No announcement yet.

New start - some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• at this moment i'm not very interested in keeping the biology, the tank never worked properly, it's like this from more than 12 months. as i still have to start with zeovit, i prefere to clean the tank in the faster way possible.

Comment

• I would try the light blackout method first, it is quick and does usually have not a big impact to the system and their animals. If the dinos do come back again, treating them with a commercial product is a additional option.

G.Alexander

Comment

• blackout was tried some months ago, it didn't solved, as dino are still here

Comment

• actually i'm trying with water temp set to 29°
          if it doesn't work, i'll try again with a total blackout

Comment

• Originally posted by gandalf View Post
            I didn't check no3 for a while.
            po4: 0.02 checked yesterday
            kh: 8
            mg,ca: i don't know

yes, i've added the sand, but dinos was already here. I'm not dosing anything, except some zooplancton. I'm waiting for the zeo reactor to start zeovit (i'm waiting from the start of october!)

I've ordered DinoXal and Cyano RX, both are famous to remove dinos successfully. Let's see what happens.
            Do you know Dino X from Fauna Marin ? That is famous too

Hey,

Nothing changes fast in the hobby. In regards to issues like algae, dino, cyano and when things aren’t going right.
            It all takes time and patience.

And hey, you have made some changes but your getting there.

Another thing to keep in mind when you think you have a problems, issue is to ask ur self,

- is it effecting my coral
            - is it effecting my fish

I would say the 98% of the time the answer will be NO.

100 % of the time it is effecting you (us) as it no pretty to look at.
            This is where a lot of people get into this little cycle of buy and fix, buy and fix and end up chasing one thing after another.

Sometime by not doing anything ( keep up the basic, with water changes, and stable parameters) is very beneficial.

Now,
            I have never use the products you brought.
            Please let us know how Dino X goes.
            -it does have a mix reviews on forums.
            so be careful. Maybe add an air stone for added oxygen for your fish n coral.

- Blackout can work and may need to down a few time.
            - someone posted Zeobac helped the ridding dino
            - temp increase might help, I see your trying it.
            ( this might take a few weeks to see any sigh of change)
            - silac dosing has been quite popular ( inducing diatoms to out compete Dino)
            - dosing hydrogen peroxide 3% strength ( 1ml per 100l) has been known to remove cyano. But mixed reactions with dinos.
            - UV filters have been know to some forms of Dino

dinos die off is toxic so have extra carbon handy

Regards
            Nickb

Comment

• Originally posted by NZ-Nick View Post

Hey,

Nothing changes fast in the hobby. In regards to issues like algae, dino, cyano and when things aren’t going right.
              It all takes time and patience.

And hey, you have made some changes but your getting there.

Another thing to keep in mind when you think you have a problems, issue is to ask ur self,

- is it effecting my coral
              - is it effecting my fish

I would say the 98% of the time the answer will be NO.

100 % of the time it is effecting you (us) as it no pretty to look at.
              This is where a lot of people get into this little cycle of buy and fix, buy and fix and end up chasing one thing after another.

Sometime by not doing anything ( keep up the basic, with water changes, and stable parameters) is very beneficial.

Now,
              I have never use the products you brought.
              Please let us know how Dino X goes.
              -it does have a mix reviews on forums.
              so be careful. Maybe add an air stone for added oxygen for your fish n coral.

- Blackout can work and may need to down a few time.
              - someone posted Zeobac helped the ridding dino
              - temp increase might help, I see your trying it.
              ( this might take a few weeks to see any sigh of change)
              - silac dosing has been quite popular ( inducing diatoms to out compete Dino)
              - dosing hydrogen peroxide 3% strength ( 1ml per 100l) has been known to remove cyano. But mixed reactions with dinos.
              - UV filters have been know to some forms of Dino

dinos die off is toxic so have extra carbon handy

Regards
              Nickb

I forgot to add, increasing nutritions have helped with Dino too, so I wouldn’t be to concerned no3, p04 in chasing numbers at the moment.

the zeovite system will bring them down over time.

I would also dose zeobac while you are treating the tank.

Comment

• Just a correction: is not Dino X from Fauna Marin but DinoXal a different product

Comment

• What I want to say is: if there is a "root cause" problem, any method that is not effective is effective. The important thing is biology. Otherwise, the situation is just more complicated. I can't say that I am right, just some ideas and suggestions.

I have done the double addition of Zeo Bac and Zym, and other methods, and the actual experience does not help. Replaced by biological destruction

Dino does have toxins, it erodes unhealthy corals, and the health of corals is threatened. Therefore, the balance of basic water parameters is naturally particularly important, otherwise the health of corals will deteriorate and worse.

Unsuitable temperature affects bacteria and also affects the health of corals and changes biology.

You can try your way, but I want to say that if there is a "root cause" problem, the situation will repeat the test.

As G. said, turning off the light and completely shielding any light from entering is the safest and most effective method. It can also inhibit the growth of cyano.

Comment

• i think the root cause is this dry rock from caribsea.

Comment

• You can do the method mentioned by G. in #137 first, and clean the skimmer body and the collection cup at the same time. If you want, CoralSnow+Zeo Bac is another good choice, and adjust the skimmer to moisten for a period of time.

Comment

i think the root cause is this dry rock from caribsea.
                        You could be right,

but my understanding
                        - Dino usually occurs when po4 bottoms out to fast.

- Cyano - generally occurs when there is an imbalance between NO3 and P04.

water quality does impact on both. But you have fixes that ??

- I mentioned adding zeobac ( week ot two before chemical treatment and during ) as it might help the tank though the treatment with less side effects.

Comment

• 1. Get the absolute best pure water (with resin material)
                          2. What is the container for replacing with new water?
                          (What tools to use and how to dissolve the mixture)
                          3. Do you still have an impression of the materials of some devices, such as plastic materials such as hoses, which were modified by you yourself?
                          4.The main display system and sump parts of the pipe material, hoses, etc. contain plastic whether they are "normal"
                          5.Magnet brush material, wave generator, titration solution and container, exterior shell of lamp, anything that comes into contact with salt water, including siphon, etc., everything. Please also double check and check carefully.
                          6.If possible, as many of any pictures as possible, as many as possible, provide them as much as possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by NZ-Nick View Post
                            - Dino usually occurs when po4 bottoms out to fast.
                            This could be. I've used po4 resin...

- Cyano - generally occurs when there is an imbalance between NO3 and P04.
                            even this could be an issue, as i've dropped po4 from 0.16 to 0.02 in 3 weeks.

Comment

This could be. I've used po4 resin...

even this could be an issue, as i've dropped po4 from 0.16 to 0.02 in 3 weeks.
                              To be honest, you tank has had a few changes going on,
                              old sand out, new sand in, al resin, maybe some coral issues etc

Bottoming out P04 is 0
                              (you have had measurable P04)

So it may of been the tipping point
                              (A small part of the bigger picture )

Also reading through you page's here,

You have NOT told us where you No3 are !!

But you have cyano...so that will problaly feeing off ur No3 as you P04 is low-ish
                              (cyano can feed off one or the other )

How long have you had Cyano?
                              When did Dino appear ?

Hey, looking back to POST 109,

Your sump,
                              Behind the return pump. in return pump chamber there is alot of foaming- and maybe in a few other parts.
                              Your sump should not have anything thing like this.
                              Its a place to remove toxins, and clean your water to be return tank

The rock in the sump may also be storing alot of detritus, nutrient, so maybe a good idea to get it a GOOD CLEAN in old tank water at water change time and rearrange it so its all before the skimmer, or add to tank.

And help you and ur tank move forward

Regards
                              NickB

Comment

• this tank is absolutely a mess, i always had cyano , the dinos, then cyano, the dinos and so on. from the start , more or less

i did multiple water changes some times ago but they didn't solved anything.

i'll measure no3 tomorrow

Sand was removed tring to fix the issues, then when po4 was dropped from 0.16 to 0.05 or so, i've added the new sand

Comment

Working...
                                X