Brand new setup - dry rock and zeovit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand new setup - dry rock and zeovit

I have an empty 310 gallon in my basement and the zeovit system really speaks to me. I see in the manual that they recommend live rock. I was planning on starting with dry rock on this build to avoid pests (not to mention how hard it is to find good live rock these days) and am looking for advice on how to do this. Any guidance or should I try to source some “cured” rock from somewhere? Thanks for all the help in advance!

Basically, I don’t think there is any need to worry about the problem of "pests". 1. The problem of pests has almost never caused serious/harm/necessity problems in the initial cycle tank. 2. High-quality live rock is positive for biology. Impact 3. With the entry of new corals, you can’t avoid this pest problem 100% (there is always everything hidden in the gaps

If dry rock material is your choice, getting some old zeolite material in the Zeo system seems to be a good choice, which may help speed up the process

However, I still recommend you to use high-quality and fresh live rock (also recommended by the Zeo guide)

Comment

You can also do "quarantine" on high-quality and fresh live rock, but to be honest, it is difficult for us to completely avoid it 100%. In another way, the display system uses dry rock material and adds live rock to the Sump, but this is also not 100% avoiding pests. Even if the dry rock material is completely used, as long as new coral is brought in (including quarantine), it will be the same (it falls short). And it will take more than half a year before the biology is stable. To sum up the above considerations, biological health and stability are more important than dry rock materials than pests. "Health and stability biology" is an important foundation for everything in coral reefs.

Comment

Welcome to ZeoVit.com !

If you decide to use dry rock the cycle will take much more time but basically it is necessary. The cycle method does not differ form the live rock so here you can find a step by step guide:

https://forum.zeovit.com/forum/gener...803#post290803

Adding some rock from another system will be helpful for the biology, additional adding some sand from a running system to be mixed with the fresh sand will improve the biology also.

Adding some old ZeoBit material from a already existing system is a additional possibility, the material should be used as a biological filtration material in a mash bag in the sump additional to the material used in the reactor.

G.Alexander

Comment

Thank you for the information. I will see if i can source at least SOME live rock and ZeoVit Material from a local reefer. I understand that dry rock will take longer to become stable. Do you recommend following the guide from day 1 of starting up the tank or should I allow the tank to cycle prior to starting with ZeoVit (6 months or so)? Thanks again!

Comment

I did my 150g with dry rock about a year ago. If I did it again I would do 1/2 the recommended dose for the 14 day cycle. Everything went according to plan, I did have bacterial bloom that lasted about 2 week, I would say take it slow on adding the fish, add like 1 hardy tang (Zebrasoma) I added fish a little to quickly and had some losses but it’s dry rock so not that much bacteria yet, I added lots of coral they seem to do well. I think you need to go a little slower because of the dry rock but I’m happy with the results so far

Comment

I would recommend to follow the dosing regimen of the above link from the beginning with the high recommended dosage for the startup instead of cycling the system in a different way first. I have never cycled a system with lower initial dosage so I can not really commend on it but a little bit less should not have much of a impact.

G.Alexander

Comment

Working...
              X