Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Zeovit in a ULN tank

Hi all,
    after following this forum since months, I finally decided to ask you the question that is tormenting me from a couple of months:
    since I have already low nutrients since the start (April 2021) in my RedSea Reefer 250 full sps - NO3 0,50 and PO4 0,001 - is it a good idea starting with Zeovit or it would cause problems? (RNT for example)

The fact is that I always read about people struggling at the beginning with high nutrients, so that they decide to start Zeovit, or about the fact that the final aim of Zeovit is to create a ULNS, but what happens if I start Zeovit in a tank that has already low nutrients?

I'd like to start Zeovit because I like systems that provides everything, from A to Z, from bacterial to nutrients, from oligoelements to flatworm repellent, and I'm fascinated by what Korallen Zucht has developed all over the last years.

PS: whether I'd start, I will ask you how to manage the reactor (I have a Aquavitro element Z reactor) including the initial flow, the 3hrs on/off, etc...

Thank you so much!
    Andrea

Hello Andrea and welcome to ZeoVit.com !

I do not see a problem converting your system to ZeoVit but this need to be done slow, the situation is easier as your corals are already acclimatized to low nutrient concentrations.

Problems can always occur even if you continue to run your system furthermore with the actual “setting”. ZeoVit will cause some changes to your environment (biology) and every change can cause issues however I would not expect to much problems in your situation.

If you like to get a recommendation for the start please share some more information about your system:

https://forum.zeovit.com/forum/gener...bout-your-tank

G.Alexander

Comment

Thanks Alexander!

So, this is my tank:

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.): 250 liters
      2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.): 200 liters
      3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique: NO
      4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) NO
      5. Are you using Ozone: NO
      6. Are you using UV: NO
      7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume): Ultrareef Akula 160
      8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels: NO3: 0,60 - PO4: 0,018
      9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels: CA: 410 - KH: 7 - MG: 1300
      10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.): No one, only rocks and skimmer
      11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.): 3 Radion xr15 blue G5
      12. What corals do you keep: SPS and few LPS
      13. Tissue color (light or dark): Light
      14. How long has the tank been running: April 2021
      15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system: As I already have low nutrients, I want to follow a unique system that provides all the elements and nutritions that my sps need
      16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.): ATI pro essential 1& 2
      17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.): 40/45 kg
      18. Any present problems: low nutrients that I struggle to raise even dosing more fish food or skimming drier
      19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.): No one
      20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.): NO3/PO4/Salinity: Hanna photometers - KH/CA: Aquaforest - Mg: Nyos
      21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.): No
      22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.): salinity: 35 o/oo - 25/26 C°
      23. Which salt brand do you use: Tropic Marin Pro

As I already said, I have an Aquavitro Element Z reactor (as you may know, it is provided with 2 pumps: 1 Sicce Syncra 0,5 (max 700 lt/h) for normal filtration and 1 Sicce Syncra 1.5 (1.350 lt/h) for washing function). Obviously I've removed the filter sock after the reactor.

Since I have low nutrients, I'd like to know which are the recommended dosages:
      how many lts of zeolite, recommended flow (please notice that the Sicce Syncra 0.5 is a max 700l/h pump that can be adjusted to the min flow, that I don't how much is) and if it is recommended to start with the 3 hrs on/off.

Thank you!

Comment

Thank you for the additiional details, first start with the basics products to decrease nutrients:

1. Place 0.5 liter zeovit in a Zeo Reactor. Water flow around 200 liters per hour. Connect the reactor pump to a clock timer and run the reactor pump with a 3 hour on / 3 hour off / 3 hour on interval. Please make sure the zeolite is not exposed to air while the pump is switched off. Clean the material daily. Leave the zeolite 4 weeks in the filter until you do the first change out. This is the first changing interval, others could be lengthen to 6 – 8 weeks. I can not tell you if the automatic cleaning system of your reactor is working as I never used the reactor however if the rocks are tumbled around while the second pump for cleaning is switched on it should be fine.

2. Place 0.2 liters activated carbon in a filter sock and keep it in a passive water flow in your sump, changed every 30 days. Knead the carbon daily to keep the surface clean. Most users get perfect results with korallenzucht carbon.

3. Dose 2 drops ZeoBac daily for the first 2 weeks, flowed by a 2 – 3 x weekly dosage of 2 drops. Dose 0.2 ml ZeoStart 2 x daily (morning & evening). Dose those in front of the Zeo reactor pump while it is switched on.

Later on you could use the additional products for coral coloration. Adjust your skimmer to skim wet, keeping it clean to export as much as possible. Do a weekly water change of 5 – 10 % with a good salt.

Basic water parameters looking good, try to keep them as solid as possible close the NSW in the following ranges:

KH 6.5 – 7.5
        Ca 400 – 420 mg
        Mg 1250 – 1300 mg
        K+ ~ 380 mg

For a nutrient poor environment K+ (potassium) seems to be a important element. I would recommend you to get a test kit for this element also, posting your results.

When you start with ZeoVit just continue to supplement Ca and KH and stop dosing the trace element supplements from ATI you already use. You might take them later in minimal quantities to improve growth and coloration.

This is a start-up dosage which might have to be adjusted later.

G.Alexander

Comment

Thank you Alexander.
          K+ is 400mg (Salifert test).

Do I have to add also Zeofood and/or Sponge power?
          Last edited by Delta_ita; 11-07-2021, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Would recommend you to use ZeoFood alter once the system is running solid, if you already have SpongePower you can dose 2 drops daily for 2 weeks followed by 2 drops every other day. It is a side effect of SpongePower to improve the biology.

G.Alexander

Comment

Hi all, I forgot to ask you a question about food.
              I’m already dosing Coral Vitalizer and Amino Acid since 2 months.
              Can I still dose them during the first phase of Zeovit?
              both CV and Aminoacid should be dosed together? Every day?
              Thank you!

Comment

Zeo CV is a very good coral food and can be added to the dosing plan in the first phase, 2-3 times a week. Zeo AA is given twice a week, usually without problems. Give these two Zeo products on the same day, there is no problem, you can.

Comment

Working...
                X