First post, Zeovit 90 gallon Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First post, Zeovit 90 gallon Tank

Hello zeovit world, my name is josh. I am currently running a 4ftx2ft mixed reef tank, my tank is about 4 years old now. I have been through a 5 gallon tank, to a 20 gallon, then to my current tank within the first 6 months of reef keeping. My goal with this post is to get tips, recommendations and perhaps changes in my current routines to create optimal results in the future for my tank. I ran zeovit for a little under half a year as an experiment with a DIY PVC reactor, skipped out on it for another half year...liked the results and have now been running a much better setup for about 2 months now.

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter 120 gallons appx.
    2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter 85gal
    3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique No
    4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) No
    5. Are you using Ozone No
    6. Are you using UV No
    7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume) Reef octopus 150, set dry w/ co2 scrubber on inlet
    8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels .012 P04 and nitrate is low, i will retest tomorrow and update the post
    9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels Cal 450, Alk 7.0, Mg 1240
    10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.) Filter roller, Bubble Magus Med. size
    11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.) 4 bulb T5 ( Kz bulbs: blue, Coral light, Fiji Purple, blue) with good reflectors, planning to switch to 6 Bulb ATI within next month
    12. What corals do you keep SPS and LPS
    13. Tissue color (light or dark) mixed bag, some sps are lighter, some are darker and lack coloration despite growing
    14. How long has the tank been running 4 years ,
    15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system Grow more SPS with nice results in color, comfortably keep higher end LPS corals as well, eventually upgrade to large tank system
    16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.) Aqua forest ALK, Cal - Alk between 15-20mL /day based on testing results, calcium i havent had to dose as much - doser not set on auto for cal
    17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.) 1 caribsea rock tower, additionally i have rock in tank but unsure of total weight, will update post with pictures - i will add the original rock that was live when purchased - do not know total age
    18. Any present problems LPS responding very well since switching to KZ, SPS seem to be showing color and fair polyp extension. Initially had a bit of algae (brown) buildup from start of zeo system during the first week or two - was corrected quickly. My neighbor has a similar setup but is not running zeovit, and i really believe his tank grows sps frags much faster than mine despite not running T5 and using same salt/water source.
    19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.) No algae problems to report, lost a medium sized acro colony rapidly ( less than a weeks time), decreased flow through reactor to about 60-65 gph from 80gph, no other acro issues aside from that particular one. I will add that It was a newly purchased coral, fresh in from shipment. great PE for first few weeks, suddenly bleached. My personal opinion was maybe negative reaction to where it was mounted (upper 1/3 of tank) no other signs of sickness prior.
    20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.) Trident, Hanna alk and low range phosphate, Salifert nitrate and red sea calcium test kits ( do not trust trident calcium tests) none are expired.
    21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.)
    Currently using 1L zeovit in 2L Avast Vibe reactor, ZEObak was initially dosed per the guide, now dosing 6 drops 2x weekly, Zeofood at 8 drops x2 weekly, zeostart .75mL x2 weekly, coral booster 4mL x2 weekly ( i have done this for over a year off and on) KZ carbon in media bag per recommended amount for my system. I am also feeding corals with redsea A/B, sometimes reef roids mixed with a couple drops of brightwell A/A (maybe twice, 3 times a week )
    22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.) 1.026 at 77f, +/- 1*f daily
    23. Which salt brand do you use Tropic marin pro reef salt

thank you in advance for any advice or parameters to check.

-josh
    Last edited by jbuckley; 06-20-2021, 11:20 AM.

Here are a few pics from today of the tank.

Comment

1. What is the net water volume?

(With this value, we can recommend more, it is related to the quantity/flow rate of zeolite material, Zeo product dosage, and there is a conventional recommended dosage)

2.What is the potassium level? Have you tested it, let us get the actual level of potassium test package release

3. Lighting, I don’t have very good experience, but the spectrum looks a little blue. It is recommended to use a naturally balanced spectrum, which would be better (maybe, blue x2, white x2)

4. Get Zeo SpongePower product, which has a good effect on biological side effects

Comment

1. What is the net water volume?

my gross is 120gal, my net appx 85gal between rock and equipment

(With this value, we can recommend more, it is related to the quantity/flow rate of zeolite material, Zeo product dosage, and there is a conventional recommended dosage)

2.What is the potassium level? Have you tested it, let us get the actual level of potassium test package release I just tested twice in a row at 430-420ppm, salifert test kit with exp 6/22

3. Lighting, I don’t have very good experience, but the spectrum looks a little blue. It is recommended to use a naturally balanced spectrum, which would be better (maybe, blue x2, white x2) I believe the camera shows it more blue than it appears, but the bulbs are 2 KZ blues, one coral light, one Fiji purple - should I change this?

4. Get Zeo SpongePower product, which has a good effect on biological side effects I have a bottle of sponge power, how do you suggest adding this product?

thank you for the reply jacky
        Last edited by jbuckley; 06-20-2021, 11:21 AM.

Comment

The net water volume 85gal=340 liters

The zeolite material is about 0.85 liters, and the maximum flow through the zeolite material reactor outlet is 340 liters (use a small container, collect the reactor outlet, volume x120, so that you can get a continuous flow)

Use KZ carbon, about 0.34 liters, use a mesh bag, fly passively, and change every 30 days.

Zeo Bac 3 drops, 2-3 times a week
          Zeo Start 0.34ml x 2 times, morning and evening every day
          Zeo SpongePower 3 drops every other day
          Zeo Food and Booster and Red Sea A/B
          temporarily stop adding
          (Most corals look deep and dark, and coral polyps look closed and seem to have too many trace elements and nutrients)

Zeo CoralSnow 3ml every other day (recommended)
          6 drops of BioMate every other day (optional)
          (The quantity and flow rate of zeolite material and ZeoStart dosage, let us make adjustments slowly and gradually, about 2-3 weeks, please also remember that the nutrient level should not rise in a slow/gradual/even distribution process)

Let's change the water 15%, do it 3 times, in an interval of 10 days, refresh the elements in a balanced manner, and at the same time vacuum the sand to siphon the sediment outlet, clean the skimmer collection cup, and make it more outlets.

The basic water parameters look good, the Ca level is high, keep it at the NSW level as much as possible, keep inline

Kh 6.5-7.5
          Ca 400-420
          Ma 1250-1300
          K+~380g

For the lighting spectrum, for a 340-liter system, the white tube seems insufficient. (I personally will try white x2 blue x2)

Comment

Hello Josh and welcome to ZeoVit.com !

I would recommend you too run 2 white bulbs / 1 blue bulb and 1 purple bulb.

G.Alexander

Comment

Jacky and G. Alexander thank you for the advice. I will begin making the changes starting today.

Jacky for the water change, do you mean 15% water change done 3x for a total change of 45% in the end?

Comment

Yes, your understanding is correct, this refreshes the elements in a balanced way, while vacuuming the sand for more sediment outlets

Comment

Originally posted by jacky View Post
                  Yes, your understanding is correct, this refreshes the elements in a balanced way, while vacuuming the sand for more sediment outlets
                  perfect, thank you. Today I completed the first 15% water change with vacuum sand bed, and began zeostart .34mL morning/evening dose,

ordering bulbs to refresh my originals tomorrow morning. I will change to 2x white, blue, purple per recommendation. Will begin coral snow as well.

Comment

ZeoStart helps the reproduction of nitrifying bacteria, which basically "eat" phosphate and nitrate. We should provide energy for bacterial food at least x2 times a day to maintain the bacteria, thereby affecting the low stability of nutrients, instead of the weekly dose in #1.

Comment

For example: after 30 seconds of collection, it is 5 liters, 5 liters x120=600 (continuous flow per hour)
                      Last edited by jacky; 06-22-2021, 01:10 AM.

Comment

This is another calculation method (#9)

https://forum.zeovit.com/forum/gener...nformation-faq

Comment

Should I order any additional KZ products in the mean time for the next steps? My new bulbs arrive Friday.

I currently have a 2 bottles of zeobak, 1 bottle of zeostart, 1 new bottle of coral snow, 1 coral vitalizer, 1 biomate,1 coral enhancer, 1 sponge power and zeo food, 2 extra bags of zeolite, 2 bags of carbon

any recommended purchases are welcome. I will perform another 15% water change Friday or Saturday.

thank you!

Comment

Xtra and Zeo AA and B-Balance are also good

Comment

Just posting an update, everything is still doing well. Should I continue with the recommended dosing that you provided Jacky? Any changes .? Thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X