• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for my 180 gallon tank

Tell us about your Tank

01-23-2005, 07:09 AM
    Tell us about your tank.
    Please give us answers to the following questions in order to get more accurate dosing recommendations.

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter
    220 us gallons
    2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter
    180 is gallons
    3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique.
    Yes CaCO2 reactor
    4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) No
    5. Are you using Ozone. No
    6. Are you using UV. No
    7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume)
    Skimz. 500 gallon
    8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels. 1.1ppm and 40ppm
    9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels. Ca 459. Alk 7.11 and Mg 1400
    10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.) No
    11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.). Giessemen Aurora 60 inch light
    12. What corals do you keep. LPS, SPS and leathers
    13. Tissue color (light or dark) Medium to dark
    14. How long has the tank been running. Two years
    15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system. Have reactor and like the colors. It seemed interesting to do
    16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.). No
    17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.)
    18. Any present problems Little cyano and brown diatoms
    19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.). Cyano and brown diatoms
    20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.) KH guardian, Red Sea for Mg and Hannah for Ca. Pretty new test kits
    21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, 1.2 liters ZEObak, 6 drops 2x weekly ZEOfood 14 drops 3x weekly , ZEOstart 1.6 ml daily , that’s it, etc.)
    22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.)1.025 check with Milwaukee tester
    23. Which salt brand do you use. Reef crystals

I know there are a lot of questions. Please be as detailed (and honest) as possible and feel free to elaborate on anything else you think may be important.
    Water volume
    710 liters
    Giesemann Aurora light fixture 5 ft. 1300mm.
    6 inch, Aquarium
    Tell us about your Tank

I know there are a lot of questions. Please be as detailed (and honest) as possible and feel free to elaborate on anything else you think may be important.
    engineering calcium reactor
    Apex classic
    dKH 6.9-7.11
    NO3 40ppm
    PO4 1.1ppm
    4 liter zeovit reactor
    1 liter of zeovit zeolites
    BRS premium ROX 0.8 carbon
    COR 20 return pump
    Ca 459
    Mg 1400
    Thanks in advance for your time and assistance!
    Im currently following the recommended schedule for zeovit dosing
    I have followed schedule for a month and 10 days.
    zeobac 6drops 2x a weekly and every day for 10 days after zeolite exchange
    zeo start3, 1.6ml daily except for week of zeofood.
    zeofood7 14 drops 3x weekly and 36 drops daily for one week after zeolite change
    I put reactor in timer 3hr on and off for first month 200 liters per hour and after exchange increased flow to 300 liters per hour.
    Skimz 500e protein skimmer
    No ozone
    no UV
    Klir 7 filter roller
    salinity 1.025
    Last edited by Chueco; 06-08-2021, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Regarding your system is 180 US gallons net water volume, the amount of zeolite material should be 1.75 liters, reduce the nutritional basic product: Zeo Bac 7 drops 2-3 times a week, Zeo Start 0.7ml x2 daily morning/night, Zeo SpongePower 7 drops Every other day (let's use Sponge Power instead of Zeo Food, and Zeo Food will be reserved for later adjustment of coral appearance), the reactor's continuous flow rate should be 700 liters per hour (if the corals are all healthy, have you tested the flow rate?) Make the skimmer wet as much as possible, clean the collection cup to make it clean, more outlets, and vacuum out as much sediment in the sand as possible.

Is the Ro/di quality good? Have you tested
      Does activated carbon brand carbon extract extra nutrients? Take some immersed in pure water, test the test kit, and clarify this item is very good.

Comment

Welcome to ZeoVit.com !

As Jacky has mention your calculation for the dosage and the ZeoVit quantity / flow is not correct, lets adjust it first, it might be a good idea to increase the quantity and the flow of the reactor in two steps over a 2 – 3 week period.

The PO4 level is very high already, have you had this issue before starting with ZeoVit ? What have you used to control PO4 before you started with ZeoVit ?

G.Alexander

Comment

Yes I had high phosphates before starting zeovit. I was using rowa phos passively in a sock to reduce phosphates also GFO passively in a sock. I will make skimmate more wet and I have purchased a smaller gravel vacuum to get more sediment from gravel. I will also increase my flow and yes I have tested flow to get right output. I will also follow Jakcy’s dosage recommendations. To answer Jakcy’s question yes I do have RODI and I have a tds meter on it. It’s 0 tds. I recently serviced the RODI filters I exchanged sediment, carbon and the membrane filters. I’m going to exchange resin next. Again thank you guys for your time and I will implement all of your suggestions today. I will update all parameters later on today, as well. Thanks! To both of you!
          Last edited by Chueco; 06-09-2021, 04:45 PM.

Comment

ZeoVit system does not recommend additional ways to reduce nutrients, such as rowa phos, temporary use is possible, I would recommend reducing the number of rowa phos to 1/2, while maintaining the correct basis to reduce the dose of nutritional products, such as G. said That way, slowly and gradually increase the material/flow rate within 2-3 weeks, closely monitor the phosphate level, and it should not rise. The additional BioMate is also a good choice. In this process of reducing nutrients (2 to 3 weeks), the basic water parameters should also be slow to the NSW level, which is also very important.

Kh 6.5~7.5
            Ca 400~420
            Mg 1250~1300
            K+~380g

Comment

I just finished doing my test.
              dKH, 7.03
              Ca, 474 Hannah
              Mg, 1280 Red Sea
              PO4 high 1.7. I had to dilute sample twice because phosphates were out of range for Hannah checker.
              NO3, 20 Aquaforest
              I have added 1/2 liter of zeolites to reactor and increased the flow from 300 to 400 liters per hour I will increase 50 liters per day until I reach 700 liters per day. I also dosed sponge power 7 drops per your recommendation. I also dosed 0.7 ml of Zeostart3 twice a day.
              When I started Zeovit I removed the rowa phos from system per recommendation of schedule usage. Should I use it again to reduce phosphates?
              I also will start to dose BioMate per your recommendation.
              Thanks you so much guys. I really appreciate your help!
              P.S. My corals look good. Albeit, dark colors. I’m really surprised that phosphates went up! The only thing different I’ve done is add more dry rock to my system, about 30lbs of new rock. I think that created a mini cycle. The odd thing though, is that nitrates are going down from last time I tested. Thanks!

Comment

Thank you for your update. The basic water parameters except Ca are perfect, keep them as stabile as possible. Let the Ca level drop to ~ 400 mg and hold it there stabile.

PO4 is really high, main problem is that you have remove the PO4 absorber you have used before all at once when you started ZeoVit. ZeoVit does need some time before it starts to process nutrients effective, up to a couple of weeks so after removing the absorber there was nothing which has removed PO4 for some time which is the reason for the increase. While the transfer it is always better to remove the absorber slowly step by step over a couple of weeks, this will prevent those PO4 spikes. At the moment I would not recommend to add the PO4 absorber again, maybe dosing CoralSnowPlus might be a good idea.

G.Alexander

Comment

If you have completely removed the adsorbent, keep using the complete Zeo system product, as G. said CoralSnow Plus (I lost this good method, I condemn myself), (To G. Maybe at the same time. Can I use BioMate?)

Comment

Thanks for advice. It makes perfect sense. I will star dosing coral snow and will get K testing kit. Will keep ey on phosphates and will update soon. Thank you both. Have a good day.

Comment

Zeo CoralSnow and Zeo CoralSnow Plus are different products. CoralSnow does not reduce nutrition, and Snow Plus has the effect of reducing phosphate.

Comment

Originally posted by jacky View Post
                        I(To G. Maybe at the same time. Can I use BioMate?)
                        For sure Jacky it will improve the biology additional and support the process to reduce PO4.

G.Alexander

Comment

Originally posted by G.Alexander View Post

For sure Jacky it will improve the biology additional and support the process to reduce PO4.

G.Alexander

Thank you G. Because most people seem to seldom talk about using Zeo CoralSnow Plus and using both (BioMate) at the same time. Now I understand. Thank you

Comment

Thanks guys! I understand that coral snow plus is different than coral snow. I have coral snow at hand, and I dosed 7 ml into my tank. Whoa! It cleared the water and make everything sparkling! Great product!! I ordered coral snow plus and will arrive on June 17, as well as, K potassium test kit. I started Biomate yesterday. I will test for PO4 phosphates today. Will update with results. SPS are extending and show white growing tips. LPS are fully swollen and showing good health as the leathers (soft) are also swelling well, but the colors are still dark . Thanks again!, for all of your help G. Alexander and Jacky!

Comment

Good afternoon. Good night for you in Europe. I got coral snow plus 2 days ago. I have dosed tank and phosphates are still high. Over 1 ppm. Will continue dosing and hope phosphate levels go down. My corals are dark but growing, slowly. Will continue with the prescribed program you advise me on. Have increased flow to 700 liters per hour and will change carbon today to passive flow instead of in zeovit reactor. Will update on the 21st of June. Again, thanks a million for your advice and time! If you have any other suggestions please advise. Will try to follow as closely as possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X