into it.

I have previously ran Zeo on my last tank and loved it.

Looking for some guidance once again from the zeo wizards!

I got this tank second hand fully cycled and set up, I transferred tank, water, sand and live rock and set it back up. The previous owner was not running zeovit.

I added a skimmer and small zeolite reactor along with a carbo reactor and started with 1 drop of bac and 1 drop of SP twice a week and start .25ml daily.

This is day 6 and yesterday i started to see a light green dusty type of algae growing on the glass, when cleaned it returns again within a few hours.

Can I get some guidance on this as I'm relearning all my zeo knowledge again

Cheers

Graham.

If I understand correctly, is the system a transfer system? (your original system was transferred to ZeoVit system), can you post the details in the link so we can know more

https://forum.zeovit.com/forum/gener...bout-your-tank

Comment

Hello Graham, good to see you back !

Please give us some more information about your system as Jacky has mention.

G.Alexander

Comment

Hey Jacky, hello Alexander thanks for the welcome back, it's great to be back.

Here is some information about this current set-up.

1. Gross water volume of your complete system: 170 liters
        2. Net water volume: 150 liters
        3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique: No.
        4. Are you using a PO4 reactor: No.
        5. Are you using Ozone: No.
        6. Are you using UV: No.
        7. What skimmer are you using: Deltec 400i
        8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels: Need to test.
        9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels: Need to test.
        10. What filtration method do you use: Zeoreator with .25lrt stones.
        11. Type of light: Radion XR15 Blue
        12. What corals do you keep: Cunnertly just a green toadstool.
        13. Tissue color: Good.
        14. How long has the tank been running: 5 weeks, 1 week on zeovit.
        15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system: Used before with great results.
        16. Any supplemental dosing: Not yet.
        17. Live rock: Yes, 4lbs.
        18. Any present problems: Yes.
        19. Problem description: brown algea on the sand, green dusting on glass and purple slim on some rocks.
        20. What test kit do you use: Will buy, Hanna and some Redsea testkits (New)
        21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.) Zeobak: 1 drop twice weekly, Zeo SP 1 drop twice weekly, Zeostart .2ml daily.
        22. Other water parameters and water stability: salinity 35, temp 25.
        23. Which salt brand do you use: Real seawater. (New supply to local fishshop, i will list the parameters later)

Comment

Hi Essox I suggest you start with:

Start with basic products to reduce nutrients first:

1. Put 0.38 liters of zeovit into the Zeo Reactor. The water flow is about 150 liters per hour. Make sure that the zeolite is not exposed to air when the pump is turned off. Clean materials daily. Leave the zeolite in the filter for 4 weeks until your first change. This is the first replacement interval, others can be extended to 6-8 weeks.

2. Put 0.15 liters of activated carbon in the filter bag and keep it in the passive water flow in the sink, change it every 30 days. Rub the charcoal daily to keep the surface clean. Most users get perfect results with korallenzucht carbon. (Use Reactor - 0.08 liters, change every 3 weeks)

3. Take 1 drop of ZeoBac daily for the first 2 weeks and 1 drop 3 times a week. Take ZeoStart 0.15ml 2 times a day (morning and evening). Dosing the Zeo reactor pump while it is on.

4. 1 additional drop of SpongePower for the first two weeks and 1 drop every other day thereafter will improve systems biology.

There may be different algal stages such as some brown slime algae followed by some healthy green algae

Carefully test for carbonate hardness and salinity. More corals can now be added to the system if the basic water parameters are within the recommended ranges. Additional fish can be added, but should be very slow. Also, the fish must be fed very carefully at this stage as the biology is not very stable at this stage. Do not add more than 1-2 fish per 250 liters of fish per week. After another 4 weeks, you can add the rest of the fish you plan to use in the system.

Basic water parameters Adjust them slowly and try to keep them within the following ranges around NSW:

KH 6.5 – 7.5
          Ca 400 – 420 mg
          Mg 1250 – 1300 mg
          K+ ~ 380 mg

For malnourished environments, K+ (potassium) appears to be an important element. I suggest you get the test suite for this element as well, and post your results.

Comment

Thank you for the additional details Graham. As you just keep one coral at the moments lets increase the ZeoVit quantity to 0.4 liters with a constant reactor flow of 150 liters per hour. As Jacky already said lets adjust the dosing regimen as follows at week 2:

ZeoBac – 2 drops 2 x weekly
            ZeoStart – 0.15 ml 2 x daily
            SpongePower – 2 drops every other day

If the brown / red film does not disappear in the next 2 weeks or if it does increase some other changes might be necessary.

Otherwise not much has changed in the last couple of years with ZeoVit.

G.Alexander

Comment

Thanks for the instructions Jacky I'll be sure to take it on board and will adjust to Alexanders recommendations.

i got today some test kits and will do a test for Alk, Cal and Mag in the morning.

Comment

Hi Graham,
                welcome back!
                It seems that we took a break at the same time (6 years tankless). I recently went to that new store in Dublin and saw some amazing Tridacnas and now I can't sleep anymore
                I'm thinking about staying reasonable this time and setting up some nano tank.

Show us some pictures of your new system!
                “Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home.”
                - Matsuo Munefusa

Comment

Originally posted by Michal View Post
                  Hi Graham,
                  welcome back!
                  It seems that we took a break at the same time (6 years tankless). I recently went to that new store in Dublin and saw some amazing Tridacnas and now I can't sleep anymore
                  I'm thinking about staying reasonable this time and setting up some nano tank.

Show us some pictures of your new system!
                  Thank you Michal,

Yea is was to long of a break to be honest, i dont blame you them tridacnas are lovely.

looking forward to seen your nano.

i'll take some pictures later and upload them

Comment

Working...
                  X