Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cyano - to many additives?

Hi everyone,

I do not use the full zeovit system. But I use a lot of blue bottles, possibly to many. I'm looking for some advise.

I'm currently dosing at recommend dosage daily (8-9months now):
    Amino acids LPS AA
    FWS - had FW few months ago will continue for a while
    Coral Booster - to help with FW
    Coral Vitalizer

Then I added in the coral system (60 days ago) which I saw some major differences in red, pink, green and orange colors in my SPS.

The downside is I went from have a small patch of cyano here and there to 60% of my sand covered in it. It's also growing in my fuge slowing down my Cheato growth in used to.

So I started cyano clean a week ago. But I think I may be feeding the cyano with some of the additives.

Was thinking maybe to ditch the coral vitalizer, Aminos acids and LPS AA since the coral system has a AA as bottle 3 I believe. I however did notice the LPS AA improved how expanded the LPS get.

Po4 is .05
    No3 10-15

I do not shoot for ULN like the full zeovit system does, no3 needs to come down a bit more for my liking, po4 is good where it's at. Anymore and my LPS suffer. Hard to balance that mixed reef and keep everyone happy.

Thank you

Last edited by bmwm235i; 09-25-2021, 10:13 AM.

Hi ya bmwm235i

Red mats can be of two things

!/ cyano
    2/ sprirulina

Taken off Posting on R2R

Take a portion of that red mat you see in your tank and place it into a cup with about 2 cups of tank water.
    Now add 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide
    Over the course of several hours you may start to see a change in the water and the color of your sample.
    If in fact it is the common cyanobacteria and not spirulina the water will start to turn a pink color and the sample with start to turn a green color.
    Now if it is spirulina there will be no change as h2o2 has little effect on the individual cells.

Quick and easy test to know what you have

Fuges are not recommend with the zeovit system, and since you have mention the red mat is in there, it will not be giving you true
    NO3 and PO4 reading as is feeding on it.

Alot of people use Coral snow and the cyano clean mixed together with good results

regards
    Nick B

Comment

Originally posted by NZ-Nick View Post
      Hi ya bmwm235i

Red mats can be of two things

!/ cyano
      2/ sprirulina

Taken off Posting on R2R

Take a portion of that red mat you see in your tank and place it into a cup with about 2 cups of tank water.
      Now add 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide
      Over the course of several hours you may start to see a change in the water and the color of your sample.
      If in fact it is the common cyanobacteria and not spirulina the water will start to turn a pink color and the sample with start to turn a green color.
      Now if it is spirulina there will be no change as h2o2 has little effect on the individual cells.

Quick and easy test to know what you have

Fuges are not recommend with the zeovit system, and since you have mention the red mat is in there, it will not be giving you true
      NO3 and PO4 reading as is feeding on it.

Alot of people use Coral snow and the cyano clean mixed together with good results

regards
      Nick B

Thanks for the tip. It's definitely Cyano, been doing this hobby long enough to know. As I mentioned in my post im not doing the zeovit system so the fuge is fine to run. Since KZ is very quiet on what's in slot of the blue bottles I am unsure if the AA, LPS AA, and the coral System AA is just to many AA. In addition to the vinegar smelling coral vitalizer and coral booster.

Comment

The nutrient level is high, Po4=0.05, which makes it difficult to show the appearance of pink-orange corals. Not sure what the initial nutritional level is? Is it rising? You need to start by reducing nutrition. This can slow down Cyano's chances of growth. If reducing nutrition is not your choice, temporarily stop the amino acid and LPS AA, the mixture CoralSnow+Zeo Bac x 7 days. In addition, please confirm RO/Di water, TDS=0

Comment

Originally posted by bmwm235i View Post

Thanks for the tip. It's definitely Cyano, been doing this hobby long enough to know. As I mentioned in my post im not doing the zeovit system so the fuge is fine to run. Since KZ is very quiet on what's in slot of the blue bottles I am unsure if the AA, LPS AA, and the coral System AA is just to many AA. In addition to the vinegar smelling coral vitalizer and coral booster.

Hey, it’s all good.

I have not used the coral system.

which is to be use if you do not want to use the individual bottles to manual adjust.

Bottle 3 is ur AA, AALPS and foods.
          so I would suggest not to double dose those like you mentioned.( darken and brown slime)

The other bottles seem to be trace elements.

this is where I would start looking also
          - are you dosing any other product for fudge growth- iodine ?

are you using bailing method- adding trace elements in to ur CA,MG,AKL
          - if so stop adding them

as they maybe in conflict with coral system B1,B2,B4

regards
          Nickb

Comment

Would recommend you to stop dosing all additives temporary as long as you treat cyanos. If they have gone completely you can slowly start doing the additives you have used before again but lets start with a slower dosage 1/3 for example which can be increased slowly over the next couple of weeks.

Please also check the quality of your RO water with a accurate TDS meter, it should give you a zero reading.

As Nick has mention you double the dosage of elements as you dose some elements separate, especially amino acids. Coral Vitalizer and FlatwormStop can be dosed additional to the coral system.

If possible dose 2 ml CoralSnow per 25 US gallons once daily for 2 weeks to treat the cyanos additional.

G.Alexander

Comment

Working...
            X