what makes my barium cross the threshold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what makes my barium cross the threshold

Hello friends. I just received the results of my ICP test, was surprised with the barium level above the allowable limit. What do you think is the cause? coral feet show signs of bleaching
    I am using: ZEOvit, Activated Charcoal, ZEObak, ZEOfood plus, ZEOstart, Sponge Power, Pohl's Xtra Special, Coral Vitalizer, Amino Acid Concentrate, Acro Glow, Coral Snow, Bio-Mate

I have no good experience on this issue, and I cannot tell you whether the element barium has unhealthy effects on corals. At present, I can only get some preliminary ideas from the coral appearance, rock materials and biology in the picture, but it is not very clear. You can fill in the basic information about your tank and you will learn more

From the signs shown by the corals in the picture (bottom TN), let us check the salinity level (precision salinity meter, it is correct), and obtain the cross-comparison of different test kits (KH, Ca, K+). Of course the Mg level is also Need to be maintained at the correct level (ZeoVit system: Kh6.5-7.5 Ca400-420 Mg1250-1300 K+~380g)

It is unclear whether the zeolite material and KZ activated carbon are used and the quantity/flow rate used

These two components have affected many levels, especially the current coral health (coral bottom) has been impaired

You can fill in the basic information about your tank and you will learn more

Comment

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - 250 gallons / 1000 liter
      2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - 800liter
      3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique - No
      4. Are you using a PO4 reactor - No
      5. Are you using Ozone - No
      6. Are you using UV - No
      7. What skimmer are you using - BBK suppermarine 250
      8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels - PO4 0.02; NO3 2
      9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels - Alk 7; Mg 1400; Ca 430 redsea testkit and 528 ICP test
      10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.) - No
      11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.) 6 radion xr30 mode AB+ 12h/day
      12. What corals do you keep - most sps
      13. Tissue color (light or dark) - light
      14. How long has the tank been running - two months
      15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system - Simple nutrition control
      16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.) - No
      17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.) - I just reused some old filter porcelain from the old reef
      18. Any present problems - bleached coral feet
      19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.) - the first month the coral thrives, by the second month it seems that the coral stops growing, the color starts to fade. There is TN phenomenon in some corals
      20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.) - redsea test kit
      21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.) - Zeovit 2liter flow 300l/h; Activated carbon 0,5liter exchange every month; ZEObak 10drop/2 times a week; ZEOfood plus 20drop/3 times a week; ZEOstart 1ml/day; Sponge Power 10drop/3 times a week; Pohl’s Xtra Special 10ml/day; Coral Vitalizer 10 drop/3 times a week; Amino Acid Concentrate 10 drop/3 times a week; Acro Glow 5 drop/3 times a week; Bio-Mate 10drop/week
      22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.) - salinity 1026; temp 25,5-26,5*C
      23. Which salt brand do you use - TROPIC MARIN PRO – REEF
      Last edited by Chippinguyen; 08-09-2021, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jacky View Post
        I have no good experience on this issue, and I cannot tell you whether the element barium has unhealthy effects on corals. At present, I can only get some preliminary ideas from the coral appearance, rock materials and biology in the picture, but it is not very clear. You can fill in the basic information about your tank and you will learn more

From the signs shown by the corals in the picture (bottom TN), let us check the salinity level (precision salinity meter, it is correct), and obtain the cross-comparison of different test kits (KH, Ca, K+). Of course the Mg level is also Need to be maintained at the correct level (ZeoVit system: Kh6.5-7.5 Ca400-420 Mg1250-1300 K+~380g)

It is unclear whether the zeolite material and KZ activated carbon are used and the quantity/flow rate used

These two components have affected many levels, especially the current coral health (coral bottom) has been impaired

You can fill in the basic information about your tank and you will learn more
        I just added my reeftank info. Are my corals starving?

Comment

1. Total water volume of your complete system (including tanks, etc.) - 250 gallons / 1000 liters
          2. Net volume (including tank, etc.) - US gallon / UK gallon / liter
          3. Are you using CaCO2 reactor or other technique - No
          6. Are you using UV - No
          7. Which skimmer are you using - BBK supermarine 250
          8. What is your actual PO4 and NO3 Levels - PO4 0.02; NO3 2
          9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg concentrations - Alk 7; Mg 1400; Ca 430 redsea testkit and 528 ICP test
          10. What filtering method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc) - No
          11. Light type (Watt, color temperature, how old, etc.) 6 radion xr30 AB + 12h/day modes
          12. What corals do you keep - most species
          14. How long has the tank been in operation - two months
          15. Why you want to use the ZEOvit system - Simple Nutritional Control
          16. Any additional dosage (type, amount, why, etc.) - No
          17. Live rock (how old, how old, etc) - I just reused some old filter porcelain from the old reef
          18. Any current problem - bleached coral feet
          19. Description of the problem (head loss tissue, root loss tissue, algal blooms, algae, etc.) - the first month the coral thrives, the second month the coral stops growing, the color starts to fade . There is TN phenomenon in some coral species
          20. What test kit do you use (how old are you, recently switched, etc.) - redsea test kit
          21. Presentation of dosage, amount and duration (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.) - Zeovit 2 liters flow rate 300l/h; Activated carbon replace 0.5 liters per month; ZEObak 10 drops / 2 times a week; ZEOfood plus 20 drops / 3 times a week; ZEOstart 1ml/day; Sponge Power 10 drops / 3 times a week; Pohl's Xtra Special 10ml/day; Coral Vitalizer 10 drops / 3 times a week; Amino Acid Concentrate 10 drops / 3 times a week; Acro Glow 5 drops / 3 times a week; Bio-Mate 10 drops/week
          22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temperature, etc.) - salinity 1026; temp 25.5-26.5 * OLD
          23. What brand of salt do you use - TROPIC MARIN PRO - REEF

Comment

Thank you for replying to the basic message, but I am sorry, I am not very clear, my language skills are limited.

No, the coral doesn't look hungry

What I want to say in #2

What kind of salinity meter is used?

What is The net water volume?

Generally, if magnesium is not added, it is usually not at 1400 level, and the basic water parameters are high. Let's start with the "salinity correct" check, and use different test packages to cross check (KH-CA and K+),Get the correct level and be as stable as possible (quite important)

The volume of the net water volume is related to the zeolite material and the quantity and flow rate of KZ carbon

Comment

Originally posted by G.Alexander View Post
              1. Total water volume of your complete system (including tanks, etc.) - 250 gallons / 1000 liters
              2. Net volume (including tank, etc.) - US gallon / UK gallon / liter
              3. Are you using CaCO2 reactor or other technique - No
              6. Are you using UV - No
              7. Which skimmer are you using - BBK supermarine 250
              8. What is your actual PO4 and NO3 Levels - PO4 0.02; NO3 2
              9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg concentrations - Alk 7; Mg 1400; Ca 430 redsea testkit and 528 ICP test
              10. What filtering method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc) - No
              11. Light type (Watt, color temperature, how old, etc.) 6 radion xr30 AB + 12h/day modes
              12. What corals do you keep - most species
              14. How long has the tank been in operation - two months
              15. Why you want to use the ZEOvit system - Simple Nutritional Control
              16. Any additional dosage (type, amount, why, etc.) - No
              17. Live rock (how old, how old, etc) - I just reused some old filter porcelain from the old reef
              18. Any current problem - bleached coral feet
              19. Description of the problem (head loss tissue, root loss tissue, algal blooms, algae, etc.) - the first month the coral thrives, the second month the coral stops growing, the color starts to fade . There is TN phenomenon in some coral species
              20. What test kit do you use (how old are you, recently switched, etc.) - redsea test kit
              21. Presentation of dosage, amount and duration (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.) - Zeovit 2 liters flow rate 300l/h; Activated carbon replace 0.5 liters per month; ZEObak 10 drops / 2 times a week; ZEOfood plus 20 drops / 3 times a week; ZEOstart 1ml/day; Sponge Power 10 drops / 3 times a week; Pohl's Xtra Special 10ml/day; Coral Vitalizer 10 drops / 3 times a week; Amino Acid Concentrate 10 drops / 3 times a week; Acro Glow 5 drops / 3 times a week; Bio-Mate 10 drops/week
              22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temperature, etc.) - salinity 1026; temp 25.5-26.5 * OLD
              23. What brand of salt do you use - TROPIC MARIN PRO - REEF
              Thanks. I just edited my post

Comment

First thing I would recommend is to get a new Ca test kit as yours seem to be not accurate. Please also cross check the KH with a different test kit to make sure your test is accurate.

Otherwise I can not see anything special however the system is just 2 month old and the biology is still improving which can take some additional time. Are the rocks you have used live rock from another system or are those dry rocks which are massive and compact instead of porous ?

I have seen some systems with a elevated barium level over the years but the elevated levels seem not to have a impact to the corals.

Here are two example threads:

https://forum.zeovit.com/forum/gener...by-high-barium

https://forum.zeovit.com/forum/gener...-zeovit-barium

I would not do anything special, just some smaller changes to your dosing regimen:

ZeoBac – 10 drops 2 – 3 x weekly
                ZeoStart – 1 ml 2 x daily
                ZeoFood – 10 drops 2 x weekly
                SpongePower – 10 drops 3 x weekly
                BioMate – 20 drops 2 x weekly
                XTra – 5 ml 1 x weekly
                CoralVitalizer – 10 drops 2 x weekly
                AcroGlow – 5 drps 2 x weekly

The ZeoVit reactor flow is to low also, should be ~ 1000 liters per hour however at the moment while the corals show basal TN I would not change it, you can do this later once the corals have recovered.

Do a weekly water change of 10 – 15%

G.Alexander

Comment

Thank you for replying to the basic message, but I am sorry, I am not very clear, my language skills are limited.

No, the coral doesn't look hungry

What I want to say in #2

What kind of salinity meter is used?

What is The net water volume?

Generally, if magnesium is not added, it is usually not at 1400 level, and the basic water parameters are high. Let's start with the "salinity correct" check, and use different test packages to cross check (KH-CA and K+),Get the correct level and be as stable as possible (quite important)

The volume of the net water volume is related to the zeolite material and the quantity and flow rate of KZ carbon

Sorry. I just edited my post

What type of salinity meter to use? refractometer

What is the actual mass of water? about 800 liters

I have never supplemented with Mg. but still very high. my target is Mg 1300

Comment

Thank you G. for your help, as #8 said. Start with the basic water parameters to ensure that the level is correct, biologically young and dry rock materials may be a problem (unsure)

Comment

Originally posted by G.Alexander View Post
                      First thing I would recommend is to get a new Ca test kit as yours seem to be not accurate. Please also cross check the KH with a different test kit to make sure your test is accurate.

Otherwise I can not see anything special however the system is just 2 month old and the biology is still improving which can take some additional time. Are the rocks you have used live rock from another system or are those dry rocks which are massive and compact instead of porous ?

I have seen some systems with a elevated barium level over the years but the elevated levels seem not to have a impact to the corals.

Here are two example threads:

https://forum.zeovit.com/forum/gener...by-high-barium

https://forum.zeovit.com/forum/gener...-zeovit-barium

I would not do anything special, just some smaller changes to your dosing regimen:

ZeoBac – 10 drops 2 – 3 x weekly
                      ZeoStart – 1 ml 2 x daily
                      ZeoFood – 10 drops 2 x weekly
                      SpongePower – 10 drops 3 x weekly
                      BioMate – 20 drops 2 x weekly
                      XTra – 5 ml 1 x weekly
                      CoralVitalizer – 10 drops 2 x weekly
                      AcroGlow – 5 drps 2 x weekly

The ZeoVit reactor flow is to low also, should be ~ 1000 liters per hour however at the moment while the corals show basal TN I would not change it, you can do this later once the corals have recovered.

Do a weekly water change of 10 – 15%

G.Alexander
                      I reduced the flow from 600l/h to 300l/h when I saw my No3 and po4 down to 0. Will low No3 and Po4 affect the health and growth of my corals?

Comment

Thank you G. for your help, as #8 said. Start with the basic water parameters to ensure that the level is correct, biologically young and dry rock materials may be a problem (unsure)
                        I used this filter ceramic from an old system

Comment

The URL of the link in #8. I don’t think it’s too much to worry about, it shouldn’t have a negative impact on corals, and this element does not seem to be stable. In addition, that’s why I personally don’t use this material as a biological filter.

The first priority is to stop the coral and continue TN

Low NO3 and PO4 are definitely the best for coral health and growth. The reactor flow rate is from high to low, which will affect certain aspects, such as the increase in nutrient levels. Due to the current TN of Coral plus changing the reactor flow rate, it is recommended not to change too much (in addition to the suggestion of #8, it also allows us to confirm the current phosphate level and the current actual reactor flow rate) also let us implement weekly water changes 10%

As you described, you never added magnesium. Basically, for all salt mixtures on the market, the value will not be 1400 at the correct salinity level, otherwise the test package is abnormal or the test is wrong.

Do you use purified water (TDS=0) as the water used?
                          Last edited by jacky; 08-10-2021, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Hi ya all.

this barium is an interesting one.

Just mixed up some redsea calcium foundation.
                            it contains Ca, Sr, Ba.

googling around
                            faunamarine-barium - they state active carbon, cements, and foods as source ?!?!

removal - water changes - removal active carbon and aluminium-based phosphate adsorbers.

they mention high barium and low iodine - tissue turning gray ?!?

Regards
                            NickB

Comment

Thank you everyone for the useful information

Comment

Working...
                              X