Hello new tank starting up on Zeo system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello new tank starting up on Zeo system

Hello turned 50 and decided to cross off one thing from the bucket list , I want to go zeo with a new tank setup.
    I used to grow out sticks big time in the 90s then had kids and stuff and have kept it down to just a normal sized tank or 2 for the last 20 years. I still have alot of old equipment and larger tanks and sumps in my barn so decided to set up what used to be a surge sump as a display with a 15 gallon zeroedge frag tank draining into this surge display /sump. I bought this to use a commercial sump but its too pretty not to put it on display. Reason i want to go Zeo is after 30 years in the hobby and am wanting to get the coloration that zeo tanks, get.

Practices: test regularly for alk every few weeks for CA and MG and if my alk is in line my main tank has been very solid,and corals looking good admittedly i don't usually check for much else. I am super crazy about my ro/di and its dialed in .automated water changes , big skimmer low nutrients is how i have always been most successful I use Calcium reactor and Kalkwasser reactors. Im very familiar with the " berlin system " of the 90s, and just getting back into it, reading forms etc. Ive never dosed anything like 2 part or 3 part solutions. I purposely avoid aquarium controllers, fads and trying new things. Good thiings happen slowly in reefing.

Please give us answers to the following questions in order to get more accurate dosing recommendations.

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter
    200 gallon capacity display/surge sump with a 15 gallon zeroedge hex
    its a new tank no existing corals or fish , i have a couple hundred pounds of live rock thats been cured and just running with saltwater doing 10%water changes 2 years, its clean i seeded the dead rock with some fresh live rock about a year ago to get corraline started. its had a 250 radium over it for the last year 8 hours daily, I will use about 100 lbs of live rock in the system total

2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter capacity is 215 gallons after live rock its about 150 gallons (600 liters) of tankwater in the system.
    3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique I have one Korralin c1502 i think its called its old but it works
    4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) never
    5. Are you using Ozone I have a couple ozone generators , i used to run it in my skimmers. i did not think zeo used ozone so did not plan to use but could.
    6. Are you using UV i have a 80 watt and a smaller 40- 50 watt, i didnt think zeo tanks used them i could get new bulbs .
    7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume) I do have a smaller SRO2000 recirculating needle wheel skimmer. its rated for 250 gallons, brs rates it to 180 gallons.
    it seems way small to me.. I do have a couple old lifereef 6 footers if that would be better but i think those were rated for 1000-1500 gallons .
    8 . What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels still doing the plumbing my current system is .2 PO4 and nitrates usually around 15-25
    9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels still doing the plumbing CA 420-450 usually, Alk swings a little but generaly around 9 ... mg rarely check but normally 1300 to 1400
    10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.) historically ive ran bare bottom big skimmer tanks, ive played with a refugium and dsb but not for me zero desire for dsb or refugium
    11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.) wavetank has 2 400 watt radiums in lumenbrights on pfo hqi ballast (20K MH) the little zeroedge frag tank , im thinking to try one of the new ATI Stratons ...ive never had any leds. I could put a 250 or 400 radium on it but it would not fit the room location. I saw the ATI led at a local shop and he had to take the lid off to show me it wasn't t5 so i think the leds have gotten to where i can stand the looks of them . I look at some people tanks with leds and it hurts my eyes to see the leds.

12. What corals do you keep mostly lps, acan lords and sps sticks
    13. Tissue color (light or dark) . right now dark compared to zeo tanks is why i want to set up a new zeo system and slowly move corals into it.
    14. How long has the tank been running its new, rock and water have been aging about 2 years in a 300 gallon rubbermaid , been doing 30 gallon automated water changes on it for about 2 years . i will move my corals in after the zeo system is running.
    15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system 100% for the colors i see on other peoples tanks. I have the time and work from home so can finally do it.
    16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.) just kalk and calcium reactor is what i have always used for 30+ years..
    17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.) well cured and completely cooked for a year then cycled..i feel very good, starting with good rock is most of the battle.
    18. Any present problems no
    19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.)
    20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.) Hanna checkers for alk, Calcium and Phosphate, just got new reagents and test kits Aquaforest MG, Nyos nitrate and salifert K
    21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.) wanting to start
    22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.) traditionally ive ran 1.26 and 78 degrees can adjust if needed for zeo.
    23. Which salt brand do you use usually tropic marin is what ive used in the past. again im very open to changing if one salt is better than another with zeo, im not a fan or Instant ocean or red sea as both seem dirty to me when they are mixed compared to tropic marin and brightwell are what my lfs stocks.

im reusing most equipment, i just mainly need to buy the zeo goods, zeo reactor, and some kinda led for the frag tank. I need figure out if still need calcium reactor, kalk reactor, uv sterilizers

and what zeo recommends to get started. Im still building the stand and getting the plumbing figured out.

if anyone is familiar with the zeroedge tanks any idea what gph to push thru it. im plumbing it to an old reeflo dart pump i think it will push enough at 3 foot head height going thru 2 90s,

Timosha

Hello Timosha and welcome to ZeoVit.com !

As you start a new tank from the scratch I would recommend you to cycle the system as described in the following link:

https://forum.zeovit.com/forum/gener...803#post290803

This procedure can just be used if the system does not contain animals already.

UV and Ozone do harm the products which are dosed so both should not be used.

All dosing is calculated on the net water volume of the system, which is usually ~ 20% less than the gross water volume.

If you use a sand bed I would recommend you to use a shallow sand bed of dry aragonite in the grain size of 2 – 4 mm and a depth of 3-4 cm.

Basic water parameters should be kept as solid as possible within the following ranges:

KH 6.5 – 7.5
    Ca 400 – 420 mg
    Mg 1250 – 1300 mg
    K+ ~ 380 mg

For a nutrient poor environment K+ (potassium) seems to be a important element. I would recommend you to get a test kit for this element also, posting your results.

Adequate flow is important for the corals so I usually recommend to us 20 – 30 x the tank volume.

Please let us know if you have any further questions, good luck for your new project.

G.Alexander

Comment

Working...
    X