• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bare Bottom, CaribSea Liferock - Excessive Green Algae

Hi Everyone,

I have the following

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - 940 liter
    2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - 800 liter
    3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique - not yet, planning to start once Calcium is down, as of now only dosing KH
    4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) - No
    5. Are you using Ozone - No
    6. Are you using UV - No
    7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume) - Royal Exclusive 250 - rated for 2000l
    8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels - PO4 - 0.02, NO3 - 0
    9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels - CA - 470, ALK - 7.5, MG - 1252
    10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.) - Fleece filter
    11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.) - Led Ecotech G5 + T5
    12. What corals do you keep - SPS + LPS
    13. Tissue color (light or dark) - Normal
    14. How long has the tank been running - 3 months
    15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system - Stable parameters to keep SPS + colors
    16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.) - KH dosing till Calcium level is decreased so that I can start Calcium reactor
    17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.) - Deadrock (Caribsea Liferock) - Approximately 10% (have it my sump as well). Bare bottom.
    18. Any present problems - excessive green algae
    19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.) - there was some tissue loss at bottom, but it is recovering now. Only for acropora - not sure.
    20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.) - Salifert, Hanna
    21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.) - Please find it attached
    22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.) Salinity - 34-35, Temp - 25C. Attached please find ICP test
    23. Which salt brand do you use -

I have the following questions:
    - High calcium. I was dosing CoralSnow - Can it be the reason for high Ca? As of now I see it the only reason for high calcium as source water is approximately Ca 420
    and I do approximately 5% water change per week (6 liters of water change on a daily basis).
    - Excessive Green Algae - Probably several reasons:
    1) Start of aquarium barebottom
    2) Use of deadrock (Caribsea Liferock)
    3) Algae boomed after Zeovit stone echanged after 2 monthes, I tried PolybLab Polyp-Booster + Some Coral Food by Founa Marine, which probably resulted in high Phosphates,
    which were consumed by green algae. Shall I change my dosing schedule?
    - Upon exchange of 90% of zeovit stones every 2 months - How shall I dose Zeobak - Each day for the first 10 days or Every other day for the first 10 days?

Many thanks for your help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211218_133244.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	602338

Name:	20211218_133247.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	602339

Name:	20211218_133256.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	602340

Name:	20211218_133311.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	602341 Click image for larger version

Name:	ICP-test.png
Views:	144
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	602342

Name:	Screenshot_1.png
Views:	123
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	602344
    Attached Files

Hi ya,
    Welcome,

Carbsea is man made rock as far as i am aware.

Algae
    - young tank
    -Rock binder "could" be leaching nutrients out feeding algae
    - PolybLab Polyp-Booster + Some Coral Food by Founa Marine (tanks too young to process nutrients = feeding algae) Stop using
    -Stop dosing Zeofood and Zeo Amino (algae will consume it faster than your corals)

I would aim at Zeostones change out at 6 weeks intervials followed with 14day ZeoBac for a couple of time (exchanges)

What Salt are you using,

I am unaware of Coral snow increasing Calcium
    But the alage isnt helping with the calcification within the tank.

I would give the rock a good scubbing with a toothbrush to remove as much as possible and a couple of water changed
    Refresh you carbon aslo

Algae need food (nutrients) and light to grow.
    What T5s do you have, Corrects spectrum? Time ?

Regards
    NickB

Comment

Additional to Nicks advise I would also recommend to stop dosing Xtra at the moment.

CoralSnow does not have much of a impact to the Ca level so there might be a additional source like the salt (please also double check salinity) or the rocks.

After each ZeoVit exchange dose ZeaBac daily for 10 days, otherwise 2 x weekly.

The Al level is relative high also, any idea where it is coming from ?

Have you already tried if snails or a sea urchin is touching the algae ?

G.Alexander

Comment

NickB and Alexander, many thanks, I will follow your advices and update here in two weeks.
        I am running 2x ATI Blue Plus and 2xATI Coral Plus for 8 hours per day.
        I am unaware why Al is relatively high. I will redo ICP test in couple month to see changes to the current level. I have snails (Trochus) and they do it green algae.

Comment

I think you need a shallow sand bed to hold more bacteria to stabilize the biology. These green algae look fluffy and slimy. Due to the nutritional level of the storage tank, it is recommended to add more functional animals, suggestion: sea urchin. This should help. If possible, CoralSnow can help from the side

Comment

If the snails do eat the algae I would try to add additional also a sea urchin to get rid of the algae as soon as possible.

G.Alexander

Comment

Algae has taken hold of your tank. I second a halloween urchin. I don't see any fish aside from the three squimies. Algae will grow almost everywhere with out a fish load but your corals need fish to survive. If you can get a whole bunch of hermit crabs they will clean up the hair algae. 3 months is fast to set up a tank your corals don't look so healthy.

Comment

A short update from my tank. Most of the algae disappeared. I got 2 urchins. Calcium is at 420 and I started Calcium Reactor couple of days ago. With some water changes Aluminum mostly disappeared.
                Can I resume dosing Xtra, amino acids, zeofood? Thank you

Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	168.3 KB ID:	602753 Click image for larger version  Name:	6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	126.1 KB ID:	602754 Click image for larger version  Name:	3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	199.1 KB ID:	602755
                Click image for larger version  Name:	4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	147.6 KB ID:	602756 Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	170.8 KB ID:	602757 Click image for larger version  Name:	5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	179.4 KB ID:	602758 Click image for larger version  Name:	7.png Views:	0 Size:	165.5 KB ID:	602759

Comment

Hi, that’s looking good.

hey, there still a fair bit of algae around.
                  - More snails would be good

if it was me,
                  Id stick to the basic program.
                  start, bac, sponge, and cv.
                  with keeping water parameters in line.

Keep exporting as much as you can.

your corals have colour and in time they will change.

Comment

Lets wait with dosing Xtra, amino acids, zeofood additional until the algae have completely gone. If you already have CoralSnow I would dose 2 ml / 100 liters every other day for the next 2 weeks additional.

Corals in the pictures does not have much of poly expansion but this might be a late effect to the elevated Al level ?

G.Alexander

Comment

Many thanks,
                      I will keep to the basic programm and CoralSnow
                      Pictures are not good, but poly expansion are fine.

Comment

Working...
                      X